Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indonesian name for baby boy?

Hi everybody!

Our baby boy is about to get born and we still haven't found a name that we both like. We are looking for an Indonesian name.
    Any idea anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Any particular kind of Indonesian name? Wayan, Yohannes, Sugiyanto, Rizwan - these are all Indonesian names, and each one says something different to me about the likely heritage of the person.

Comment

Congratz!
      I like the name kiran, not sure where its from but it can be indonesian also
      Lost in Jakarta's trafic jam

Comment

Agastya, Anandita both are sanskrit

One of my friends named her sons : Bumi and Langit

I like Pradipta
        Dancing along the bumpy road of life. And it feels damn good!

Comment

Originally posted by mariloustique View Post
          Hi everybody!

Our baby boy is about to get born and we still haven't found a name that we both like. We are looking for an Indonesian name.
          Any idea anyone?

Thanks in advance!
          I'm partial to Rizal, pronounced "Ree-jahl." It's supposed to be a plural for man or masculinity or something like that in Acehnese.

There's also the "name the child after the birth month" route. Indonesians generally seem pretty open-minded as to what qualifies as a respectable name. For example, my wife wanted to name our daughter "Jazlyn." I pointed out to my wife that it felt like a stripper name. She didn't quite see it that way. Anyway, the point is that Indonesians are really fluid as to what qualifies as an Indonesian name.

Comment

Also, is it a firstborn child? If the family is Muslim, the tradition is to name him Muhammad. I dunno if *I'd* do that, but it's the reason why it's such a common first name.

Comment

"Indonesian" names is unlimited - mostly has some meaning or parent expectation (such as my name); others might just grab the names from an event or anything or a combination names from the parents and grandparents or other family members
              Particular area such as bali have specific criteria
              From as simple as bejo (lucky) to Gempur Suharto (attack suharto) or Galang Rambu Anarki (build the sign of anarchy)
              Agus, Budi, Amir, Doni, Johan, is another most common "Indonesian" names for boys

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                I pointed out to my wife that it felt like a stripper name. She didn't quite see it that way.
                Who won?

Comment

Another male name is Poerwanto. Some friends of ours suggested it as a name for a street cat we took in, saying it sounds like a Central Javanese villager (i.e., no royal connections - like the street cat). It's a great name for gentle teasing - we used to stroke the cat, saying "Ahhhhwwww.... POOR Wanto! POOR Wanto!"

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
                    Who won?
                    We both did. She was partial to the name Aquila (which I pointed out was a boy's name) and I wanted Sofia (which she also liked). So we named her Sofia Aquila. Incidentally, we may have started a trend. Four other babies have been born to our friends with variations on the name Sofia. I find this odd because Sofia is slightly uncomfortable for most Acehnese to pronounce. They usually say "Sopia."

For the next daughter, we'll name her Amina Ledee. I have no idea what I'd name a son.

Comment

Well we don't agree on much but I love your taste in names - all beautiful.

Comment

Any particular kind of Indonesian name? Wayan, Yohannes, Sugiyanto, Rizwan - these are all Indonesian names, and each one says something different to me about the likely heritage of the person.
                        My husband is of Malayou and Padang origin and is Muslim. We'd love a name that has a meaning, like Fajar, Fadill... (already taken in the close family!)

Comment

Well we don't agree on much but I love your taste in names - all beautiful.
                          Thanks! It's a challenge finding a name that resonates with multiple cultures. When your kids are part of multiple backgrounds you really have to take into account a lot of factors. We spent longer than average figuring out which names we thought would be best for our daughter. Some decisions about spelling had to be made on that basis as well, like using f instead of ph in Sofia.

Honestly, I think I was the harder person to please because I think Americans are much more particular about what they consider to be an acceptable name. For example, naming her Sofia was originally my idea and it was the most popular baby name in America for that year. Part of me chose that name because I wanted something that wouldn't single her out.

I think a lot of Indonesians have the reverse feeling. They want something that will distinguish their child, so there's much more fluidity in names.

Comment

My husband is of Malayou and Padang origin and is Muslim. We'd love a name that has a meaning, like Fajar, Fadill... (already taken in the close family!)
                            Since you're on an 'f' name kick I can give some examples: Feroz (Feras), 'Fikar (short for Zulfikar), Fakhrul, Firdaus.

There's also a strong trend on Sumatra to name kids "Rizky/Rizqi," coming from the Islamic concept of rizq (provision). The concept refers to the bounty granted to you by Allah (subhana wa ta'ala), that your children are provided for

Edit: now that I think about it, I also like the names Aulia (protector) and Taufiq(k) (success).
                            Last edited by DanInAceh; 10-09-14, 18:40.

Comment

Padang people are famous (or notorious, depending on your point of view) for being very creative with names. I got Padang friends with names like Ferdinand and Fernando, both Muslims with no ties to either Germany or Spain. If he and his family are that kind of Padang, a boy's name straight out of your culture would be acceptable to them. Try Jean-Claude.

Comment

Working...
                              X