X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Indonesian divorce

Hi All,

Need some advice please.

I'm a foreigner who got married to my Indonesian wife just under a year ago in Jakarta under the muslim faith as she is a muslim and I converted beforehand so that our marriage could be registered properly in Indonesia. We've known each other for many years and everything has been great since we got married but we had an argument (the first one we've ever had!) just before Xmas last year and now she wont even talk to me and has told me she wants a divorce. She has no justification for this as I haven't done anything wrong and I feel very upset about this as it is not what I want. She has been to my home country many times most recently last year for 3 months and I used to live in Indonesia and have many friends there and we were planning on doing the spouse visa this year however she is back in Indonesia now and I in my home country. I still want things to be reconciled as I don't want to get divorced. I know a bit about the marriage laws in Indonesia but would appreciate any advice or guidance on what my options are?

Originally posted by Wee_Fifer View Post
    ... she wont even talk to me and has told me she wants a divorce ... she is back in Indonesia now and I in my home country ... I still want things to be reconciled as I don't want to get divorced. I know a bit about the marriage laws in Indonesia but would appreciate any advice or guidance on what my options are?

Unfortunately I think she can easily get the divorce if you don't return to live with her soon . She has strong options for requesting the divorce :
    - the couple has irreconcilable differences
    - the husband is unable to provide the basic necessities of life
    - the other spouse has left for two consecutive years, without consent and without legitimate reasons or the absence of reasons beyond his/her control ,

I think that she can , at any time , use the first and/or the second option(s) above to apply for the divorce , and if you are not there to defend yourself , the divorce may be issued in your absence .

http://www.expat.or.id/info/divorce-...indonesia.html (About divorce in Indonesia)
    Last edited by marcus; 1 week ago.

Comment

Working...
    X