Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Register birth or make passport?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Register birth or make passport?

    Hi guys,

    Please could you advise me. I'm a British ex pat and my wife is WNI. We are lucky to be blessed with a gorgeous son nearly 1 month ago. We are now thinking of relocating back to the UK sometime next year. We have made the Indonesian birth certificate. Should I register the birth with the UK Home Office? It says that to make a passport it's not necessary to register the birth.

    So I'm thinking is there any point registering the birth with HO if we plan to make a passport application for him anyway.
    Any advice would be great. Thanks

    Ross

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ross1 View Post
    ... Should I register the birth with the UK Home Office? It says that to make a passport it's not necessary to register the birth.

    So I'm thinking is there any point registering the birth with HO if we plan to make a passport application for him anyway ...

    Ross , I don't know much but I think that it is important to check what UK requires from an Indonesian birth certificate to consider it legal in UK . It may not necessary now , but as you want to live in UK , one day in the future a government department may ask for the certificate and its legality (according to UK rules) may be questioned .

    For example , NCS requires (see below) the birth certificate + a translation , so better get it translated in Indonesia as it will be a lot cheaper .

    Some countries require a legalization of the Indonesian documents .
    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ocuments-where (where to legalize Indonesian documents)


    --------------------------------------

    (from http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/20..._service_ncs/4)

    Nationality Checking Service (NCS)
    Documents required for registering a child as a British Citizen
    Children born in UK
    ......

    Children born outside of the UK

    - Completed MN1 application form with two referees and written consent from both parents
    - Proof child has indefinite leave to remain
    - Proof both parents have indefinite leave to remain
    - Proof the child has been living in the UK for the last two years (passports, travel documents and school/ college letters)
    - Full birth certificate and a translation
    - Passport or visa used to enter the UK (not essential)
    - Both parents passports - Evidence they are applying with at least one parent, or that one parent is British and the other has indefinite leave to remain, or that both parents are British)
    - If the parents are separated and one parent is living abroad, they must write a signed letter stating that they give up parental rights and custody, that they consent to the child becoming British, and that the child will live in the UK permanently. If both parents are in the UK, but one parent doesn't have indefinite leave to remain, the child will have to wait until the parent without indefinite gets it.
    - Marriage certificate if parents are married
    - Home Office fees (depending on the type of application)

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by marcus View Post


      Ross , I don't know much but I think that it is important to check what UK requires from an Indonesian birth certificate to consider it legal in UK . It may not necessary now , but as you want to live in UK , one day in the future a government department may ask for the certificate and its legality (according to UK rules) may be questioned .

      For example , NCS requires (see below) the birth certificate + a translation , so better get it translated in Indonesia as it will be a lot cheaper .

      Some countries require a legalization of the Indonesian documents .
      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ocuments-where (where to legalize Indonesian documents)


      --------------------------------------

      (from http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/info/20..._service_ncs/4)

      Nationality Checking Service (NCS)
      Documents required for registering a child as a British Citizen
      Children born in UK
      ......

      Children born outside of the UK

      - Completed MN1 application form with two referees and written consent from both parents
      - Proof child has indefinite leave to remain
      - Proof both parents have indefinite leave to remain
      - Proof the child has been living in the UK for the last two years (passports, travel documents and school/ college letters)
      - Full birth certificate and a translation
      - Passport or visa used to enter the UK (not essential)
      - Both parents passports - Evidence they are applying with at least one parent, or that one parent is British and the other has indefinite leave to remain, or that both parents are British)
      - If the parents are separated and one parent is living abroad, they must write a signed letter stating that they give up parental rights and custody, that they consent to the child becoming British, and that the child will live in the UK permanently. If both parents are in the UK, but one parent doesn't have indefinite leave to remain, the child will have to wait until the parent without indefinite gets it.
      - Marriage certificate if parents are married
      - Home Office fees (depending on the type of application)
      HI Marcus,

      Thanks. The birth certificate already has English as well as Indonesian language. I'm guessing it must be legalized and maybe even translated by an official translator also.

      The documents required by NCS are confusing. How could a child born outside of the UK already have "indefinite leave to remain" ? weird. My wife and I cant make a lot of those requirements. I'm guessing we will have to just make a British passport for him and then start the process for my wifes spousal visa.

      It's bloody horrible.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ross1 View Post
        (1) The birth certificate already has English as well as Indonesian language. I'm guessing it must be legalized and maybe even translated by an official translator also.

        (2) ... How could a child born outside of the UK already have "indefinite leave to remain" ? weird ...

        (1) If so I would not do any further translation . And considering the UK will issue the passport , I suppose the probability to need the Indonesian birth certificate "legalized" is small .

        (2) I know nothing about that (I am not an UK citizen) .

        Comment

        Working...
        X