Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current Staff Salaries for 2012, Drivers, Maids (live in, live out), Nannies, ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current Staff Salaries for 2012, Drivers, Maids (live in, live out), Nannies, ...

Hi I was looking at the other thread from 2011 - and noticed that it has morphed into Batman and the like. I am hoping to start a new thread that is focused on the same original ideas as the old thread as well as some other pointers for folks who are hiring.

Suffice to say, according to the other thread, I will be overpaying a bit for our driver (by this forum's standards); however according to the folks at my wife's office (both Indonesian and foreign), we've got a pretty good deal. 7 AM to 6 PM weekdays, 9 AM to 6 PM Saturdays. 2,000,000 for a driver with about 15 years experience, basic English - knows dates, times, places, and some silly jokes he's learned over the years. He receives no other pay other than overtime. Okay, so I should've checked here first for advice, huh?

So over the next few weeks we will be hiring other staff - looking for advice and input:

We will be interviewing nannies from a service recommended by my wife's organization. So far choices include:
    First time nannie with basic training and good English.
    Experienced nanny with little English, but can also cook/clean a bit.

I would also like to hire a live in cleaner/cook if we hire the first nanny.
    If we hire the second, I am thinking we could hire a cleaner to come in and do the house daily and laundry.

We will also need a gardener. How much do they get (I assume a daily rate)?

Other questions include:
    • What other annual bonuses do we pay (and when, my thinking that paying a small bonus before they go away and and a larger one when they return might make sense, but if no one else does this - why?). How about overtime per hour?
    • What day do live in staff usually have as a day off - or how does free time for them work?
    • How about food? My wife and I love pork (sausage, smoked chops, Japanese pork belly kakuni) - we wouldn't dream of asking Muslim staff to prepare these foods, and we certainly would not want them to to have no other food option for days when these would be prepared. (They would certainly be able to have some if they are willing to try). On a side note, would we have to prepare these pork foods away from them? And their food? We have two kitchens.
    • On the other thread the idea of arranging school for the staff members after a certain length of time was put out. How do I arrange this? How much would it cost?
    • Staff living area has three bedrooms each with their own doors, windows, and bed frames. There is also a washroom and toilet area. Finally there is a wet kitchen area with sink, gas burner, and shelves. What other items do we need to provide for staff? I have heard providing a TV for the evening is considered anywhere from over the top generous to standard. Do we provide mattresses, bedding, towels, or other room supplies (details please)?

Also feel free to add any other ideas. Thanks!
    QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Originally posted by MattyRedSox View Post
    How about food? My wife and I love pork (sausage, smoked chops, Japanese pork belly kakuni) - we wouldn't dream of asking Muslim staff to prepare these foods, and we certainly would not want them to to have no other food option for days when these would be prepared. (They would certainly be able to have some if they are willing to try).
    Sorry for just picking one out of many points you mentioned, but the notion that the staff should (or indeed would want to) eat the same food as you and your family seems unrealistic to me. They will certainly much prefer to get some food from the warung. More than once I have seen foreigners trying to be nice to their Indonesian staff, in-laws, etc. by sharing their expensive steaks, sashimi tuna etc. pp., only to find that the Indos didn't enjoy it at all. Then you get upset as they are wasting your money and frustration on both sides ensues. Often proves to be a waste of top produce and while you might think that you're doing them a favor, they would most likely much prefer to just have some Ayam Goreng or so from the warung.

Given that that will only cost you a fraction of what you'd pay if they had the same food as you, it's a win-win situation. Just plan 20-30k per day more for their food and up the salary accordingly, or make it clear that they will get payed this amount on top so they can go out and buy food for themselves, rather than being allowed or even forced to snack on your stuff.
    Last edited by Hiram; 29-11-12, 11:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram View Post
      Sorry for just picking one out of many points you mentioned, but the notion that the staff should (or indeed would want to) eat the same food as you and your family seems unrealistic to me. They will certainly much prefer to get some food from the warung. More than once I have seen foreigners trying to be nice to their Indonesian staff, in-laws, etc. by sharing their expensive steaks, sashimi tuna etc. pp., only to find that the Indos didn't enjoy it at all. Then you get upset as they are wasting your money and frustration on both sides ensues. Often proves to be a waste of top produce and while you might think that you're doing them a favor, they would most likely much prefer to just have some Ayam Goreng or so from the warung.

Given that that will only cost you a fraction of what you'd pay if they had the same food as you, it's a win-win situation. Just plan 20-30k per day more for their food and up the salary accordingly, or make it clear that they will get payed this amount on top so they can go out and buy food for themselves, rather than being allowed or even forced to snack on your stuff.
      Very good to know. We aren't paying meals for our driver, but he has a generous salary with that having been considered.

So for the live in staff, which would be better, a weekly allowance for food, or having the food staples available for them?
      QUOTE: "Anybody who throws a few pieces of chicken or whatever meat they have onto a gas grill deserves what they get..."

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram View Post
        Sorry for just picking one out of many points you mentioned, but the notion that the staff should (or indeed would want to) eat the same food as you and your family seems unrealistic to me. They will certainly much prefer to get some food from the warung. More than once I have seen foreigners trying to be nice to their Indonesian staff, in-laws, etc. by sharing their expensive steaks, sashimi tuna etc. pp., only to find that the Indos didn't enjoy it at all.
        I feel that this is a bit of a misrepresentation of information. This maybe your experience but my family has had a completely different experience with our nanny. We give her money to shop at the pasar and get the things she wants. However, I cook dinner for my family every night. We tell the nanny if she wants to eat what I have cooked feel free, but if she would rather cook something or get something from one of the carts passing by feel free. More often than not she goes for what I have cooked. So does my wife who is Indonesian. Of course we don't eat sashimi and expensive steaks every night. But what I cook is far from Indonesian. Some things our nanny likes and some she doesn't but in general she will eat what I cook. But I would like to point out that this is my experience and others maybe different. We found that the best way was to offer them the choice and not be presumptions either way.

To get back to the OP's questions, we have two staff. We have a live-in nanny and a part time maid. We give them both a one month bonus and ticket home during Ramadan and two weeks off work. As far as overtime, for our live-in nanny, we give her a little extra if she does things above and beyond her normal duties. For example help my wife prepare for a dinner party, etc. Usually our maid is there at the same time so we give her a little extra as well. I believe I answered the food question above. I cannot really comment on the schooling as both of our staff are well beyond the schooling age. We only have the one kitchen and so our nanny uses that to cook as well but if you have a separate kitchen for your staff it would not be a bad idea to get them some pots, pans, plates,etc. We do not have a problem with our nanny watching tv in the living room as long as her duties do not get neglected. In fact I think we will give her that tv because we want to get a new one for the living room. We provide a bed, sheets, towels, and toiletries as well. The maid has air-con in her room also but prefers to use the fan.

Hope this helps. But keep in mind this stuff is not written in stone and it is what you are comfortable with doing. These are the things we do and our nanny and maid seem happy and we have not had any troubles so far.
        Last edited by Bang Arif; 29-11-12, 14:38.

Comment

Suffice to say, according to the other thread, I will be overpaying a bit for our driver (by this forum's standards); however according to the folks at my wife's office (both Indonesian and foreign), we've got a pretty good deal. 7 AM to 6 PM weekdays, 9 AM to 6 PM Saturdays. 2,000,000 for a driver with about 15 years experience, basic English - knows dates, times, places, and some silly jokes he's learned over the years. He receives no other pay other than overtime. Okay, so I should've checked here first for advice, huh?
          I think that's a reasonably good deal. Some people might get away with paying less than that but if he has at least a bit of English and 15 years experience as you said, it's probably worth it. Just make sure he is honest when it comes to pumping petrol and parking fees.

So over the next few weeks we will be hiring other staff - looking for advice and input:

We will be interviewing nannies from a service recommended by my wife's organization. So far choices include:
          First time nannie with basic training and good English.
          Experienced nanny with little English, but can also cook/clean a bit.

I would also like to hire a live in cleaner/cook if we hire the first nanny.
          If we hire the second, I am thinking we could hire a cleaner to come in and do the house daily and laundry.
          This is a tough one. I would rather go for the experienced nanny simply because of the many horror stories I've read/heard. But the language barrier could also prove to be posing some problems and when it comes to your new born, you don't want any misunderstandings. Is there any other choice? Such as experienced and with good English? Have you looked at the Uppercrust mailing list? There are many expats who are finishing their assignment in Indonesia and try to help their good staff finding a new employer and I think that's where the best (and most expensive) house staff are.

Not sure how big your house is but know that in Indonesia, houses get dirty quickly with all the dust around. I would also recommend that you go for a live in maid as you don't want your nanny to get distracted with house chores.[/quote]

We will also need a gardener. How much do they get (I assume a daily rate)?
          I haven't got any experience with hiring a gardener. A brick layer gets around Rp50,000 a day. I suppose it depends on what the gardener does. If it's just some basic cleaning up dead leaves or more advanced landscaping. Other people with experience regarding gardeners will surely chime in.

Other questions include:
          • What other annual bonuses do we pay (and when, my thinking that paying a small bonus before they go away and and a larger one when they return might make sense, but if no one else does this - why?). How about overtime per hour?
          • What day do live in staff usually have as a day off - or how does free time for them work?
          • How about food? My wife and I love pork (sausage, smoked chops, Japanese pork belly kakuni) - we wouldn't dream of asking Muslim staff to prepare these foods, and we certainly would not want them to to have no other food option for days when these would be prepared. (They would certainly be able to have some if they are willing to try). On a side note, would we have to prepare these pork foods away from them? And their food? We have two kitchens.
          • On the other thread the idea of arranging school for the staff members after a certain length of time was put out. How do I arrange this? How much would it cost?
          • Staff living area has three bedrooms each with their own doors, windows, and bed frames. There is also a washroom and toilet area. Finally there is a wet kitchen area with sink, gas burner, and shelves. What other items do we need to provide for staff? I have heard providing a TV for the evening is considered anywhere from over the top generous to standard. Do we provide mattresses, bedding, towels, or other room supplies (details please)?

Also feel free to add any other ideas. Thanks!
          • Bonus: The bonus is usually worth 1 month of salary after Lebaran holiday (if staff is Muslim) or after Xmas holiday (if staff is Christian) and if the staff has been working less than a year, it should be pro rata of how long they've been working for you. After 1 year of service, it's usually 1 month salary. Giving more is, of course, at your discretion if you feel your staff performed exceptionally well. It is also a good idea to withhold the majority of the bonus until they've come back from their holiday unless they've expressed clearly that they won't come back, in which case there is no other choice than paying them in full and start looking for a replacement. It isn't unusual to give your staff some small gifts to bring back to their village, such as a box of cake or something like that.
          • Day off: Usually the day off is on Sunday. If live out, the staff just doesn't show up on that day. If live in, well I guess the day is free for them to do whatever they want. If they work on their day off, it's considered overtime.
          • Food: In regards to food, it's usually best to give your staff "eating money" so that they can buy whatever they want. That's what we do with our maid. Also when we cook stuff that we know she may like, we put some aside for her. And when we go out for lunch we take her along most of the time (about twice a week on average) but this is not a usual practice for most people. We also provide her with rice and cooking oil. If they have their own kitchen and own utensils (see below), then your "pork stained" dishes won't be contaminated. And as said in the other thread, as long as the pork issue has been made clear before hand, there shouldn't be a problem.
          • School: What kind of school are we talking about? English courses? High School? If it's for English courses, it is very easy as there seem to be almost as many English course schools as there are mosques around here. For the rest, I don't know. It's not very common but there are some expats that do get their staff in school. We offered it to our maid who barely finished primary school when she went off to work (we don't employ a child, she was already 19 when we employed her, but she started working at a very young age), and she is not interested at all about school and learning stuff.
          • Staff living area: About stuff to provide to your staff, I would definitely provide them with a TV. In the West, TV has become one of the most basic items that even debt collectors are not allowed to confiscate. Also provide mattress, bed sheets, towel, pillows. You can also provide a radio. We also get our maid soap, shampoo and pads. Don't forget kitchen items such as a sauce pan, a wok, some kitchen utensils such as knife, wooden spoon and some cutlery (fork and spoon is fine) along with bowl, plate and cup. They don't need more than one of each per person as this will usually be washed straight away. If there isn't any shelves or wardrobe in the staff bedrooms, it would probably be a good idea to get one to them. Oh and also, you should get them a water dispenser. A small fridge could also be useful or share a bit of space in your own fridge.

Just be prepared to get some high turn over and once you get a good staff, try to keep him/her by providing some good incentives. I am personally against paying a high wage straight away before the staff has been able to prove themselves worth it. We went through 2 drivers already (and decided to not bother anymore, too much drama) and it's already our second maid... and that was in less than a year. But our 2nd maid is really good so we try to reward her fairly and regularly.

And since it looks like you will be employing 2 to 3 people, you may also have to deal with staff politics...

Comment

Very good to know. We aren't paying meals for our driver, but he has a generous salary with that having been considered.

So for the live in staff, which would be better, a weekly allowance for food, or having the food staples available for them?
            For your driver, you could offer him a coffee or a tea once a day (at home, prepared by your maid). About the food allowance being already included in the salary, make sure that this is made clear from the get go.

For the live in staff, we use a mix of both as said previously and we pay the food allowance once a month. The stuff that you can be sure they will always eat are rice and cooking oil, so it would be a good idea to provide that to them. Then they only need to buy whatever extra they want like tofu, tempe, fish, whatever.

But be careful not to provide too much at once either, or at least you should monitor it. Our neighbor's maid is in charge of doing the groceries and cooking for that expat she lives with and she's been buying extra of everything so that she could sell meals to the constructions workers in the area. And her boss is none the wiser... Another one was packing the mineral water in small bags that she would then hide in the freezer and then sell the clean ice to the warungs (traditional cafe) in the kampung (village area) next door. Our own driver would fill up 3L worth of our mineral water every day.

Comment

Just a tip, we changed our setup: for the driver we have a fixed monthly salary and a daily amount (payed in the evening). This facilitates the administration, esp. with overtime, and both parties benefit if he is not needed on some days and he gets his cash.

He always gets lunch (at home) btw, and that is highly appreciated. Something to consider as well; with most being Muslim they need some time and place for daily prayers. All malls offer a praying room that so that's not a big issue but at home you might foresee something too.

And we have a hanging bag behind the car chair stuffed with the small water (Aqua) cups. The ones you get in the store while you wait.

Needless to say he's also responsible for cleaning the car while at home.

Can't comprehend someone would need a full-time gardener unless you also need a house boy or security. Also, be a bit careful with mixing genders.
              Last edited by jstar; 29-11-12, 18:16. Reason: afterthought
              [FONT=arial black]
              [/FONT]

Comment

Hi MattyRedSox,

As we arrived in August we also had the same kind of questions as you have and a lot of them were answered in this thread:
                http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...t=staff+expect

We are a couple of months along the road now and this is how it works in our family:

We used the template contract we got via colliers for the salary negotiations ... came in handy as we do not speak Indonesian and the couple we hired speaks only little English so with both the English and Indonesian part we al knew that we were agreeing on the same things.

NAME: ________________________________
                POSITION: _____________________________
                EMPLOYED BY: ________________________
                ADDRESS: _____________________________
                1. BASIC MONTHLY SALARY
                Three (3) months probation salary
                Rp. ………………...after which there will be a
                re-assessment and if approved salary will
                increase to Rp………….…..
                FOOD ALLOWANCE
                Rp. ………..per month.
                MEDICAL ALLOWANCE
                Equivalent of one (1) month basic salary for
                medical expenses and the balance of money
                not spent will be given as a cash payment at
                the end of each twelve (12) month period.
                LEBARAN BONUS
                An additional one (1) month’s basic salary at
                Idul Fitri, payable prior to the end of
                Ramadhan (fasting month).
                SEVERANCE BONUS
                Will receive a severance bonus equivalent to
                one month’s basic salary for every year of
                employment when the employer leaves
                Jakarta.
                2. DAY(S) OFF
                Will get ….. day(s) off every week, any day
                according to mutual agreement.
                ANNUAL LEAVE
                Will receive …….. days annual leave, to be
                taken at a time that is mutually agreed.

1. PENGHASILAN BULANAN

Penghasilan bulanan Rp……………….……
                untuk masa percobaan tiga (3) bulan pertama
                dan setelah 3 bulan akan ditinjau ulang jika
                disetujui akan dinaikkan menjadi Rp………...
                UANG MAKAN
                Rp. ………..per bulan.
                UANG KESEHATAN
                Sama dengan satu (1) bulan penghasilan
                normal, untuk biaya kesehatan yang dipakai
                dan sisa yang tidak terpakai akan diberikan
                dalam bentuk tunai pada akhir tahun.
                BONUS LEBARAN
                Mendapat tambahan satu (1) bulan
                penghasilan normal pada hari raya Idul Fitri,
                dibayarkan sebelum akhir bulan Ramadhan.
                BONUS PESANGON
                penghasilan normal dikalikan dengan berapa
                tahun mereka telah bekerja jika keluarga
                tersebut meninggalkan Jakarta.
                2. HARI LIBUR
                Mendapat …. hari libur setiap minggu
                bedasarkan perjanjian yang disetujui
                bersama.
                CUTI TAHUNAN
                Mendapat …. hari cuti yang akan diambil
                pada waktu yang telah disetujui bersama.

Agreed and accepted by/Disetujui dan diterima oleh:
                Employer/Majikan Employee/Staff
                Maid - Live In Contract

We hired a couple, man and wife as our gardner and maid. They live in. As we like to have some private family time in the weekends they do not have to work on Saturdays and Sundays and usually they go to visit family from Friday evening and return on Sunday evening or Monday morning. They know that we might ask them to stay during the weekend if we need help during dinner parties but this counts as overtime and that comes on top of the monthly salary.

The maid has a monthly salary of 1.500.000 Rp, (3 months probation salary of 1.400.000), food allowance 150.000 Rp, medical allowance, lebaran bonus and severance bonus as marked in the contract.
                The gardner works 2 days a week for us and the other 3 days he works at other places. Monthly salary of 600.000 Rp (3 months probation salary of 550.000), food allowance 50.000 Rp, medical allowance, lebaran bonus and severance bonus as marked in the contract.

The driver is appointed by my husbands company and they provide also the car so here I can not give you much advise about.

They do not want to eat our 'western' kind of food so I'm buying them rice, cooking oil, sugar, coffee and tea and the rest of the food they buy them selfs. I bought them a fridge, a water dispenser, rice cooker, 2 ventilators, an induction cooktop, some pots, pans, utensils, towels, bed, mattress, linen, pillow, storage boxes, a wardrobe and also a TV.

If you are not yet on The Uppercrust mailing list I would suggest you do that, a lot of expats leaving are recommending their staff in these classified ads. Do receive the e-mails just send a mail to [email protected] that you wanted to be added to their mailing list.

That's all that comes up in my mind right now, let me know if you have more questions and if other things pop up in my mind I will post them also.

All the best,
                Miss
                Last edited by Misssverige; 30-11-12, 15:31. Reason: type errors
                [COLOR=#b22222][FONT=century gothic]​[/FONT]He who ask a question may look stupid for 5 minutes
                but he who doesn't ask will be stupid for the rest of his life.
                [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Misssverige View Post
                  Hi MattyRedSox,

As we arrived in August we also had the same kind of questions as you have and a lot of them were answered in this thread:
                  http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...t=staff+expect

We are a couple of months along the road now and this is how it works in our family:

We used the template contract we got via colliers for the salary negotiations ... came in handy as we do not speak Indonesian and the couple we hired speaks only little English so with both the English and Indonesian part we al knew that we were agreeing on the same things.

NAME: ________________________________
                  POSITION: _____________________________
                  EMPLOYED BY: ________________________
                  ADDRESS: _____________________________
                  1. BASIC MONTHLY SALARY
                  Three (3) months probation salary
                  Rp. ………………...after which there will be a
                  re-assessment and if approved salary will
                  increase to Rp………….…..
                  FOOD ALLOWANCE
                  Rp. ………..per month.
                  MEDICAL ALLOWANCE
                  Equivalent of one (1) month basic salary for
                  medical expenses and the balance of money
                  not spent will be given as a cash payment at
                  the end of each twelve (12) month period.
                  LEBARAN BONUS
                  An additional one (1) month’s basic salary at
                  Idul Fitri, payable prior to the end of
                  Ramadhan (fasting month).
                  SEVERANCE BONUS
                  Will receive a severance bonus equivalent to
                  one month’s basic salary for every year of
                  employment when the employer leaves
                  Jakarta.
                  2. DAY(S) OFF
                  Will get ….. day(s) off every week, any day
                  according to mutual agreement.
                  ANNUAL LEAVE
                  Will receive …….. days annual leave, to be
                  taken at a time that is mutually agreed.

1. PENGHASILAN BULANAN

Penghasilan bulanan Rp……………….……
                  untuk masa percobaan tiga (3) bulan pertama
                  dan setelah 3 bulan akan ditinjau ulang jika
                  disetujui akan dinaikkan menjadi Rp………...
                  UANG MAKAN
                  Rp. ………..per bulan.
                  UANG KESEHATAN
                  Sama dengan satu (1) bulan penghasilan
                  normal, untuk biaya kesehatan yang dipakai
                  dan sisa yang tidak terpakai akan diberikan
                  dalam bentuk tunai pada akhir tahun.
                  BONUS LEBARAN
                  penghasilan normal pada hari raya Idul Fitri,
                  dibayarkan sebelum akhir bulan Ramadhan.
                  BONUS PESANGON
                  penghasilan normal dikalikan dengan berapa
                  tahun mereka telah bekerja jika keluarga
                  tersebut meninggalkan Jakarta.
                  2. HARI LIBUR
                  Mendapat …. hari libur setiap minggu
                  bedasarkan perjanjian yang disetujui
                  bersama.
                  CUTI TAHUNAN
                  Mendapat …. hari cuti yang akan diambil
                  pada waktu yang telah disetujui bersama.

Agreed and accepted by/Disetujui dan diterima oleh:
                  Employer/Majikan Employee/Staff
                  Maid - Live In Contract

We hired a couple, man and wife as our gardner and maid. They live in. As we like to have some private family time in the weekends they do not have to work on Saturdays and Sundays and usually they go to visit family from Friday evening and return on Sunday evening or Monday morning. They know that we might ask them to stay during the weekend if we need help during dinner parties but this counts as overtime and that comes on top of the monthly salary.

The maid has a monthly salary of 1.500.000 Rp, (3 months probation salary of 1.400.000), food allowance 150.000 Rp, medical allowance, lebaran bonus and severance bonus as marked in the contract.
                  The gardner works 2 days a week for us and the other 3 days he works at other places. Monthly salary of 600.000 Rp (3 months probation salary of 550.000), food allowance 50.000 Rp, medical allowance, lebaran bonus and severance bonus as marked in the contract.

The driver is appointed by my husbands company and they provide also the car so here I can not give you much advise about.

They do not want to eat our 'western' kind of food so I'm buying them rice, cooking oil, sugar, coffee and tea and the rest of the food they buy them selfs. I bought them a fridge, a water dispenser, rice cooker, 2 ventilators, an induction cooktop, some pots, pans, utensils, towels, bed, mattress, linen, pillow, storage boxes, a wardrobe and also a TV.

If you are not yet on The Uppercrust mailing list I would suggest you do that, a lot of expats leaving are recommending their staff in these classified ads. Do receive the e-mails just send a mail to [email protected] that you wanted to be added to their mailing list.

That's all that comes up in my mind right now, let me know if you have more questions and if other things pop up in my mind I will post them also.

All the best,
                  Miss
                  This is super helpful! Thank you for this.

Comment

I'd be interested to get some insight into maid/driver salaries for 2013.

At the moment I pay:
                    Driver - 5 days a week (8am-8pm) - 2.2mil/month + overtime (outside those hours) of 20.000/hr. Overtime paid in cash ON THE DAY.
                    Maid - 3 days a week - 600.000/month for 2 bed apartment.

I renegotiated with the driver this year (I've had him for 2.5 years now) as he was miscalculating overtime and it was getting crazy. He was ok with new salary and I still tip him if I use him late night/weekend or long drives.

My maid was originally 500.000/month and asked for increase this year. I am about to move and the prices I am being quoted are much higher.

Later this year I will have a baby and will will have a live in maid. We are expecting to pay 2million/month + food allowance. Is this reasonable.
                    All staff get 1 months bonus (xmas for christian and ramadan for muslim).

Can other expats share there advice on what they offer?
                    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Not everyone who chased the llama caught it, but he who caught it, chased it. [/FONT]

Comment

Hey,

As this is now 2013, nearing 2014, I though I'd update our situation.

Luckily, and happily, we still have the same nanny/maid that I had stated earlier about way, way, way before the 2011 thread.

Her salary has gone up to:

* 2.2 juta per month
                      * medical is still one month's salary.
                      * hours are from 06:30 to 16:00
                      * overtime is, I think, 15,000 per hour
                      * No weekends
                      * Live out
                      * THR - one month's salary

she has had from us over the last year:

* a nearly brand new coffee table - my daughter tripped and cracked her chin open on the edge, so it went..
                      * a reasonably old but still functioning and clean sofa bed
                      * a 1 year old double bed mattress
                      * various second-hand bags, clothes etc when the missus has done her spring cleaning

All is well, the house is spotless, the kids well fed and happy, and it is nice to come home in the evening. I think she has taken 1 day off all year sick, and on another occasion brought her young son to work a couple times.

All in all, very happy.

Comment

Does she speak English? What are her responsibilities?

Comment

Originally posted by El_Goretto View Post
                          Does she speak English? What are her responsibilities?
                          Yes, a little. She also has a certificate in First aid & nannying...

Basically, everything. Cleans the house and looks after a 1 year old.

Comment

We pay our maid and gardner (husband and wife) 2,000,000 each per month.

We initially paid for lots of things like food and bits and pieces, but it all just got too hard, and we felt like we were in effect dictating to them how they lived...so one day we just said, right - you look after yourselves with food etc, we increased their wages to cover for that and now they totally do their own thing (and they still never seem to have any money! But, that is their business!).

We still pay for all the gas, water, electricity and we provided beds, linen, TV, cupboards, chairs, table, cooker, electrical and kitchen appliances etc and do not charge them rent of course. They do not work after 12 on Saturday or Sundays and they (plus their 2 young children) live in. We help out occasionally with school fees/ uniforms etc and have effectively bought them a motorbike (via "a big Lebaran bonus". And they deserved it - they are both awesome and reliable and honest and work very hard and diligently.) They get cash in the hand, no tax numbers etc, so not too bad a deal according to most people I have spoken to.

Our driver is through the company, but we tip him generously as with a family of ours (5) he works hard.
                            Things happen for a reason...

Comment

That is a very good deal and it's for sure their problem if they have no money left.
                              [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X