Eating while Playing...-Good or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eating while Playing...-Good or Not?

I usually noticed that some parents or nannies chase their kids with a plate of food while playing. One example is the child will go on the slide and the nanny or mummy will put the spoon in the mouth with the big bit of chicken and off the child goes to play more.

I think this practice is dangerous because children can get choked. Imagine if they are chewing big bits of food while playing?... I think children should sit down and eat their food properly. Aren't we are taught not to play while eating? How can they learn good table manners?

I also noticed that most play areas or gaming areas inside the malls are situated beside the food court so the kids can play while munching their food. I just dont understand this kind of practice... Any parents who agree with this? If yes, what's your reason behind?

You re rite there Kverz...

Everytime my son has his meal, he sits still (buckle him of cos) enjoying every bit...because Im lazy to chase after him ....
    He will have his turn to play after meal.

Comment

My wife is a spoon-wielding chaser. I tolerate it for the most part, but wonder if it fosters a pattern of co-dependent behavior. When a child is old enough to handle a spoon, then they should be expected to feed themselves.

Comment

Well I don't ... <ie tolerate it>, although I agree with the rest of your post.

There are a number of "life skills" that I insist on my little rascal learning from a young age.

1) Eating
        2) Drinking
        3) Road safety
        4) Washing his own butt
        5) Washing his own butt

Comment

I think it's a matter of habit. Kiddie chair with straps is a novel concept in Indonesia, so parents (or more often baby sitters) learn to chase their children. I personally prefer the sit down approach.

Comment

A pet hate of mine, going for a pleasant meal just to have it spoilt by kids running round the tables being chased by a spoon wielding maid who looks totally exhausted and worn out just to shovel a mouthful of food into some noisy brat who is totally out of control, while their parents are quite disinterested.

Comment

Unfortunately, indifferent public arrogance often supplants empathic courtesy in dining venues. Parents of unruly children are second on my list, right below restaurant smokers, and above movie cell phone users and Kamikaze drivers.

It does not bode will for Indonesia's future when children are socialized thusly. Expect another generation with a sizable group of self-centered bores.

Comment

SInce the first solid foods my son had, he always sitting on the feeding chair...until he's big enough to sit on the dining table... I always say " Sit and eat, get up when you finish your meal".. I hate when I seeing nanny chasing children with the foods and worst things is they are chasing the kids on the road!! bad manner!.. Good job I never have nanny...
                Regards STT.
                PS: If typo, blame it on Apple and Samsung!

Comment

I think it is a 'kampungan' habit that is encouraged by parents who are a bit kampungan themselves or who allow the kampungan nature of the nannies to rub off on to the family. I don't see many educated families where the kids don't learn to eat properly with the elders. And spoon-feeding kids old enough to go to elementary school verges on child-abuse.

At the school where I work the youngest kindergarten kids eat their lunch together sitting at tables. They wash their hands before the meal and take their dirty plates to the kitchen afterwards. Nannies are banned from the canteen.

Comment

Perhaps you are correct, at least for the kids at your school, but on more that one occasion, at PIM and other upscale mall play areas, I see uniformed nannies almost climbing on the play equipment, spoon in hand, while the mothers tap away on Blackberries with their diamond encrusted fingers. Maybe "rich" is not contiguous with "educated."

Comment

Oh, indeed waarmstrong. I find that the conspicuously rich as you describe are the most kampungan of them all. We rarely notice the classy rich as they go about their lives.

Comment

Perhaps the orang kampung should be the ones protesting about the association with the rich generation once or twice removed.

Comment

If they are chasing their kids while playing it at least indicates that the kids are moving about and not in a pushchair or on the hip of the nanny. I get the impression that many kids are not allowed to get enough exercise in order to build their strength and confidence.
                          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                            many kids are not allowed to get enough exercise in order to build their strength and confidence.
                            Yeap! Stuck in the front of video games for hours and worse, the nanny is still feeding them while playing.

Comment

American kids must be fat for other reasons. No nannies chasing after my country's little butter-balls.

Comment

Working...
                              X