Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying $700 for a marriage "calo" too much?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying $700 for a marriage "calo" too much?

Hi I posted a thread about a problem I was having with getting the surah numpang nikah form for my marriage in this march. I have found a marriage "calo" (marriage calo: Someone who basically arranges your marriage and documents in indonesia) in jakarta that is claiming to be able to arrange the surah numpang nikah form in jakarta (despite my fiance being a resident of bandung) and to arrange our marriage.

does anyone here have any experience with a calo arranging their marriage and if so, how much did you pay?
    Can anyone reference me to a trustworthy calo in indonesia that may help me?
    Finally, is $700 for a calo arranging a marriage too much? Seems kind of a rip off to me considering I have all but the surah documents already.

I appreciate any help and would really appreciate any references someone could give me on a trustworthy calo that they themselves have used or know of.

-I am American and Muslim
    -fiance is Indonesian and Muslim

Originally posted by haditj66 View Post
    ... is claiming to be able to arrange the surah numpang nikah form in jakarta (despite my fiance being a resident of bandung) ...

... is $700 for a calo arranging a marriage too much? ...

Regardless of the price , you should not hire somebody to do something illegal , that seems to be what the calo is proposing .

Comment

Hi marcus... the reality is that bribings are common practice Indonesia. Without bribery (even for indonesian themselves), we sometimes couldnt get far...
      I'm not encouraging it, but the facts remain so for certain situations.

I have a colleague (born outside Jakarta)who made a Jkt KTP using someone else's KK.. It involved bribery and it is fine until now (provided that we know the people who have the necessary connection).

My advice to the OP, There's a chance that he's a fraud, you have to make sure that the "calo" have the necessary connection to conduct what he proposed.
      I'm not sure of the "standard" price for such procedure... But haggling is an option if there's no other alternative.

I hope all goes well with you.
      Last edited by sand86id; 12-02-15, 10:57.

Comment

Thank you sand86id. Well from what we know from pictures is that the calo has performed a couple of marriages and one of which was for a foreigner it looks like. The thing we are worried about is if she is really capable of getting the surat numpang nikah in jakarta. It still seems she is charging too much as she probably recognizes the price increase from me being an American, but as for now we don't have a choice but to use her service as she is all we know right now, unless someone knows a more credible calo. We'll try to gauge her connections to see if she is really capable though. thank you.

Originally posted by marcus View Post
        Regardless of the price , you should not hire somebody to do something illegal , that seems to be what the calo is proposing .
        I don't believe it is illegal what we are doing at all. basically we need the surah numpang nikah form, are not able to get it from her residence, so need to get it from a different city. Just don't know how to do this but I know it can be done. I spoke with a marriage lawyer within Jakarta who also claimed would do it for $4500 . problem was that he provides full marriage service which we did not need. But yea, I don't believe it is illegal.

Comment

$700 !!! are you serious ?? Fuck yeah its too much.

Comment

Originally posted by sand86id View Post
            Hi marcus... the reality is that bribings are common practice Indonesia. Without bribery (even for indonesian themselves), we sometimes couldnt get far...

From what I have seen , Indonesians normally bribe (small money) to expedite a process , not to ask for something illegal .

In 15 years living in Indonesia , I never bribed anybody (except a policeman in a Christmas night when I just arrived here) . I do myself all my visas , residency permits , surat from RT/RW , surat from Kelurahan/Kecamatan , documents from Kantor Catatan Sipil , ...

Comment

Originally posted by haditj66 View Post
              (1) ... The thing we are worried about is if she is really capable of getting the surat numpang nikah in jakarta..(despite my fiance being a resident of bandung) ...
              ... I don't believe it is illegal what we are doing at all. basically we need the surah numpang nikah form, are not able to get it from her residence, so need to get it from a different city. ... I spoke with a marriage lawyer within Jakarta who also claimed would do it for $4500 . problem was that he provides full marriage service which we did not need. But yea, I don't believe it is illegal.

I am almost sure that what was proposed to you is illegal .

This document must be done at the place where your fiance lives (Bandung) , cannot be done in Jakarta .

Could you tell us why you think it is legal ? [but please don't tell us that it is because a lawyer told you she/he can do that (+ few more things) for USD4'500]

Comment

Hi Haditj66,

It is too much, and your fiancee location is not in Jakarta. I'm very suspicious he will give you a fake document, as this often happened.

Comment

No need 'Calo' I 'd advise to do it by yourself. It's not too complicated just follow the rules, simple as that. Beside you will get a problem if they found out that you have fake papers. You can keep the money for something else. Still long way to go, marriage is just a start.

I am Indonesian Muslim married to An American Muslim (2010) in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by womaninthewoodenmask View Post
                    No need 'Calo' I 'd advise to do it by yourself. It's not too complicated just follow the rules, simple as that. Beside you will get a problem if they found out that you have fake papers. You can keep the money for something else. Still long way to go, marriage is just a start.

Tornado season is about to come, be safe *reading your location
                    failing fast or recover fast? Going AGILE.....

Comment

Originally posted by womaninthewoodenmask View Post
                      So you're not male and female then ??

Comment

Working...
                      X