Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving to Jakarta with family in June 2014... Ideas for Family Apartments please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
    Sorry, I left one word out of my post, "more". So we paid $250 per month in Jakarta and $300 in Bandung.
    That's more like it. But I am still a bit puzzled. More in Bandung...

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
      Sorry, I left one word out of my post, "more". So we paid $250 per month in Jakarta and $300 in Bandung.
      That makes "more" sense then. Three juta for a big house in Bandung still sounds pretty darn reasonable though.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Warden: "What we got here ... is failure to communicate."

The Dude: "Oh yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man."[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
        That's more like it. But I am still a bit puzzled. More in Bandung...

USD 50 "more" for about ... what was it, Jaime? 118 "more" square meters of living space, John.

Comment

Errr....still cheap!
          Lost in Jakarta's trafic jam

Comment

Originally posted by Donting101 View Post
            Suitable accommodation is reimbursed by the company, as part of the contract. It didn't cost me a thing to live there.

My place I considered quite modest. My boss lived in oakwood which is about 35,000,000 per month, and I know expats who pay a lot more than that (or should I say, their company pays)

Fine. What other individuals (and / or companies) pay for accommodations (or much of anything else) is really no bark off my dog. It still just boggles the mind a bit, that's all. I'd have no trouble believing it if you told me that some of them pay 50, 60, or 80 juta a month. It won't make it seem any less crazy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post

You gotta admit there are some mean looking rascals in Medan?
              No doubt at all about that ...

and

It has been my (late night) observation that Bataks are great at learning languages and singing.
              Or that ... we moved the last time because of exactly that factor. The 'pak living directly behind us decided to make a live band project in his back garden about two months after we moved into the last place ... they practiced there about three times a week in the evenings and it felt and sounded like they were playing inside our house. Funny thing was, other than the constant repetition of a few songs, they didn't sound half bad ... if they'd been playing ten blocks away, I might have wandered over to check them out.

(your .png's are not showing up for me, by the way)
              Last edited by Mister Bule; 07-06-14, 23:50.

Comment

That's understandable, but if it's no bark off your dog why the need to dig?

I don't know the % but a lot of expats in Jakarta are not planning on staying here past their contract, whatever field it is in, and are not concerned how much the company pays for the accommodation provided it is of an adequate standard (that they have bought into or come to expect) and in a optimal location.

In my case I was 10 minutes walk to work give or take, to me time is everything when having to put in 50 to 60+ hours a week, and be on call for emergencies. After a hard slog I want to come back to a tidy and clean apartment, everything functioning as it should, for it to be secure and away from all the noises and smells of Jakarta as possible, so I can be fresh for work mitigating as many outside stresses as possible. That way the company gets the eat performance out of me. It would be no use for them to spend all that time and money 'shipping' me and my colleagues from the UK all the way to Indonesia to do a job that needs doing, and then put us in squalid conditions. We'd have jacked it in within a week. I would not stuck around if they had put me in anywhere less than the puri, for the job I was doing. Would be better to stay back in the UK where I could have the ability to breath clean air!

We're here to work, save as much money as possible, while living as comfortably as reasonably possible to ensure we have the energy to put in the slog to get the job done.

Comment

Going back to OP's request and my post #14...

Debra, I now remember that my friend in Apt Exec Menteng told me they lived in two adjacent 2 BR apts that had been unified upon request to create 4 BR. I don't know if US Embassy asked the management to knock down the wall, or the apt management did it on their own previously. But it shows that some flexibility is possible if you still want an apartment instead of a house with yard and private pool.

Comment

That's understandable, but if it's no bark off your dog why the need to dig?

I don't know the % but a lot of expats in Jakarta are not planning on staying here past their contract, whatever field it is in, and are not concerned how much the company pays for the accommodation provided it is of an adequate standard (that they have bought into or come to expect) and in a optimal location.

In my case I was 10 minutes walk to work give or take, to me time is everything when having to put in 50 to 60+ hours a week, and be on call for emergencies. After a hard slog I want to come back to a tidy and clean apartment, everything functioning as it should, for it to be secure and away from all the noises and smells of Jakarta as possible, so I can be fresh for work mitigating as many outside stresses as possible. That way the company gets the eat performance out of me. It would be no use for them to spend all that time and money 'shipping' me and my colleagues from the UK all the way to Indonesia to do a job that needs doing, and then put us in squalid conditions. We'd have jacked it in within a week. I would not stuck around if they had put me in anywhere less than the puri, for the job I was doing. Would be better to stay back in the UK where I could have the ability to breath clean air!

We're here to work, save as much money as possible, while living as comfortably as reasonably possible to ensure we have the energy to put in the slog to get the job done.
                    I don't have any problem with any of that. I was just pointing out that my wife and I pay about 40% of what your company pays for one month of your housing, for a year of ours. That's not a "dig" particularly, just a comparison. Is it "apples to oranges"? Maybe. And we don't live in "squalid conditions" by any means, though that concept is certainly a matter of relative perspective. We might feel a bit more comfortable with some of the "noises and smells" you allude to (although one of the things we enjoy about our current location is the relative quiet and yes, even serenity, even though it is close to a busy street).

Someone, in a different thread, brought up the sort of line recently about people spending milllions or trillions of rupiah to bring a semi-famous footballer to a Jakarta business function, when children are starving and in orphanages, etc. I didn't, don't and am not "going there", because although I agree that there is a lack of perspective there from a moral point of view, I don't think it's my place to judge people for how they spend their money. (I won't mention the one Whom I believe to be in charge of making such judgments, in order to deflect criticism and avoid offending some peoples' sensibilities.) In terms of this mortal plane, as far as I'm concerned its anybody's business how they use the resources belonging to themselves, and in terms of what you describe, it probably makes sense, in terms of "best practices" for the company that's hired you, to put you up in surroundings in which you'll feel comfortable and which you will accept.

My wife just informed me that Raffi Ahmad will spend five miliar rupiah (five thousand juta) on his wedding. What can I say except "WoW*"

(*Watermelon on Wheat)

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
                      Going back to OP's request and my post #14...

Debra, I now remember that my friend in Apt Exec Menteng told me they lived in two adjacent 2 BR apts that had been unified upon request to create 4 BR. I don't know if US Embassy asked the management to knock down the wall, or the apt management did it on their own previously. But it shows that some flexibility is possible if you still want an apartment instead of a house with yard and private pool.
                      Maybe 1 owner own both units and teared it down to accommodate them. What about schooling? Is there any school near Apt Exec Menteng? So no review on Pakubuwono Townhouse (Not the apartment)?

Dharmawangsa is nice... but it goes from $7000/mo (300sqm+) and up...

Talking about apt, I live in a full furnish 300+ sqm apt, in CBD area, overlooking Huang Pu River. My compound isn't the very top one but can say second of the best.. and we are paying +/- $6000ish a mo. Jakarta housing is more expensive than Shanghai?
                      Last edited by Missnaughty; 08-06-14, 14:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
                        I don't have any problem with any of that. I was just pointing out that my wife and I pay about 40% of what your company pays for one month of your housing, for a year of ours. That's not a "dig" particularly, just a comparison. Is it "apples to oranges"? Maybe. And we don't live in "squalid conditions" by any means, though that concept is certainly a matter of relative perspective. We might feel a bit more comfortable with some of the "noises and smells" you allude to (although one of the things we enjoy about our current location is the relative quiet and yes, even serenity, even though it is close to a busy street).
                        And for just a comparison, the street sweeper in Jakarta is paying half of what you are paying or less! And he's still smiling

Well for the price you are paying wherever you are in Indonesia you certainly will be subject to squalid conditions in central Jakarta. For 500k per month you'll get a 1 bed crinkly tin roof shack by the road or riverside.
                        My sister in law pays 20 jt per year, which is say 3 or 4 times what you pay. 3 bedroom bungalow with open plan 'kitchen', squat toilet and bucket 'shower', no garden or windows, street outside can't fit a car, open sewers, rubbish everywhere, horrendous noise as expected in Jakarta from cats, dogs, kids, motorbikes, neighbours and mosques. I would say that most 'westerners' would consider it squalid. For me personally, knowing Indonesia, if the company gave me a position say 35hrs a week maximum, relaxing job with the option to keep the equivalent 18,000,000 per month to do as I please, that would have been spent on the puri.. Well then if I opted for the 20jt place the saving would be 196 juta (after the 20 juta payment for aforementioned place), I may consider that for say 2 years, As I could bank $35,000 which would be a tidy sum in addition to the savings I'd be putting away anyway over that 2 years. But It would have to be a pretty relaxing job for me to have to live there, so it all depends on the circumstances and weighing up the pros and cons

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Bule View Post
                          The fact that you've been paying 18 juta a month for an apartment in Indonesia helps me to understand why you feel such a big need for planning and back-up planning (not that I think either are necessarily a bad thing, and I admit to doing a bit of both myself from time to time).
                          I do not think that having health insurance, life insurance and secured assets in my home country is anything out of the ordinary for a responsible husband and parent.

Comment

Well for the price you are paying wherever you are in Indonesia you certainly will be subject to squalid conditions in central Jakarta. For 500k per month you'll get a 1 bed crinkly tin roof shack by the road or riverside.

Exactly right, I'm sure ... but I don't live in Central (or any other part of) Jakarta, alhamdullillah.

Comment

Working...
                            X