Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy tasty bearkfast ideas for picky eater kids

Hi everybody,
    I have problem with my 2 years old toddler,s breakfast.She doesn,t like what we eat for breakfast( bread and cheese,butter, honey,sweet tea, milk and cereals). If you have kids around this age, what do you prepare for their breakfast(except rice)?
    Please share your experience with me and others.
    Thanks
    "Life is the thought of smelling flowers on the soil of another planet." Sohrab Sepehri

Mina

Just send her over to my house, i have 2 boys that will eat anything you put in front of them (as long as it isnt pedas) they usually race to finish their own so they can eat the others as well. I am sure your little girl would be so hungry after 24 hours with my kids she would soon adapt the same survival of the greediest strategy from my boys and come home to you as a fully fledged eating machine.

Comment

I did not see anything on your profile, so I am not sure if you are an Indonesian mother, type A who is prone to chasing their small children (sometimes big ones too) around with a spoon full of whatever is on the menu. Our child sometimes turns up her nose at what is offered. We try to avoid meal time becoming a test of wills. Seems to be more a question of timing than taste. When she gets hungry, then she eats and its usually what was offered at meal time. The trick for us is simply not permitting her to load up on junk food when her body tells her its time to eat.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
        I did not see anything on your profile, so I am not sure if you are an Indonesian mother, type A who is prone to chasing their small children (sometimes big ones too) around with a spoon full of whatever is on the menu. Our child sometimes turns up her nose at what is offered. We try to avoid meal time becoming a test of wills. Seems to be more a question of timing than taste. When she gets hungry, then she eats and its usually what was offered at meal time. The trick for us is simply not permitting her to load up on junk food when her body tells her its time to eat.
        I am not an indonesian mother.I am not chasing my children to eat, but I am sensitive about their intake of vitamins,iron,... . I was just thinking about how to make the breakfast more intresting. I am sensitive about junk food too.That is good idea to give breakfast later than usual. I am going to try your timing solution.
        "Life is the thought of smelling flowers on the soil of another planet." Sohrab Sepehri

Comment

I have more time than most, so a flexible schedule works for us. My view is that a balanced meal has everything a child needs, but my wife thinks a multi-vitamin/mineral supplement cannot hurt. My point was that children listen to their body rhythms more than their parents.

Comment

Mina_H, I apologize because I know this is going to sound mean and judgmental and I really don't mean it as such, but ... the breakfast you describe doesn't sound terrifically healthy to me (although if the bread is a hearty whole-grain kind, and the "cereal" is a granola or oatmeal, that kicks it a notch or two up the nutrition scale). There is protein in it, which is good, and if your kid is not chubby then you don't really need to obsess over fat intake at that age. But where's the plant matter in that meal? Except for the cheese, the menu you describe is high in refined carbs, sugar in particular.

It's true that kids have a built-in sweet tooth, and I think it is silly to deny it. But there are somewhat better ways to indulge it and get your kid to eat things that will be good for them instead of just serving them sweet tea and honey. Get a juicer and make homemade carrot juice - it's delicious, and the orange color usually entices toddlers. (If necessary, make a juice that is a mixture of carrots and apples). BTW, storebought carrot juice is in no way a substitute - Ceres makes it, but it tastes terrible by comparison to fresh and I bet it isn't as nutritious, either.

Also, here is a recipe my family likes that doubles as breakfast food, or dessert:

BANANA YOGURT PUDDING
            1 envelope (1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
            1 cup strained orange juice (I never strain it myself, that's just what the recipe says)
            2 large very ripe bananas, peeled and cut into chunks (that's American bananas - I usually use 4-6 small Indonesian bananas)
            1 cup plain yogurt
            1/4 cup sugar (I cut this way back or leave it out entirely, and the results are just as tasty)
            pinch of salt
            OPTIONAL - 1/4 tsp almond extract or 1/2 tsp vanilla

Soften the gelatin in 1/4 cup of the orange juice for 5 minutes, then dissolve it over simmering water.

In an electric blender, combine the banans, yogurt, remaining orange juice (3/4 cup), salt, and (if used) sugar and extract. Whirl til smooth. With motor running, add the dissolved gelatin.

Pour into individual dishes or a 4-cup gelatin mold. (If you want to turn out the mold, lightly oil it and chill it before adding the liquid pudding.) Chill at least 6 hours and serve.

Note - while this chills, foam rises to the top and oxidizes, leaving you with a pale brown top layer that is not terribly appetizing. You can cover the dish with fruit slices to hide it, turn out the mold so the brown layer is on the bottom where no one sees it, or just ignore it.
            Last edited by Puspawarna; 17-09-11, 15:55.

Comment

I just bought Sanitarium [COLOR=#0000CD]Weet-Bix [/COLOR]breakfast biscuits. It is product of Australia. On the package there is information about its nutritions. 97% wholegrain, low in sugar, high in iron,zinc & folate. I don't know how kids can eat it because the biscuits are not soft and too big.Has anyone tried them? How australians use it for breakfast?

Comment

Mina, any reason you don´t want to give your child bubur?
                My child has been eaten bubur probable since she was 6 month (I don´t remember), I am not indonesian so for me it was quite hard to accept it because she eats for lunch as well and sometimes for dinner rice, but I guess almost all the children and adults people in Indonesia does this.

Bubur is fantastic and very easy to eat (sometimes I put bawang putih or bawang merah on the top the one is already prepare in packets and taste great!!!!), usually all the children like it, after my child grow older I started to give her one day bubur, one day bread (I have to say she is not that keen on bread, I am!!!! I love it and cannot eat breakfast without it!!!!), from that sometimes toast with banana, she likes bananas so that is easy.

When we stopped to give her milk for breakfast we started to give her one spoon of natural honey (homemade) and one fresh orang juice every morning. I tried cereals, oatmeals, when she was around 2 or 3 years but not very succesfull. It is not that easy to give breakfast to small children, I am still wonder what indonesian children get for breakfast before to go to school, sometimes I even believe some children going to the school without eating breakfast!!!!

What about omellete? or I remember when I was younger our parents used to make a mixture of biscuits (Maria biscuits) with orange juice and banana and usually children like it very much.
                Last edited by Shinta; 05-02-12, 10:35.
                Overcoming poverty is no a gesture of charity is an act of justice the protection of a fundamental human right to dignity..

Comment

Hello Mina,
                  Indeed that Weetbix breakfast cereal is very healthy ,the way you serving it is mix 1 bar of the Weetbix with fresh milk and mix some flavour(plain)yoghurt.The cereal will soften fast just like porridge.
                  And when your children starting to like it you can add some chopped fruit what they like(strawberry,kiwi,etc).
                  Scramble egg and toast also good for breakfast.Or some Oatmeal and honey with milk
                  Hope this will help

Comment

Hi Mina,

My friend is a New Zealand baker who is currently running a very popular bakery in Singapore.

I say as while I was there he put me onto his version of Bircher. Basically Museli/oats with a little bit of apple juice added to it. You make it the night before, put it in the fridge and then in the morning chop nuts/dried fruits into it.

It may work with you little one as its easy to eat and a little sweet. Whats also nice about it is that you don't have to worry about finding fresh milk, etc.

Hope that helps,

Pat

Comment

Hi What about smoothies? You make them yourself, put anything in...fruit, veggies, anything really

Ray
                      When my wife wants my opinion, she gives it to me

Comment

Originally posted by Bumblebee View Post
                        Hello Mina,
                        Indeed that Weetbix breakfast cereal is very healthy ,the way you serving it is mix 1 bar of the Weetbix with fresh milk and mix some flavour(plain)yoghurt.The cereal will soften fast just like porridge.
                        And when your children starting to like it you can add some chopped fruit what they like(strawberry,kiwi,etc).
                        Scramble egg and toast also good for breakfast.Or some Oatmeal and honey with milk
                        Hope this will help
                        Soggy weetbix is horrible, I was brought up on the stuff. Best served with cold milk and eaten before it gets soggy. Also good dry with butter spread on top, you can add vegimite or peanut butter.
                        Asam di gunung, garam di laut bertemu dalam satu belanga. https://linuxcounter.net/cert/352656.png

Comment

I used to have my maid cook up bubur. We had her mix in a lot of veggies like chopped carrots and some egg, too. It's based on fresh, whole foods and didn't have anything processed in it, which I reckon is healthier than anything you can buy in a box. My kids loved it when they were toddlers. Do your kids like eggs? Why not try some scrambled eggs? You can mix in lots of nutritious stuff like tomatoes and cheese, and it's fast, easy, and cheap.

Comment

i was just searching for ready-made baby foods that are available in jakarta (like the ones in jars) for my 9 month old, and i came across baby bar. they are a home based company that delivers baby food for babies AND toddlers! i read their info and it's run by two moms who have kiddos themselves. plus, it looks like they have a lot of clients, so it might be worth a try for your picky eaters. they update their weekly menu via twitter/facebook and you can order via bbm (how convenient!)

http://twitter.com/baby_bar

best of luck to you and your tots

Comment

If your children are big on savory breakfast, you can try making crustless quiche (see http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crustless-spinach-quiche/ for an example, but it is very easy and fun to replace the ingredients to incorporate other items like mushrooms, etc.) or tuna muffins (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recip...recipe=132311; OomBen added some baking soda to make it less dense, if i'm not mistaken). These freeze and reheat really well.

I'm with puspa in that the list of breakfast items you mentioned seems high on processed carbs. Also, Shinta i absolutely don't mean to pass judgment on your breakfast strategy but i'd avoid a breakfast consisting only of rice porridge unless you add a heap of veggies and/or protein in it, as white rice is known to be one of the least nutritious grains out there.

Good luck, Mina!!
                              "There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
                              -Bill Watterson

Comment

Working...
                              X