Installing a carseat in a Toyota Kijang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing a carseat in a Toyota Kijang

Hello all I am hoping someone has solved this problem before! We have a Toyota Kijang that I am trying to instal a forward facing Safe'N'sound forward facing car seat into. The seat instructions say it should be secured to the carseat anchor and suggests looking at the car's manual to find out where the anchor is. Of course, I cannot find it and the manual is not much help! Do you need to have a anchor installed here? If so, any suggestions on where and how. Thanks in advance

Probably need to have one installed as car seats are not particularly common among the indigenous population. I suggest you go to the dealer and ask. It’s possible an accessory is available.

Comment

Almost certainly has no anchor point provided. There's none in the Terios. Our Safe'n'Sound uses the lapsash and another restraint that is intended to be secured to an anchor point either on the back window tray or the floor behind the seat. I've resorted to securing the latter to the headrest - hardly ideal - I must get around to having a hole drilled in the floor and an anchor point installed - mungkin nanti, mungkin besok, mungkin.....

Comment

https://www.babyonabudget.com.au:444...chor-bolt.html
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

I wonder if Baby On A Budget's on-line store delivers internationally. If this Australian company does not ship to Indonesia, you may be able to get one of the many road side metal working shops to make one using the picture as a guide.

Comment

Thanks all! At least I won't go mad looking for it anymore... Think I'll have the anchor delivered to family in Australia and sent here. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Good plan; we do that all the time for this and that -- from the USA, though.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                you may be able to get one of the many road side metal working shops to make one using the picture as a guide.
                Amelieh , I wouldnt be too quick to write off this idea , I think its the best idea yet .

I do this all the time (ie; get things made up from the tukang las ) , its another part of the beauty of living in Indonesia , is that you can get things custom made very cheaply , and exactly to your requirements ..., You will even find with a little planning of the design , you will get them even better made and stronger than the ones you intend to buy , even out of stainless steel and polished up nicely ..., and for probably less than half the cost of the would be postage alone ( and thats just from the warehouse in oz , to your australian relatives home) if you went with your other plan .

Comment

Agree Davobali - if all that's required is the anchor point for the top strap then it should be a doddle for local fabricator and if they charged me more than 50,000Rp here is smalltownsville I'd be amazed.

Comment

also , Id suggest using your existing seatbelt bolts
                    ( ie ; dont drill new holes in anything ,as those existing boltholes are also reforced behind that sheetmetal )

its better you use what youve already got .

You can easily design your baby seat bracket with a large enough baseplate that fits directly under the existing seatbelt brackets (ie; making sure of course , that it hangs lower or out of the way , and doesnt interfear with the original seatbelt ) , and uses the same anchor bolt already on the car .
                    Last edited by davobali; 15-01-12, 17:40.

Comment

Thanks guys, will have a good look at the car and see if I can find an existing thing to anchor to. Sounds sensible to work with what is there. If there is nothing there, will have an anchor sent through and out in. It will probably cost more than getting it made here but as a nervous new mum, the extra will be worth the peace of mind as I don't know which workshops are good here. Will come back and post how I go in case anyone has this problem in the future. Appreciate all the help! Of course, not sure the traffic will ever go fast enough that the seat is needed......

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up, Amelieh. Please do let us know how you eventually solve the problem -- then it will be there for the next guy.

Comment

Working...
                        X