Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Staff Salaries for 2012, Drivers, Maids (live in, live out), Nannies, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
    I endorse this post, but it's quite hard to keep the maids from doing everything. I insisted, repeatedly, that the maids not make my son's bed. So, I thought he was making it himself.

Turns out they were ignoring me and making his bed against my orders. So I actually yelled at them to STOP MAKING HIS BED.

It didn't work.

I have given up in Jakarta, but fortunately my son spends most of the summer in the US. While he is at summer school he has to do his own laundry. While he is with us at our home, we force him to make his own bed/help wash dishes/take trash to the recycling bin/etc. It isn't much, but it's something.
    Hey, doing a little bit of chores is better than not doing it at all. I can imagine it's gotta be pretty hard over there for parents to get the kids to do their chores since access to domestic help is quite easy and affordable. My parents own a restaurant over there in Indonesia, so they have lots of helpers, and some of them live with my parents as maids. My sister who still lives with my parents doesn't have to lift a finger to do anything (ugh!).

That's why when I move there in a few years, I am not planning to have a live in maid. Just come a couple of hours a day to help me do some dishes, clean the floor, dusting, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle O'Brien View Post
      Totally! Same here!
      Awesome, Michelle!

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post

Turns out they were ignoring me and making his bed against my orders. So I actually yelled at them to STOP MAKING HIS BED.
        I wonder what was their calculation? Kinda funny they were prepared to risk upsetting you instead of your son or perhaps they know that your bark is much worse than your bite
        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
          I wonder what was their calculation? Kinda funny they were prepared to risk upsetting you instead of your son or perhaps they know that your bark is much worse than your bite
          I think part of it is understanding - or can be, but I really think mostly it's just a genuine and overwhelming desire on the staff's behalf to (in their eyes) "do their job well". I too struggle with getting our maid to NOT set the table, to NOT clear the table, tonNOT pick up bags, rubbish dirty clothes etc...and am continually emphasizing that the children need to do it. It is hard. (Listen to me...first world problems I know!)
          Things happen for a reason...

Comment

Originally posted by gerrardtorres View Post
            That's very low in my opinion.
            Depending on location, that would be considered high, for an Indonesian or mixed couple. We had someone who wanted to work similar time for 400,000 last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Berlarutlarut View Post
              maybe, but she seems happy enough and we had two other people offering to do the job for less that we sadly had to turn down as there was no vacancy
              I meant in terms of the minimum wage...

Comment

Thank you to all participant of this worthy thread. Hope it could cut the time to argue about how much you have to pay the worker. Thank you to the employer who's willing to understand how hard to manage our minimum salary for paying house renting, education for our child, food, etc bla bla bla. As the bottom class economi, we have no choice to bargain coz we know there a lot out there willing to do anything to keep survive even for a very minimum pay .With all my respect, I would do the best I could if there's any generous employer who's willing to give me those average
                Last edited by namanyarita; 29-03-14, 03:53.

Comment

Working...
                X