KITAS and marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KITAS and marriage

My wife has been told my police that I need to have kitas to get their stamp on our marriage certificate
    Has anyone had this problem, I do not live or work in Indonesia
    any information on getting the marriage certificate legalized and what stamps are required, we already have from the consulate general
    Thanks

Originally posted by Ryanjames18 View Post
    (1) My wife has been told my police that I need to have kitas to get their stamp on our marriage certificate

(2) any information on getting the marriage certificate legalized and what stamps are required, we already have from the consulate general

(1) Not true , as far as I know (never heard that before in more than 10 years in this Forum) .

(2) Assuming your wife is Indonesian and you married outside Indonesia , there are 2 things to do to make Indonesia recognize your marriage :

- "Register/Legalize" the foreign marriage certificate in an Indonesian Embassy/Consulate in the country where you married ,

- "Register"/get an Indonesian certificate in an Indonesian city's Kantor Catatan Sipil (Civil Registry where your Indonesian spouse resides) anytime (there will be small fine if later than around 1 or 2 months after you move to Indonesia) . Better do it in your next visit to family in Indonesia as the date of the Indonesian certificate is the one recognized as the marriage date by Indonesia (not the date of the foreign certificate) .

http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html (see "Getting Married Abroad")
    Last edited by marcus; 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Hey Marcus thanks so much for your reply.
      sorry I didn't give much detail, we were married in Java, my wife is catholic. We got married in November but only received marriage certificate from civil council last week. But apparently she has to go to police get a stamp from them and to the Australian embassy in jakarta and get stamps from them, but the people at the Civic council arnt too sure themselves, any information would be greatly appreciated
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanjames18 View Post
        (a) ... received marriage certificate from civil council ...

(b) and to the Australian embassy in jakarta and get stamps from them, ...

(a) I never heard of "civil council" before either .

So , from what I know , you marry in a church and get the marriage certificate issued by Kantor Catatan Sipil (the city's Registry office) . That is all , you are officially married (according to Indonesia's government) with an official Indonesian marriage certificate !

(b) Assuming you are Australian , I think you need to know what your country requires in relation to that Indonesian marriage certificate .

Although not stated in the Regulations , Indonesian Immigration sometimes ask for a proof of your Indonesian marriage being registered at you Embassy/Consulate , in KITAS and/or KITAP process . I got both KITAS and KITAP but was not asked for that .

Comment

Working...
        X