Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circumcision required to convert?

Hi all.

I am getting married latter this year in Jakarta, and needing to convert to Islam for the marriage.
    So far, 3 of the Imam's we have approached for the conversion have insisted that I need to be circumcised in order for them to allow me to convert. Have others come up with this same issue? I am not keen on having the old boy snipped, so looking for a way around it, or a Mesjid and Imam that people may have used previously that did not mind if the male was circumcised or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Scott.

I would suggest you inquire in other cities in java , rules here are flexible ,

Comment

Originally posted by scotty13 View Post
      ... Have others come up with this same issue? ... so looking for a way around it, or a Mesjid and Imam that people may have used previously that did not mind if the male was circumcised or not ...

I converted to Islam in a very small Mosque here in Bandung , but nobody talked to me about circumcision .

(from http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religi...umcision.shtml)
      [ ... Circumcision is not compulsory in Islam but it is an important ritual aimed at improving cleanliness. It is strongly encouraged but not enforced ...]

http://www.expat.or.id/info/conversiontoislam.html (Conversion to Islam)

Comment

I converted in Istiqlal mosque, Jakarta.. They asked if I was "cut". "Not yet". Okay..:-)
        Register, bring all the necessary documents incl. witnesses and do your thing, without mentioning anything about being circumcised or not.
        If they ask, just tell them, that you are not (yet)..

Comment

Thanks for the help team. When asked I just replied 'belum' and the Imam gave a speech about the importance of having the snip, then moved on to the next part

Comment

Congrats on your conversion success.

Either say "belum" like you did or:
            Just tell them you're planning to do that sometime next year.. they won't be coming back to ask you for that.
            or
            Just tell them you've done it already. They won't ask you to drop your pants
            "Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X