Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maid and Driver's Salary for 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
    Not withstanding the salary issue, the implication that Indonesians are dirty, lazy, and incompetent is way beyond the pale.
    I honestly didn't get that wa. I assumed it was like most other countries. When you have an industry (domestic service) that generally allows unskilled entry for workers, you are more likely to attract the lower end (from an education and experience standpoint) of the society's work force. I think the statement withstands the global test and is not specific to Indonesians.
    Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town!

    Comment


    • #92
      Originally posted by kedua
      [COLOR=#333333]For expats wanting to pay less than Rp1mil you get someone with little experience, who scratches her unwashed head and doesn't wash her hands before making you a sandwich, wipes the spills on the floor with the dish cloth, bleaches holes in your laundry and wants a loan every other month.[/COLOR]
      Speaking as a poster, I have to agree that while kedua's remarks may not have been intended to sound racist, the bolded part is suggestive of some attitudes and assumptions I do not share or condone. A young girl who has never worked before (much less for expats, who may have a few different procedures than the locals), has limited education, and is from an impoverished background may well need training to understand principles of hygiene and why they are important, and she'll certainly need help distinguishing among cleaning products and how to use them properly. She may also view her employers as wealthy beyond imagining. But that doesn't make her inherently dirty, stupid, ignorant, or greedy. While I doubt that kedua meant to imply that poor Indonesians automatically have these nasty traits, the post could certainly be read that way.

      Comment


      • #93
        By the way, just to be clear, by saying that expats may have different procedures than the locals, I don't mean "to a higher standard", I just mean "different." Whether you like your rice cooked dry or moist, whether you are more likely to put tissues or paper napkins on the table, whether you prefer a broom or a vacuum cleaner - that sort of thing.

        Comment


        • #94
          Originally posted by Kedua View Post
          jim69: I missed how do you give your maids an education when they are working for you?
          As you are openly criticize others, perhaps you would like to explain to all how much you pay your maid(s) and what education you are giving them.
          Last edited by jim69; 09-10-12, 09:49.
          [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

          Comment


          • #95
            I guess that's a no then.
            [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

            Comment


            • #96
              Jim69,I respect that you have good intention to help your maid with her education,but if I may give an idea,the education not have to be the formal one,you know like send them to gain more knowledge in some courses, some kind Cooking,health service,tailoring,beauty salon,language (if they have an interest on these thing) .It will be really useful also for their future,perhaps faster get the benefit and pride rather than the formal education

              Comment


              • #97
                from what i 've read here, I can conclude that maids which can be employed very2 cheaply are those who are underaged chicks around 14-17, as someone has testified here,,,, a-14-year-old chick with pay of a-400k-ish,,, and vErY haPPy with that,,,,,, congrats for the happiness!!!! fortunately I m old enaugh than 14 yo so I m not in a cheap exploitation,,,,,

                (smileys: to reduce 99% deleted possibility)

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by lantern View Post
                  Almost as insulting as a pathetic salary.
                  reaLLy pathetiC,,,,,,,,,,,
                  Last edited by mer2012; 11-10-12, 20:02. Reason: adding smileys

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Originally posted by Kedua View Post
                    I absolutely agree you get what you pay for. For expats wanting to pay less than Rp1mil you get someone with little experience, who scratches her unwashed head and doesn't wash her hands before making you a sandwich, wipes the spills on the floor with the dish cloth, bleaches holes in your laundry and wants a loan every other month.
                    agree.........

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Howie View Post
                      I honestly didn't get that wa. I assumed it was like most other countries. When you have an industry (domestic service) that generally allows unskilled entry for workers, you are more likely to attract the lower end (from an education and experience standpoint) of the society's work force. I think the statement withstands the global test and is not specific to Indonesians.
                      That's certainly true. Unskilled workers cannot command a premium salary. That truism was not the crux of my objection to the characterization. That characterization would be that unskilled = dirty, lazy, i.e. unwilling to learn and lacking in basic competence i.e. untrainable.

                      Beyond the inappropriate reference to a young employee as a "chick," I find it puzzling that another poster would deride a young unskilled girl for starting at the bottom work-wise. The reality here is that an education is difficult to come-by in many small villages and even in some urban settings. There are more than a few domestic workers among expat households now making a living and supporting a family who probably started in their clueless teens where someone was willing to provide OJT.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
                        That's certainly true. Unskilled workers cannot command a premium salary. That truism was not the crux of my objection to the characterization. That characterization would be that unskilled = dirty, lazy, i.e. unwilling to learn and lacking in basic competence i.e. untrainable.

                        Beyond the inappropriate reference to a young employee as a "chick," I find it puzzling that another poster would deride a young unskilled girl for starting at the bottom work-wise. The reality here is that an education is difficult to come-by in many small villages and even in some urban settings. There are more than a few domestic workers among expat households now making a living and supporting a family who probably started in their clueless teens where someone was willing to provide OJT.
                        Agreed. I was skimming the thread and didn't catch all of the nuance. Young and/or inexperienced certainly does not equate to dirty or lazy. And noone willing to work or at least try to work to support themselves deserves anything less than respect for their efforts.
                        Just because you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town!

                        Comment


                        • Yes, respect is the word I was fishing for. Treat your employees as is they are deserving of it from the get go and they likely will be.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Kedua View Post
                            No insulting is someone having to work for you for 3 years before you consider offering to pay for an education? Shouldn't they be getting that now. How old are your maids that they need an education?
                            youuu got it! how long you think it took from a starting wage of 450k to nearly 800k? a-17-yo gal. maybe 4 years? so the chick started working @ around 14 or

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mer2012 View Post
                              youuu got it! how long you think it took from a starting wage of 450k to nearly 800k? a-17-yo gal. maybe 4 years? so the chick started working @ around 14 or
                              As you are a self confessed maid yourself, I find your description of the other girls in the same profession as "chicks" is very insulting.
                              You agree with Kedua's comment, but you have no idea what your talking about.
                              I stand by my decision that after 3 years I will give them an education. I have not heard anybody here offering any education at all. I want them to be able to study well and not have to mix work and study. I will get other maids when these two go into education.
                              As for pay increase, you yet again have no idea what you are talking about. The firs girl came to work for us in March at 450k now we are paying her 1 juta. She lives in and gets whatever she needs, food, clothes etc.

                              How many people buy a Samsung handphone for their maids birthday?
                              So before you start throwing judgmental comments, get your facts right.
                              [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Bumblebee View Post
                                Jim69,I respect that you have good intention to help your maid with her education,but if I may give an idea,the education not have to be the formal one,you know like send them to gain more knowledge in some courses, some kind Cooking,health service,tailoring,beauty salon,language (if they have an interest on these thing) .It will be really useful also for their future,perhaps faster get the benefit and pride rather than the formal education
                                Education is a broad term. I want them to have a future, if they want to go to Hairdressing college, its good, or any of the courses you suggest, I am just not sure of the education level required to enter these course.
                                My wife spends time every day teaching a little English.
                                [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X