Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Married in other country...is legal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Married in other country...is legal?

    Hello guys,

    I have a question...in i have my marriage in portugal, my gf will automatically have Portuguese nationality.
    When I return to Indonesia, I also stay with the Indonesian nationality?

    [SIZE=1]Sorry if have in another topic.[/SIZE]

    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by DGoncalves View Post
    Hello guys,

    I have a question...in i have my marriage in portugal, my gf will automatically have Portuguese nationality.
    When I return to Indonesia, I also stay with the Indonesian nationality?

    [SIZE=1]Sorry if have in another topic.[/SIZE]

    Thanks
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying. Being married to an Indonesian doesn't confurm any type of citizenship. You can apply for a residency permit.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

    Comment


    • #3
      I also didn't understand .

      Be informed that :

      - If your wife is Indonesian , by getting a Portuguese nationality she cannot be an Indonesian citizen anymore , because Indonesia does not allow dual citizenship .

      - Your marriage , if legal in Portugal , it will be legal in Indonesia too . But you could not register it at the Indonesian Embassy in Portugal and neither register it in Indonesia if your wife is not Indonesian anymore . And also , you could not get any Indonesian Visa sponsored by your wife if she becomes a Portuguese citizen .

      Comment


      • #4
        Right. But getting married in Portugal and return to Indonesia, and register the union that was made, I will have a legal visa, in order to live in the country?

        Comment


        • #5
          no you need a visa to live here and your ex RI spouse will need one also !

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow this is new for me about the citizen for her if we marry in other country.
            Is the same in all countrys?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by DGoncalves View Post
              Wow this is new for me about the citizen for her if we marry in other country.
              Is the same in all countrys?
              I think the confusion exists because you said your wife will become a citizen of Portugal. If this is not the case, then only you would have to sign up for a residency visa.
              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

              Comment


              • #8
                When you give the wedding in Portugal with a Portuguese, the other person "foreign" is legalized in the country. In this case, returning to Indonesia I would only have a residence visa ??? and with this i can work legally? Thanks

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by DGoncalves View Post
                  When you give the wedding in Portugal with a Portuguese, the other person "foreign" is legalized in the country. In this case, returning to Indonesia I would only have a residence visa ??? and with this i can work legally? Thanks
                  You really need to familarize yourself with the laws and visa section of the forum.

                  I'm pretty certain that your wife will NOT become a Portuguese citizen upon marriage, but is just allowed legal residency. You will not be allowed to work in Indonesia without legal permits. There are some cases where a expat spouse may be allowed informal work.
                  Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DGoncalves View Post
                    When you give the wedding in Portugal with a Portuguese, the other person "foreign" is legalized in the country. In this case, returning to Indonesia I would only have a residence visa ??? and with this i can work legally? Thanks
                    Your Indonesian wife will get PR (permanent residence status) not a Portuguese nationality (even when she is entitled to) unless she will give up her Indonesian citizenship.

                    You can have a look here, for explanation of visa types.

                    http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...-and-Documents

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Right, that was the confusion, because by chance I really thought would become Portuguese citizen if the marriage is in Portugal.
                      Either way whenever someone must enlist me in order to be living in jakarta, correct?
                      thanks

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So , if your wife doesn't become a Portuguese citizen and continues to be Indonesian , you need to register you Portuguese marriage certificate in an Indonesian Embassy in Portugal , then later register the marriage at Kantor Catatan Sipil of the Indonesian city where you want to live or where your wife's KTP (Identity card) is from . More details in the link below .

                        http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I will just quickly add: If you and your wife want to live and stay in Portugal then there is no need to register your marriage in Indonesia. But if you want to come and live in Indonesia it would be better to have your marriage registered here as well. There are some prons and cons of registering marriage in any other country that you were married.
                          If you just want to try to live in Indonesia why not getting some holiday 3-4 weeks to come and see the country first.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by marcus View Post
                            So , if your wife doesn't become a Portuguese citizen and continues to be Indonesian , you need to register you Portuguese marriage certificate in an Indonesian Embassy in Portugal , then later register the marriage at Kantor Catatan Sipil of the Indonesian city where you want to live or where your wife's KTP (Identity card) is from . More details in the link below .

                            http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html
                            Yes, i will see that link.

                            Originally posted by SMALLWORLD View Post
                            I will just quickly add: If you and your wife want to live and stay in Portugal then there is no need to register your marriage in Indonesia. But if you want to come and live in Indonesia it would be better to have your marriage registered here as well. There are some prons and cons of registering marriage in any other country that you were married.
                            If you just want to try to live in Indonesia why not getting some holiday 3-4 weeks to come and see the country first.
                            Live there, in Indonesia.
                            I already stayed there between feb and march, and everything running well, is why a want go there.
                            My doubt is, if marry and register there, i can live there, or i need first find a job, for give me kitas.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              have RI wife sponsor you for sosbud visa .once here register your marriage then go to immigration in wifes KTP location and start process to change spouse sponsored sosbud into a spouse sponsored Kitas .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X