• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abokz View Post
    so far i know is.
    a live in maid first 3 month are Rp.500.000,-
    then next 3 month are Rp.600.000,-
    then if the maid stay on it will be Rp.800.000,- per month.

and we buy them a separate vegetables and meat for them.

as for Driver i pay them daily, per day around Rp.50.000 if he work from 6am to 6pm
    if work overtime i add another Rp.50.000.

none of them speak english, maybe a simple english like, go, stop, mall name, airports, home, and so on.
    poor maid and driver who work for you.. I feel sorry for them.

Comment

so far i know is.

as for Driver i pay them daily, per day around Rp.50.000 if he work from 6am to 6pm
      if work overtime i add another Rp.50.000.

none of them speak english, maybe a simple english like, go, stop, mall name, airports, home, and so on.
      That is extremely low and only an Indonesian couple or where one partner is Indonesian could get away with paying that. Or you live in the boondocks somewhere and not in Jakarta.

Comment

Originally posted by Kedua View Post
        That is extremely low and only an Indonesian couple or where one partner is Indonesian could get away with paying that. Or you live in the boondocks somewhere and not in Jakarta.
        I understand that "abokz" has complained to the moderator regarding my recent comments on this thread. I wasn't stereotyping abokz, it's unfortunate you have taken offence. It's a reality that Indonesian domestic staff have the expectation that expats will pay them more - especially in Jakarta. Expats would not find "experienced" staff willing to work for them at the salary levels you have mentioned you pay - and as most expats look for domestic staff who have prior experience working for expats...

Comment

Originally posted by Kedua View Post
          I understand that "abokz" has complained to the moderator regarding my recent comments on this thread.
          No report of Kedua's post has been received by the moderators.

Comment

Originally posted by john madden View Post
            No report of Kedua's post has been received by the moderators.
            This was sent through to my email:

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]Dear Kedua,[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]mer2012 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Maid and Driver's Salary for 2011 - in the Family Life in Indonesia forum of Living In Indonesia Expat Forum.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]This thread is located at:[/FONT][/COLOR]
            http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...6&goto=newpost

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]Here is the message that has just been posted:[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]***************[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]---Quote (Originally by Kedua)---[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]That is extremely low and only an Indonesian couple or where one partner is Indonesian could get away with paying that.[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]---End Quote---[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]Now what you gonna do with this mod(s)? people are stereOtyped really!![/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]***************[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]All the best,[/FONT][/COLOR]
            [COLOR=#000000][FONT=monospace]Living In Indonesia Expat Forum[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

@ Kedua,

Yes, mer2012 wrote this post and another one. We (3 moderators) decided to delete the first one with mention:

"[COLOR=#333333]gratuitous insult, doesn't help thread at all"

and the second (the one you quote) with the mention:

"[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]more clutter, not helpful to OP or conversation".

The second post was not a report, per se. It was just a mini modding attempt by a user, something we frown about. If the user disliked your post, she should have reported it. However, a report does not necessarily means that a moderation action is taken. We discuss reports among mods, then when a consensus emerges, we take action. In the case of your posts, if they would have been reported, the consensus would have been toward no action being required.

Please, feel free to continue to discuss the thread in a good spirit. [/COLOR]

Comment

Kedua - this is not a "report" from another user complaining of your post. I believe that it is an automated alert to you that another user has posted in a thread to which you have "subscribed". have a look at "Settings>Default Thread Subscription Mode..." and maybe also "Settings>Subscriptions...".

Comment

It's no use to bash 'abokz', what (s)he says is realistic. Don't think locals, even in Jakarta, pay more for a 17 year old live in maid. And for a maid there is no such thing as a six day work week unless they're working for ex-pats (or in Singapore). And yes, the drivers get money mainly out of working overtime.

No surprise it's always a gamble whether they will come back after Lebaran. (That's also one of the major reasons why their Lebaran bonus is so high; motivation.)
                  [FONT=arial black]
                  [/FONT]

Comment

There's definitely a difference between the price that locals pay and expats. For someone working 3-4 hours a day in Sumatra, I'd guess a local would pay 250k a month.

I have family members who work full time in a business, 6 days a week, for 300k plus another 150-200 for meals/transport, per month.
                    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

so far i know is.

I fully agree with your salary scale above.
                      We pay about the same, but we do not buy separate food, the girls eat what we eat, we even took them to Hanamasa last night, as they had been working very hard (we moved house last weekend).
                      A simple girl, 17-18 with no education, no English, getting about 800 a month is happy, we also put some pulsar on their phone. As I have said before if they stay for over 3 years, I will put them through "package C" to give them the equivalent of high school certificate. They get the bonus at Lebarran and the promise of school should be enough to bring them back.
                      [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
                        I fully agree with your salary scale above.
                        We pay about the same, but we do not buy separate food, the girls eat what we eat, we even took them to Hanamasa last night, as they had been working very hard (we moved house last weekend).
                        A simple girl, 17-18 with no education, no English, getting about 800 a month is happy, we also put some pulsar on their phone. As I have said before if they stay for over 3 years, I will put them through "package C" to give them the equivalent of high school certificate. They get the bonus at Lebarran and the promise of school should be enough to bring them back.
                        @Jim69 thanks the one that i meant...they must eat what we eat ..not separate food ..also put some pulsa for them.that what we local (Indonesian) treat our maid. we must thankful with their help. we will more respect them when we realize we without their help...

Comment

Its also about making them part of the family, I see some expats here refer to "their servants".

We, as others here know, never call our maid a maid, she is actually our Pixi.

As an examlpe of hoe you shoud treat your maid.

Saturday morning the our Pixi was crying, her mother had been bitten by a snake and was very sick. So we gave her salary to her early, gave her extra for the bus, and took her to the bus station, so she could get home as soon as possible.
                          Her mother has now had treatment, and is better, Pixi will come back later this week.

So if you treat your maids in the right way, its not about the money, its about how they feel working for you. If they dont come back aftet the holiday, then look at yourself, and ask, would you come back to work here?
                          [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Amazing what phone technology has achieved. Now you can carry you own neutron star on your hp and in your pocket. Amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
                              Its also about making them part of the family, I see some expats here refer to "their servants".

We, as others here know, never call our maid a maid, she is actually our Pixi.

As an examlpe of hoe you shoud treat your maid.

Saturday morning the our Pixi was crying, her mother had been bitten by a snake and was very sick. So we gave her salary to her early, gave her extra for the bus, and took her to the bus station, so she could get home as soon as possible.
                              Her mother has now had treatment, and is better, Pixi will come back later this week.

So if you treat your maids in the right way, its not about the money, its about how they feel working for you. If they dont come back aftet the holiday, then look at yourself, and ask, would you come back to work here?
                              Unfortunately 'part of the family' is often a fig leaf for exploitation. In many cases the children's pocket money is many times the salary of the domestic worker.
                              "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
                              George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by lantern View Post
                                Unfortunately 'part of the family' is often a fig leaf for exploitation. In many cases the children's pocket money is many times the salary of the domestic worker.

Maybe in your case it is. We dont exploit anyone, the two girls that work for us are very happy and have told us this on many occasions.

Comment

Working...
                                X