Maid and Driver's Salary for 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
    Why is it wrong? Is it a wrong doing to do that? I separarte our bathroom as well.. Is it also wrong? Does your maid use your bath sometimes?
    I can't afford to have a cleaner let alone buying extra utensils and building an extension for my maids to live and eat.

Comment

• Mine is paid by my partner's company.

If not, then I have to pay them with local rate... Rp.600,000 per month. Just like you, i too can't afford to pay a cleaner with western rate.

Comment

• Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
        Why not? Maybe Alia is not Indonesian. There should be a national investigation across Indonesia, if they find that families let their maids eat as often as they wish, and share cutleries with them, then their citizenship status should be repealed. You can head the National Committee for the Protection of Eastern Values who oversees this cultural crusade against Western imperialism.
        You are being supercilious, and it is hurting your argument. The fact that there are some people who prefer the prevailing local social and cultural norms with regard to the relationship between "majikan" and "pembantu" does not mean that those people are "wrong". They have their preferences, and you have yours. There is no need to for you to demean their opinions just because you disagree with them.
        This space is available for rent.

Comment

• By the way, I think most family-sized (2 or 3 bedroom) apartments in Jakarta have "kamar pembantu" and "kamar mandi pembantu", do they not? Also, in my limited experience, I have never seen a house in Jakarta which did not have maid's quarters.
          This space is available for rent.

Comment

• Originally posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
            You are being supercilious, and it is hurting your argument. The fact that there are some people who prefer the prevailing local social and cultural norms with regard to the relationship between "majikan" and "pembantu" does not mean that those people are "wrong". They have their preferences, and you have yours. There is no need to for you to demean their opinions just because you disagree with them.
            I am not saying that it's wrong or not. But preserving something as demeaning as treating people from the lower class differently because of cultural identity is just appalling. Culture is dynamic, and Indonesia surely won't lost its identity just because they treat their maids equally. Yes I don't agree with her but defending her opinion by resorting to 'fixed identity of that's the way we are' theory is just strange. If this kind of reasoning is acceptable, then similar argument can be applied to the rampant corruption in Indonesia; "yes, we bribe and extort people but that's just the way we are".
            Last edited by ponyexpress; 12-10-12, 19:55. Reason: typo

Comment

• Corruption is a wrong doing, it's cheating and stealing. You said what I do is wrong... #115
              Last edited by Missnaughty; 12-10-12, 19:34.

Comment

Corruption is a wrong doing, it's cheating and stealing. You said what I do is wrong... #115
                I did, didn't I? But I spoke as self-oriental and a true lover of authenticity, who likes to preserve a cultural value of differentiating people based on their class status. As a matter of utterance, yes I did say that it was wrong. But essentially, I said more than just about being wrong or right.

Comment

• I thought Alia was 100% Indonesian. Guess I was wrong.

Comment

• Yeah, I thought so Hombre. But apparently according to Missnaughty, a western influence must have ruined my mindset to have treated my maids the way I’ve been treating them.

Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
                    Alia have her own rule at her house.. But it does not guarantee that her maid is happier than mine.
                    Its funny you say this, but I wont argue whose maids are happier than others because to do so is just ridiculously childish.

What I want to stress here is the point that you blamed Western influence for the equal treatments some maids or in this regards my maids, have been receiving in our family as per my post #111. No culture be it Eastern or Western is better or superior than others. They have their own characteristics but blaming it on the Western for the ‘negativity’ they are showing ~in your eyes~, is just simply nuts. It shows your own incapability in managing them as your staffs.

But anyway, as long as everybody is happy..
                    Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

• [COLOR=#333333][FONT=arial]I normally cook a big batch in the weekend and eat left-overs for lunch from Monday to Friday! [/FONT][/COLOR]
                      Oh please don't invite Pony Express's maids for Friday lunch, they don't eat left over.

[FONT=arial]I believe its okay if you didn't know it was pork. I stand by this rule all the time *wink* and yes a glass of wine a day keeps the doctors away.[/FONT]
                      Same here.... I always say I am a Muslim by birth, but I now I look and learn others religion. Someone told me that we must believe to the one that suits us and can help us to be a happy and better person. So far I haven't found one. But, I still I don't eat pork tho.. I don't miss it.

Comment

Oh please don't invite Pony Express's maids for Friday lunch, they don't eat left over.
                        Don't worry missy, I'll let you and your cabal friends gobble up all the leftovers. If eating leftovers will make you feel better about treating human beings equally, then go ahead.

Comment

Don't worry missy, I'll let you and your cabal friends gobble up all the leftovers. If eating leftovers will make you feel better about treating human beings equally, then go ahead.
                          I wouldn't like it if come home from work, and my dinner is half rotisserie chicken left by my maid, because she was hungry and eat the other half first. Maybe doesn't matter for you, not for me.

Comment

I wouldn't like it if come home from work, and my dinner is half rotisserie chicken left by my maid, because she was hungry and eat the other half first. Maybe doesn't matter for you, not for me.
                            So will you be happy when you've got home from work to see your maid laying on the ground with her sore tummy because she's not allowed to eat what's on the table? Oh that's too extreme. I'll make a slight change to the original. Will your serf be happy to see her lord perpetuating the feudalist view of the world, and practicing archaic beliefs at the expense of her right to be treated equally? You never know, revolution could start with a roast chicken.

Comment

So will you be happy when you've got home from work to see your maid laying on the ground with her sore tummy because she's not allowed to eat what's on the table? Oh that's too extreme. I'll make a slight change to the original. Will your serf be happy to see her lord perpetuating the feudalist view of the world, and practicing archaic beliefs at the expense of her right to be treated equally? You never know, revolution could start with a roast chicken.

Admittedly, I haven't read the thread, but I don't see any issue with the initial statement. I absolutely agree that anyone who works for you should be treated with respect and kindness. But the fact is they are an employee. My understanding is that live-in maids are typically provided room and board. Meals included or at least allowance for food. Preparing the employer's meal is part of the job. An employer who wishes not to include the employee in a family style meal does not mean the employee is neglected or forced to go hungry.
                              My personal stance is that anyone who lives in my house is welcome at my table. Frankly, I'd be disappointed if someone who cooks a meal isn't 'subjected' to experiencing their work first hand. But the expectation that the employee simply prepares the meal for the employer then prepares their own meal is neither abusive nor neglectful. 'serf' vs. 'lord' is a little extreme when characterizing someone who is in a fair wage employed status.
                              Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town!

Comment

I assume I employ an adult and pay salary. She/he needs to look after herself when hungry. She/he cooks the meal for family 3 times a day, than she/he should be eating 3 times a day too...

What equally that you are saying here? sitting together in veranda having vodka orange together? I wear tank top, and she wears tank top and hot pants with red dyed hair around the house?

Btw, did Princess Di butler having his dinner at the same table as her? Hey, I ain't no Princess but I should be treated equally ...
                                Last edited by Missnaughty; 26-10-12, 21:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X