Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Baby Food at 6 months. Low/no added sugar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Baby Food at 6 months. Low/no added sugar?

Our baby has reached 6 months, and she's just starting to eat 'solid' food. We picked up some packaged cereal. Kind of a mush, or bubur, I'd guess. Just mix water or breastmilk in. I tasted some today, and noticed it was somewhat sweet. I looked at the Indonesian nutrition label, and it seemed to be 30% sugar.

I don't want the baby to get too much of a sweet tooth.

What have you used, or recommend that is easily prepared, and available here? Thanks for the help.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

My wife gives our son some Cerelac for breakfast. We buy the Beras Merah, the Kacang Hijau and the apple, banana and orange. I haven't checked the amount of sugar. For the rest, he gets some baby food for when we travel from Heinz and Gerber with the later being difficult to find. Heinz is a bit of hit and miss, so when we find the flavors he likes we stock up.

But the bulk of his intake comes from home made cooking for him by my wife. She designed a very specific menu for him, which is constantly evolving to introduce him to new flavors. But whatever she gives him to eat has been weighted and is a balanced diet for his size and age according to WHO guidelines.

Comment

There's no baby food here, so we were forced to do what our ancestors did: get a blender and puree it ourselves. Well, ok, they didn't have the convenience of a blender... but that is what we do. Sofia eats all manner of vegetables and fruit, I might add. Considering the variety of fruit you can find in these lands, I think it's an ideal way to know what goes into your baby's food.

We got an excellent book on preparing natural baby food here, uhm... Makanan Bayi Sehat Alami.

So far, Sofia has eaten the following fruits and veggies. I will rate them by a star system.

Potato ***
      Papaya ****
      Guava ***
      Peas + Carrots ***
      Slightly Sour Mango *
      Ripe Mango ***
      Banana ** (I know! I was shocked as well)
      Squash ***
      Green Beans ***
      Merliton **** (labusiam, chayote squash in most of America)

I think there's a few others I'm missing. Anyway, I was totally shocked at how well she eats. She's like "more" and we're like "ok!"

Comment

Agree with dan.. Well i don't have my own baby (yet) but my baby nephew eats blended fruits, he loves papaya, avoccado and banana.. All raw. He loves it, he dance when he loves the food.. So he must loves avoccado and banana.
        but for green pears (yellow is probably too sour for baby).. Steam the pears and serve it as puree. Sometimes he has baby biscuit for a snack.. Mmm this one i cannot remember the brand.. But the shape is like finger lady cookies
        Me likey

Comment

You can make up your own porridge from oats and banana mixed in it too.
          I dunno if thats on the WHO list but I know babes love it
          Scrambled eggs/ mashed up boiled eggs are great too but don't over=egg the baby, eggs are packed with cholesterol ..
          Rice is plentiful here...

Its great to encourage healthy eating but if the child is going to live long term in Indonesia it going to be hard for the poor lil soul to not like sugar... I know, I struggle to find things that are not packed with sugar should I eat out...or visit anyone. *wry smile*
          Just think of it as a way to be introducing what will be the regular diet into your child.

My point: Relax, go with the flow and don't over-think things.
          Its all well and good feeding a healthy diet but its far more important not to get too anal about it- a child needs love, nurture and nutrition... it sure doesn't need the diet police in the shape of a parent who has become fixated or obsessive about their dietary input.
          Cicak Magnet

Comment

Thanks for all the input so far. Not trying for some vegan, organic holistic diet or such, but I don't think too much sugar at this point is helpful. I was a sugar baby, and we see how that turned out. <burp>

Dan, how old is your baby? Have you tried Durian yet? I was joking with the doctor this week and telling her we were feeding her Cheetos, Klappertaart and the like. She said Klappertaart was ok.

Comment

Sofia is 7 months old now. I ... I don't like durian. Mommy loves durian. I don't believe that durian is recommended for babies, but I'm no expert in this.

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                Its all well and good feeding a healthy diet but its far more important not to get too anal about it- a child needs love, nurture and nutrition... it sure doesn't need the diet police in the shape of a parent who has become fixated or obsessive about their dietary input.
                Not sure what you are implying here. My wife is an overseas trained pediatrician so I'm pretty sure she knows what's good for our son. In fact, considering the effort she puts into making a balanced and healthy diet for him, I don't think he's lacking any love at all.

As for training a baby to the really poor diet here, I don't think that's a good idea. Way too much sugar and nasty oils are used here and people don't eat nearly enough nutrient dense food. Rice is all good and dandy because it's a cheap source of food but apart from carbs, it's quite poor nutrient wise. There is so much diabetes, heart diseases and overweight problems here and in the west because the past generation has been taking it too easy.

We pretty much feed similar things to what Dan feeds his little girl. Every morning, he gets his blend of fresh fruits and for lunch and dinner he will get some vegetables mixed with meat and some source of carbs (pasta or potatos). And throughout the day he gets some snacks, some fruit juice, some formula and some breast milk. He's a healthy 18 month gorgeous baby well on track with his motor and intellectual skills.

I know it's not easy and requires some time and planning but it's well worth the effort to cook your own meals for your baby.

Comment

I've found the nutrition info for Cerelac Kacang Hijau:

And for Cerelac Beras Merah:

Couldn't find the one for Apple, Orange and Banana and we've already chucked the boxes.

Comment

Thanks for the scans, EG. As I'm reading it, it's 14 grams of sugar in a 50 gram package, which would be 28% added sugar content.

I don't hear of many breastfeeding here after 12 months. I have a friend in the US who went until 4 years, but not the norm. What % of "food" is still breastmilk for your toddler? We're planning for 12 months at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                      Thanks for the scans, EG. As I'm reading it, it's 14 grams of sugar in a 50 gram package, which would be 28% added sugar content.

I don't hear of many breastfeeding here after 12 months. I have a friend in the US who went until 4 years, but not the norm. What % of "food" is still breastmilk for your toddler? We're planning for 12 months at the moment.
                      Well, you need to look at the daily amount of sugar your baby needs for his age and size.

He's not getting much breastmilk anymore. His mum pumps out a little bit every other day now just so that he can get her antibodies.

Comment

ah, ElG I was not implying anything. I was stating my opinion and I was not directing it at you, I am sorry if you got that impression. I was not at all being personal to you. Nor was I implying that YOUR child doesn't get love.

To clariify
                        I come across so many people who are /can be rigid about the nutritional imput into their child, that they sometimes forget to look at the bigger picture.
                        Yes it is important however it is important as part of the mix. All I was saying to my friend Jaime was, not to get too hung up about it. We are all human and sometimes we can be too harsh on ourselves.

@ jaime... you a sugar baby...??? hehehe nope , really?
                        I am so not a big fan of sugar and I am in no way a skinny thing... hubby eats breaths sleeps sugar & I have seen more fat on a butcher's pencil... hmmm, so maybe that line of reasoning is flawed.

I fear the diabetes, that is so prevalent here - so I commend those of you who try to ditch the sugar foods for the kids... but just remember this- sugar is present in fruit and vegetables; sugar is a natural food and comes from a vegetable... it is not some man-made poison.
                        Last edited by bad_azz; 09-05-13, 11:01.
                        Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by bad_azz View Post
                          but just remember this- sugar is present in fruit and vegetables; sugar is a natural food and comes from a vegetable... it is not some man-made poison.
                          No shit.

But there is a difference between eating some natural whole food such as fruits which are packed with vitamins, antioxidants as well as fibers and all the processed crap laced with high fructose corn syrup, cooked in rancid high PUFA and Omega-6 oils and full of simple, low nutrient carbs.

Naturally occurring sugar in reasonable quantities is fine but large quantities of HFCS is indeed a nasty poison to human. Too much of it and bam! Diabetes.

Comment

LOL.
                            Obviously!
                            Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                              Our baby has reached 6 months, and she's just starting to eat 'solid' food. We picked up some packaged cereal. Kind of a mush, or bubur, I'd guess. Just mix water or breastmilk in. I tasted some today, and noticed it was somewhat sweet. I looked at the Indonesian nutrition label, and it seemed to be 30% sugar.

I don't want the baby to get too much of a sweet tooth.

What have you used, or recommend that is easily prepared, and available here? Thanks for the help.
                              I boil up a peach, 2 plums, 3 apples and a large pear - sliced, a splash of water and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Then, blend it with hand-blender, and when cooled put into ice cube trays. Then, in mornings we take two cubes out, microwave, add some milk - formula - and some organic baby cereal. That is breakfast.

Lunch and dinner similar method - but with chicken, sweet potato etc etc. My little one - Asher - is nearly 8 months now, but was started on solids - the fruity mix - at 4 1/2 months.

We bought a good book from the UK but there are loads of recipes on-line and some decent books now in shops here.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X