No announcement yet.

Maid and Driver's Salary for 2011

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We talked with the local Pak RT the other day, and in Bandung, the standard live out maids salary is 400k per month in our neighborhood. Normal 6 day work week.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
      This is why things need to be kept in perspective. If you are paying your maid close to 2 million, a girl with little education, how can you justify the salary of a fresh graduate secretary of about 2.5 million.
      If the government are not careful they will actually harm the uneducated population, by making them too expensive to employ.
      Jim, I'm sure that you are doing the right thing by your staff, but these arguments really are bumpf and nonsense used by people happy to exploit cheap labour.

Just because graduate wages are weak does not justify keeping house staff salaries low.

Nor will all their jobs suddenly disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
        Jim, I'm sure that you are doing the right thing by your staff, but these arguments really are bumpf and nonsense used by people happy to exploit cheap labour.

Just because graduate wages are weak does not justify keeping house staff salaries low.

Nor will all their jobs suddenly disappear.
        You might be surprised how price-sensitive the market for PRTs is among local middle-class workers. My coworkers pay an average of around 800.000 / month for live-in, and I have heard several of them say that if the price were to double, they would simply switch from being two-income families to just single-income families. The expat population is a very very small fraction of the total number of people employing PRTs. If the DPR passes a maid regulation, I could envision a growing market for inexpensive locally manufactured electric dishwashing machines.
        This space is available for rent.

Comment

Originally posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
          If the DPR passes a maid regulation, I could envision a growing market for inexpensive locally manufactured electric dishwashing machines.
          Perhaps the laid off maids can get a job in the dishwasher factory for better wages as they would be considered workers. In Europe the labor movements fought long and hard for decent work conditions and wages and I would guess that they met the same arguments presented here.
          "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
            Perhaps the laid off maids can get a job in the dishwasher factory for better wages as they would be considered workers. In Europe the labor movements fought long and hard for decent work conditions and wages and I would guess that they met the same arguments presented here.
            In Europe there is a decent education system, and people with a good education should be able to earn more. Here it is different. Hence the reason I want to give education to our two maids.
            That way they can enter the workers market.
            [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

jim69: I missed how do you give your maids an education when they are working for you?

Comment

Interesting thread.

We've just let a maid go. She was local hire, very lazy, didn't use any cleaning products, slept outside, waited by the washing machine for an hour for it to be done etc etc. We were paying 800,000 a month - live-out, mon-fri, 7-4, with overtime - her payment request.

Now, we decided we needed a nanny more than a maid. So, after a long search and many interviews, we have a great nanny to help with our 2-year old and new-born. However, the 'nanny' also does all the work the other maid did, and more, to a better standard and quicker. We pay the new nanny/maid 2,000,000 a month.

I think, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I was a bit reticent about paying so much, because my salary is not huge, but, it's the best thing we've done!

Hope this helps.

Comment

You get what you pay for

Originally posted by gerrardtorres View Post
                  Interesting thread.

...... I think, as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. I was a bit reticent about paying so much, because my salary is not huge, but, it's the best thing we've done!

Hope this helps.
                  I absolutely agree you get what you pay for. For expats wanting to pay less than Rp1mil you get someone with little experience, who scratches her unwashed head and doesn't wash her hands before making you a sandwich, wipes the spills on the floor with the dish cloth, bleaches holes in your laundry and wants a loan every other month. I also believe you set a tone by paying your child's nanny more than perhaps a maid. It infers caring for our children is paramount.

Comment

Originally posted by Kedua View Post
                    jim69: I missed how do you give your maids an education when they are working for you?
                    I said if they work for us for three years, then I will pay for their education.
                    My wife also spends time every day with them trying to teach them a little English.
                    [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

I absolutely agree you get what you pay for. For expats wanting to pay less than Rp1mil you get someone with little experience, who scratches her unwashed head and doesn't wash her hands before making you a sandwich, wipes the spills on the floor with the dish cloth, bleaches holes in your laundry and wants a loan every other month. I also believe you set a tone by paying your child's nanny more than perhaps a maid. It infers caring for our children is paramount.
                      I totally disagree with your post. How insulting to many local Indonesian maids. Dont judge others by your own standards.

The two girls we have are very clean, wash all the time, wash there hands before preparing food. They never ask for money.

I actually make my own sandwiches so have not experienced this problem.
                      Last edited by jim69; 05-10-12, 10:15.

Comment

How insulting to many local Indonesian maids.
                        Almost as insulting as a pathetic salary.
                        "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                        George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I totally disagree with your post. How insulting to many local Indonesian maids. Dont judge others by your own standards.
                          The two girls we have are very clean, wash all the time, wash there hands before preparing food. They never ask for money.
                          I actually make my own sandwiches so have not experienced this problem.
                          No insulting is someone having to work for you for 3 years before you consider offering to pay for an education? Shouldn't they be getting that now. How old are your maids that they need an education?

Comment

To reiterate - a previous post on this thread - A mid-range salary for maids in Jakarta, working for expats is base Rp.1.5-1.7 PLUS allowances food, travel, mobile which can bring them up to Rp.2mil+ Treated decently, given decent start/end times, given time appropriate for lunch and holidays, have their medical bills paid if they're in need of medical care.... I have encountered quite a few expats wanting to and actually paying their maid(s) below Rp.1mill and they complain about the calibre of staff they have in their employ. If they want someone smart and savvy then they should consider paying more. If they pay less it's a roulette wheel of quality. So Jim69 calm down.
                            Last edited by Kedua; 05-10-12, 13:56. Reason: spell check - obsessed

Comment

I have no complaints about the caliber of my staff. They are 17 and 18 years old, and one left school at 12 and the other at 14.
                              The reason I will pay for the education after 3 years, is because then my daughter will not need as much of their time and i can give give them more time for studying.
                              As for everything else, they both live in, have whatever food they want too, get all the toiletries they require. One of them had a call that her mother had been bitten by a snake, so we immediately gave her money and sent her back to the family to look after her mother.
                              I am sure the other one has hearing problems, as she speaks very loud and does not always here what we say, so I am arranging for a hearing test for her. If she need any treatment or hearing aid we will arrange it.
                              One of them was offered work in a Doctors for more money, we told her we could not match that, she thought about it and decided she enjoyed working with us more.
                              They are not treated as maids, and we dont call them maids. If we go out anywhere, they are always welcome to come along.
                              I have said enough now, they are happy and we are happy, so all good.
                              Last edited by jim69; 06-10-12, 08:17.

Comment

Not withstanding the salary issue, the implication that Indonesians are dirty, lazy, and incompetent is way beyond the pale.

Comment

Working...
                                X