No announcement yet.

Questions about living expenses for family of four in Jakarta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if Bogor would be a good choice? It's definitely doable; I have had friends who lived in Jakarta and commuted every day to work in Bogor, and also had friends who lived in Bogor and commuted daily to Jakarta. There is an international school there; I've heard it is fine for younger kids like yours.

The air is cleaner, it is slightly cooler, and you feel much closer to nature in Bogor. But I've never lived there myself, so I can't tell you if there are drawbacks I'm unaware of.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
      Just for the record, in case future readers browse this thread and make assumptions about tuition costs at Jakarta's top international schools, the current (2012) annual tuition/fees for a JIS middle school student are in the vicinity of USD 28,000/year. So, the weekly out-of-pocket cost of sending 3 children to JIS would be $84,000/year, or over $1,600 per week.
      Wow...it's very pricey! That sum is slightly higher than annual income of a PhD scholarship recipient in Australia (no tax).

Comment

Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
        Wow...it's very pricey!
        I know quite a few people with kids at JIS or BIS and they are all covered by the company. Not realistic for most people otherwise especially for families with more than one child.
        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
          I know quite a few people with kids at JIS or BIS and they are all covered by the company. Not realistic for most people otherwise especially for families with more than one child.
          What happens to those who aren't covered by the company? If they have three kids, then they must earn at least 160K per annum.

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post

Yeah that's true! With my friend's case, the company pays 85 percent of the tuition of her 3 kids but she said that the 15 percent from their own pockets is the same price she will pay for the most expensive school in the Philippines, Ateneo de Manila.
            Last edited by kverz; 15-04-12, 00:42.

Comment

Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
              What happens to those who aren't covered by the company? If they have three kids, then they must earn at least 160K per annum.
              I think many expats move here on the basis that the company will pay for the kids schooling at the likes of JIS or BIS. Otherwise they will go elsewhere.
              "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Injun View Post
                I know, international school tuition is comparable to that of many US state universities.

I can't help but to comment because I don't usually see the term "get by" and the number 100K in the same sentence.
                Yeah, I nearly chocked on my rendang when I thought of 'get by' and 100K together Injun. However, I did not realise how much it was for International Schooling so my apologies to OP. I am wondering though, for that sort of money whether home tutouring is an option. I am very dubious and concerned about the ability of schools to provide quality education just because you throw a big heap of money at them.
                The problem with Indonesia is, it's there and I'm here.

Comment

Dear Chris1234:

I have been working in Jakarta for almost two years now. To answer your questions, my company does pay for most of the things you mentioned.

1. Housing: - Depending on where you work, traffic could be horrific here in Jakarta. If you need to stay close to the airport, which I do due to a lot of traveling, I actually move to an area called Pantai Indah Kapuk, not a bad place to live in with new restaurants popping up every month and a golf course nearby if you play the sport.
                  2. Staff: Depending on the work you need them to do, but they cost anywhere from Rp. 600K to 800K for a domestic help, but they don't speak English at all. Might cost more for those that do, but picking up the language is probably best anyway.
                  3. Pre-School/School at international school for 4 and 6 year old: There are quite a few private international schools nearby that cost around anywhere from US$600 / month and up for your kids's age group. There is always Montessori's available in quite a few locations in Jakarta.
                  4. Car/driver..is driver recommended? Definitely recommended, at least for the weekdays. Cost around Rp. 350,000 per week and up(they called it cost of meals), with a monthly salary of Rp. 1,000,000. Total around Rp.2,500,000 (US$300)
                  5. Where to liveā€¦.are there good spots with less smog in Jarkarta? Need to be able to get to airport: I am not sure if you are going to get a place with less pollution in Jakarta.
                  6. Food: Depending what you like, could be cheap or could cost a leg and arm if you like fine dining. But if you are buying from foreign supermarkets and cooking at home, then groceries could be a bit more expensive than in the US.
                  7. Health Insurance with evacuation: Company usually provide.
                  8. Other expenses? Depends on your lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamVW View Post
                    I am very dubious and concerned about the ability of schools to provide quality education just because you throw a big heap of money at them.
                    I'm no expert on Jakarta schools, but it's generally accepted that both JIS and BIS deliver a very good quality education.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

[COLOR=#333333] Originally Posted by Puspawarna [/COLOR]
                      [COLOR=#333333]Just for the record, in case future readers browse this thread and make assumptions about tuition costs at Jakarta's top international schools, the current (2012) annual tuition/fees for a JIS middle school student are in the vicinity of USD 28,000/year. So, the weekly out-of-pocket cost of sending 3 children to JIS would be $84,000/year, or over $1,600 per week.

OMG I have just had to pick myself up off the floor...................................!!!!! Thank god my kids have left school!!!!
                      [/COLOR]
                      Sit long, talk much, laugh often.....

Comment

Originally posted by Annette View Post
                        [COLOR=#333333] [/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]

OMG I have just had to pick myself up off the floor...................................!!!!! Thank god my kids have left school!!!!
                        [/COLOR]
                        Can you see "The Bold And The Beautiful" from the floor?:P

Ray
                        When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me

Comment

Originally posted by deviray50 View Post
                          Can you see "The Bold And The Beautiful" from the floor?:P

Ray
                          Yep I have made myself comfortable on the floor pillows blankets.... just waiting for bold to come on pmsl
                          Sit long, talk much, laugh often.....

Comment

Working...
                          X