Announcement

Collapse

Expat Forum Moving Hosting

We have moved the Expat Forum to a new server in late March. You'll notice some changes due to upgrades we've made in the vBulletin software.

If you have questions, please email me at [email protected].

wm
See more
See less

confusing legality of marriage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confusing legality of marriage

Hello!

We're going to get married next month but we're still unsure of how our marriage can be recognised in Indonesia and other legality stuff.
    So i was wondering to post this to some who have been through this.

1. We're going to get married in Australia as my fiance holds an Australian passport (we have found a celebrant, etc.), but i read the article saying that
    Law of Administration of the Population (2006) (Undang-Undang no. 23 Tahun 2006 tentang Administrasi Kependukan) supersedes the 1974 Marriage Law. It states that Indonesian citizens who do not get married in Indonesia will have their marriages recognised. They need to register their marriage with the Indonesian Consulate in the country where the marriage takes place
    Does it mean that we need to make an appointment with the Indonesian Consulate in the city we plan to hold our ceremony in? Or can we just go there and fill up the form and submit it on the same day? What is the process?

2. Do we need to submit the documentation when we're back to Indo again after submitting those forms to Indonesian Consulate in the wedding location? Meaning that failing to do so, our marriage won't be recognised in Indonesia?

3. We heard of this prenup thing and we consider to have one as I have an asset in Indo and am willing to invest in the future (owning an asset) in Indo. Does it mean that we need to have a prenup? Does anyone know any lawyer (or Notary is enough?) that provides this service (but cheap please.)?

4. I would like to put his last name on mine, does anyone know the process? I've read the article saying that i need to submit the request to the court and need to change my Birth Certificate first before i can update my passport? Meaning that i don't need to update my National ID and Family Card to update my passport?

Thank you so much!

I cannot post much now , so :

After the marriage , contact the Indonesian Embassy in the country you married to "register" the marriage certificate there . When you decide to live in Indonesia , you "register" it again in Catatan Sipil .

Better get a prenup/separated properties & businesses with a notary in Indonesia (price start from Rp500'000 with a notary who do not speak English and use a standard version of prenup) .

I don't know anything about name change .

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post

After the marriage , contact the Indonesian Embassy in the country you married to "register" the marriage certificate there . When you decide to live in Indonesia , you "register" it again in Catatan Sipil .

Better get a prenup/separated properties & businesses with a notary in Indonesia (price start from Rp500'000 with a notary who do not speak English and use a standard version of prenup).
      Thank you for this, Marcus!

So i need to register twice after the legal wedding ceremony that will be held by a Australian legal celebrant? Do you know anything about whether it's okay for me to just register it in Catatan Sipil in Indonesia without register our marriage at the Consulate General of RI? Or can the Consulate General of RI "notify" the Civil Registry in Indo? - sorry it's just a bit confusing as it feels like we need to register twice to the same country. lol

got it for the Notary and thank you for informing me the price! going to get a local notary.
      After the prenup is complete, do we need to submit the prenup to all or any of: the Australian celebrant, Consulate General and/or Civil Registry?

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by swtescapefa View Post
        (1) So i need to register twice ...?

(2) Do you know anything about whether it's okay for me to just register it in Catatan Sipil in Indonesia without register our marriage at the Consulate General of RI?

(3) Or can the Consulate General of RI "notify" the Civil Registry in Indo?

(4) - sorry it's just a bit confusing as it feels like we need to register twice to the same country. lol

(5) After the prenup is complete, do we need to submit the prenup to all or any of: the Australian celebrant, Consulate General and/or Civil Registry?

(1) Yes (see "Getting Married Abroad" in http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html) .

(2) Not ok .

(3) Probably they don't do that . Remember that you don't need to do it at Catatan Sipil before you decide to live in Indonesia .

(4) One is the country's Embassy (to legalize a foreign document) , the other is the city's government office responsible for issuing your KK/KTP with the information of you being married .

(5) Only Catatan Sipil may be interested in it .

Comment

Working...
        X