Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need info on marriage

Hi all,
    I would like to ask if anyone here knew how and what are the documents that I need to have my marriage in Jakarta.
    I am Indian citizen and I'm Hindu, while my future wife is Indonesian and she's Moslem. We both will still have our religion, and therefore I would like to know regarding the rules and papers I need to have.
    Hoped well to be assisted by any of you, and thank you.

You can't get married in Indonesia unless one or both of you changes religion. If you both change to Catholic I guess it would be OK.

Comment

Unless you are prepared to convert to Islam or she to your Hindu faith, the documents you need are two tickets abroad. In most similar cases proffered on this board where a couple of different faiths wish to marry in Indonesia, the non-Muslim converts in order comply with the law. (Its usually a sham conversion in the mind of the convertee, but it is a practical solution.) Under Indonesian law in-country mixed religion marriages are not allowed. The other option, as I note, is to marry abroad in a jurisdiction where like religions is not a requirement. Such marriages, as I understand it, can then be registered in Indonesia.

Comment

[QUOTE=waarmstrong;442581Under Indonesian law in-country mixed religion marriages are not allowed. [/QUOTE]

Not exactly. I don't think there's a specific law banning it. However there is some kind of law or regulation saying all marriages must be religious ceremonies, which can't be if there are 2 religions involved (well I guess it could, but would be a bit of a weird ceremony).

Comment

Originally posted by LamaSekali View Post
          Not exactly. I don't think there's a specific law banning it. However there is some kind of law or regulation saying all marriages must be religious ceremonies, which can't be if there are 2 religions involved (well I guess it could, but would be a bit of a weird ceremony).
          I suppose its all a matter of interpretation. The sister site to the Forum (http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html) does includes this passage which seems to preclude getting a marriage certificate unless one of the parties converts to the religion of their partner:

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]In accordance with Law No. 1 of 1974 concerning marriages in Indonesia Article 2 (1):

[/FONT][/COLOR]
          [COLOR=#000000][FONT=Verdana]“a marriage is legitimate if it has been performed according to the laws of the respective religious beliefs of the parties concerned. All couples who marry in Indonesia must declare a religion. Agnosticism and Atheism are not recognized. The Civil Registry Office (Kantor Catatan Sipil) can record marriages of persons of Hindu, Buddhist, Christian-Protestant and Christian-Catholic faiths. Marriage partners must have the same religion, otherwise one partner must make a written declaration of change of religion.”[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

Hello Vivekn707,

You have 2 option:
            1) Marry in Indonesia, and choose whether you will marry in Islam ( Kantor Urusan Agama /KUA) or Hindu (Catatan Sipil). As you are an expatriat, your embassy should require a court orders for legal purpose. So it would be preferrable if you marry in Hindu custom. The problems are as Indonesia Marriage law UU No 1/1974 Chapter 1 (2) state a marriage is only legal if it's abides one religion law. So if someone disagree (related party), they can appeal for marriage annulment.
            2) Marry in another country, then go back and register in Indonesia. It is the safest option. and If i remember correctly, India Law allow civil marriage (mixed religion marriage)

Comment

none muslim man cant marry muslim lady even if the countyry law let you do it we have our law ( quran )

Comment

I suggest you and your bride get married in singapore. then bring the marriage certificate to the indonesian embassy and later in Indonesia to Kantor Catatan Sipil to be legalize.

Comment

Working...
                X