Maid and Driver's Salary for 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jim69 View Post
    I fully agree with your salary scale above.
    We pay about the same, but we do not buy separate food, the girls eat what we eat, we even took them to Hanamasa last night, as they had been working very hard (we moved house last weekend).
    A simple girl, 17-18 with no education, no English, getting about 800 a month is happy, we also put some pulsar on their phone. As I have said before if they stay for over 3 years, I will put them through "package C" to give them the equivalent of high school certificate. They get the bonus at Lebarran and the promise of school should be enough to bring them back.
    Originally posted by jim69 View Post
    As you are a self confessed maid yourself, I find your description of the other girls in the same profession as "chicks" is very insulting.
    You agree with Kedua's comment, but you have no idea what your talking about.
    I stand by my decision that after 3 years I will give them an education. I have not heard anybody here offering any education at all. I want them to be able to study well and not have to mix work and study. I will get other maids when these two go into education.
    As for pay increase, you yet again have no idea what you are talking about. The firs girl came to work for us in March at 450k now we are paying her 1 juta. She lives in and gets whatever she needs, food, clothes etc.

How many people buy a Samsung handphone for their maids birthday?
    So before you start throwing judgmental comments, get your facts right.
    Nice to see that you have increased her salary since the start of this thread.
    "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• The increase has nothing to do with this thread, it is because of more responsibility. I increased it, as the second girl was homesick and left this week. The first girl does not want us to find another as she did not like the quality of the other girls work. She spent so much time going around the house cleaning all the bits that had been missed.
      [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by jim69 View Post
        The increase has nothing to do with this thread, it is because of more responsibility. I increased it, as the second girl was homesick and left this week. The first girl does not want us to find another as she did not like the quality of the other girls work. She spent so much time going around the house cleaning all the bits that had been missed.
        In this morning's posts you were referring to 'them' so I assumed you were still employing more than one.

I assumed from your posts that they were both very happy as they had told you so. I guess things aren't always what they seem and there is a reluctance on behalf of staff to say anything other than they think the employer might like to hear.
        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• I think the problem came not from being happy or not, but being home sick as she had never been away from her parents before, and her friend who was the first girl telling her she was not doing a good enough job. Not from us, as we have never told her she was not good enough.

They really are not treated like staff. I try to never refer to them that way or to call them maids.

They could have what they wanted to eat within reason, there was always plenty of food and money on the table to buy anything they wanted from the street vendors, whether it be veg to cook themselves or ready food. If we cooked food they always shared what we had, eating at the same table.
          Last edited by jim69; 12-10-12, 14:04.
          [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

• I really don't know how to start this post. When it comes to maids and drivers.. there is always a missing points between the westerners and the easterners..

I am sure Jim is a good employer. But, you dont have to eat in the same table. And please don't start it. It is akward in our culture and our manner. Who are, what we are, and how we act because we are brought up with our values and traditions.

If say, a maid eating a left over.. Don't look at it as if the employer is mean and on the upper level status. It is the way we are.. The maid cook for the whole household. Including her/them. The Family eat first and she/they eat after.

Almost most Indonesian treats their maids really well.. No they dont have to eat in the same table, they have their own cutleries, they eat after the family and yes for the full time they work from they wake up till time to bed. And they are happy.

We do notice for maids that have been working with foreigner change in attitudes in negative way in our eyes. I am ready with any negative arguments after this my very post, but sometimes I do understand why some elderly (sesepuh) fellow blamed the western influenced.

Comment

• My maids never wait for us to eat first then its their turn. No. They eat anytime they are hungry and its perfectly fine by us, and no, they dont eat our left over either, they dont have their own cutlery, they use what we use. And I dont have any western influenced in my family. So where that comes from ?
              Words can inspire, thoughts can provoke, but only action can get you closer to your dreams.

Comment

• Again, pinning local shortcomings and faults on the West.

Comment

• Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
                  I really don't know how to start this post. When it comes to maids and drivers.. there is always a missing points between the westerners and the easterners..

I am sure Jim is a good employer. But, you dont have to eat in the same table. And please don't start it. It is akward in our culture and our manner. Who are, what we are, and how we act because we are brought up with our values and traditions.

If say, a maid eating a left over.. Don't look at it as if the employer is mean and on the upper level status. It is the way we are.. The maid cook for the whole household. Including her/them. The Family eat first and she/they eat after.

Almost most Indonesian treats their maids really well.. No they dont have to eat in the same table, they have their own cutleries, they eat after the family and yes for the full time they work from they wake up till time to bed. And they are happy.

We do notice for maids that have been working with foreigner change in attitudes in negative way in our eyes. I am ready with any negative arguments after this my very post, but sometimes I do understand why some elderly (sesepuh) fellow blamed the western influenced.
                  Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
                  Again, pinning local shortcomings and faults on the West.
                  Actually, I would say that MissNaughty makes a valid point. There is a degree chauvinism in the way some westerners attempt to impose western egalitarian ideals onto local domestic staff. And yes, it does promote strife in future employment situations in which the domestic worker goes to work for an Indonesian family instead of an expat one. Specifically, I have seen the situation in which an expat family moved back to America and recommended their pembantu to a well-off local family. The local family had no complaints about the inflated salary expectations, but eventually fired the pembantu due to her bad attitude and the sense of entitlement which she displayed. As they told me, "We don't mind paying extra, but we can't handle her gede rasa."
                  This space is available for rent.

Comment

• Enough talk here now, I am out

Comment

I really don't know how to start this post. When it comes to maids and drivers.. there is always a missing points between the westerners and the easterners..

I really like it when people start to self-oriental themselves. Oh...yes Mister we know that it's wrong to have a separated dining room and eating utensils for our maids but that's just the way we are. It's part of eastern value Mister. You know what Mister, equality is a western concept and applying it to our culture will put the entrenched stratification of social class in a total disarray. Yes, we differentiate people and in some cases, we slaughter them due to their differences. That's the way we are.

Comment

• Originally posted by ponyexpress View Post
                        Yes, we differentiate people and in some cases, we slaughter them due to their differences. That's the way we are.
                        Indeed. A unique Indonesian trait.
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by Alia View Post
                          My maids never wait for us to eat first then its their turn. No. They eat anytime they are hungry and its perfectly fine by us, and no, they dont eat our left over either, they dont have their own cutlery, they use what we use. And I dont have any western influenced in my family. So where that comes from ?
                          Comes from my parents, grandparents, my big extended famikies, childhood neighbour families, childhood friend families. The schedule : they cook breakfast for everyone, we eat go to school then they eat. Then they cook for lunch, we come home from school, we eat and they eat. Same as dinner. So their eating hours are the same with us.. No different. They can't eat before, no food, They haven't cooked yet, have they? They have their own cutleries.. The same that my parents have their own plates, cup and cutleries and the children use separate. I don't Know about your family Alia.. Do you also eat together as well as a big family at home? Me no.

And all my parents maids were happy. Do you know why we know? ... Because they still communicate with us.. They are too old to work now and my parent's maid currently has been with them for more than
                          5 years.

I didn't pay mega bucks to my maids, they were with us the whole time we were in Jakarta and everytime we are back they always stay with us.. One of them.. Take days off from their work. I fired
                          one of them.. My bad.. And hired her back... She worked for a single korean man, only cleaning, got more days off.. With the same amount of money she prefered to work for me.

I respect them and always appreciate what they do and yet I still put what is suppose to be what I know
                          is manner and value between employer and household staffs that I have learnt in my family. They have respect toward me and they were happy working for me.

I applied this to my maid in the philippines as well.. Every year she never forgets our birthday.. And lots of things she does assure me that she was very happy.

Actually, this discussion happen a lot in Manila and now Shanghai. Never lived in other cities where maids is part of life. The arguments between the foreigner and the locals. I was just want to point here.. That
                          it does not need miles to show that you are a good employer. And when you see how locals treat their maids, don't judge that they aren't good.
                          Last edited by Missnaughty; 12-10-12, 19:21. Reason: Missunderstood Alia's remark. No change-- too long answer

Comment

Comes from my parents, grandparents, my big extended famikies, childhood neighbour families, childhood friend families. The schedule : they cook breakfast for everyone, we eat go to school then they eat. Then they cook for lunch, we come home from school, we eat and they eat. Same as dinner. So their eating hours are the same with us.. No different. They can't eat before, no food, They haven't cooked yet, have they? They have their own cutleries.. The same that my parents have their own plates, cup and cutleries and the children use separate. I don't Know about your family Alia.. Do you also eat together as well as a big family at home? Me no.
                            Why not? Maybe Alia is not Indonesian. There should be a national investigation across Indonesia, if they find that families let their maids eat as often as they wish, and share cutleries with them, then their citizenship status should be repealed. You can head the National Committee for the Protection of Eastern Values who oversees this cultural crusade against Western imperialism.

Comment

I really like it when people start to self-oriental themselves. Oh...yes Mister we know that it's wrong to have a separated dining room and eating utensils for our maids but that's just the way we are. It's part of eastern value Mister. You know what Mister, equality is a western concept and applying it to our culture will put the entrenched stratification of social class in a total disarray. Yes, we differentiate people and in some cases, we slaughter them due to their differences. That's the way we are.
                              Why is it wrong? Is it a wrong doing to do that? I separarte our bathroom as well.. Is it also wrong? Does your maid use your bath sometimes?

Comment

Why not? Maybe Alia is not Indonesian. There should be a national investigation across Indonesia, if they find that families let their maids eat as often as they wish, and share cutleries with them, then their citizenship status should be repealed. You can head the National Committee for the Protection of Eastern Values who oversees this cultural crusade against Western imperialism.
                                Anyone can do whatever they feel comfortable with. I just want to point out that if locals do what they do, does not mean they are being mean to the maid. Alia have her own rule at her house.. But it does not guarantee that her maid is happier than mine.

Oh .. And for the left over.. Don't we all have a left over that we eat the next day? If a maid cook 6 chick wings.. A 4 member family each gets one.. Throw away the left over, Let the maid cook a new food for her because it's mean to give her left over? ...
                                Last edited by Missnaughty; 12-10-12, 18:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X