KUA bribery

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KUA bribery

Hello my indonesian wife and myself were just married in Bandar Lampung on may 15th and i will be returning to the US on the 24th. we met all the listed requirements and are now being asked for a bribe of 10-15 million rupiah from the local kua staff before they will give us our marriage book. Is there any department or organization we can report them to to avoid having to pay the bribe as we have little money left after the wedding and will need to start the US visa application process for my wife immediately. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

perhaps reach out to the US Consulate? If they can't help maybe they can point you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by BAJakarta View Post
      perhaps reach out to the US Consulate? If they can't help maybe they can point you in the right direction.
      see I dont understand this place sometimes
      I known the country runs on tips ya I have no problem with that but the amount they are asking is just greed that's all
      folks just insane and very greedy

dont pay it stand your ground offer them 50,000 each as a tip 10 people 500,000RP done anymore and there trying
      to take you for a ride
      “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”

Comment

Originally posted by Philmach1 View Post
        Hello my indonesian wife and myself were just married in Bandar Lampung on may 15th and i will be returning to the US on the 24th. we met all the listed requirements and are now being asked for a bribe of 10-15 million rupiah from the local kua staff before they will give us our marriage book. Is there any department or organization we can report them to to avoid having to pay the bribe as we have little money left after the wedding and will need to start the US visa application process for my wife immediately. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
        Were you quoted a price before? Did you ask?
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Are you an American or green card holder? My discussion is with the assumption you are a U.S. citizen.
          Also based on your description of returning to the U.S., I assume you are both going to be traveling to the U.S. and I assume you don't already have the green card.

I know it is 20/20 hindsight, but maybe you should have applied for the fiancé visa and got married in the U.S. Fiancé visas are approved faster than wife visas. There has been plenty of discussion over the years about this. I wonder if you still can? Maybe if they won't issue you the official paperwork, you can claim not to be officially married yet and get to apply for the fiancé visa.

Are you trying to do this to register a prenup?

Welcome to the forum on your first post. Hopefully you can describe more of your situation and others may be able to help better.
          Last edited by jukung11; 18-05-16, 03:41. Reason: My reading comprehension was low

Comment

http://jakarta.usembassy.gov/visa/fiance_k1_visa.html

Comment

Yep, a spousal visa takes longer. I'd guess 9 months to a year, in much of the US.

You also need all your supporting tax records to prove you can support your spouse. About $26k for 2 adults and 1 kid the last I checked. Going back 3 years of tax filings, I think. Or you can have a sponsor who guarantees any shortage.

I'm not sure if the San Bernadino bombers have increased scrutiny on fiance visas.
              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Philmach1 View Post
                Very expensive...

You can report them to "Departemen Agama"

Please read this site, your wife can translate it to you
                No Gratification, and the money (Rp.600.000,-) must be transferred to Departemen Agama, not to the staff. So don't give them money...

Be careful with naughty staff...

http://www.kemenag.go.id/index.php?a=berita&id=230468
                Last edited by be happy; 18-05-16, 09:41.
                [FONT=comic sans ms]"The body needs food, the souls needs Zikr, the mind needs fikr, and the heart should always be doing shukr"[/FONT][FONT=comic sans ms][/FONT]

Comment

File a report of corruption with the local police.

Comment

Working...
                  X