No announcement yet.

Marriage questions

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Marriage questions


    [COLOR=#333333]I will be marrying my WNI fiance in Yogyakarta this coming March so we are busy preparing everything we need. I am an Australian citizen. I have two questions re obtaining the Letter of No Impediment from the Australian embassy:[/COLOR]

    [COLOR=#333333]1) Is it possible to receive this from the consulate in Denpasar or must it be from Jakarta? I am travelling to Bali in a few weeks and it would be easier for me to get it there but I have a feeling that is only for marriages conducted and/or registered in Bali, is this correct?[/COLOR]

    [COLOR=#333333]2) Sorry if this one is a silly question. I have never been married previously, do I need to prove this in order to get the Letter? I note that in the case of previous marriages the divorce papers must be shown but what happens in the case that one has never married before?[/COLOR]

    [COLOR=#333333]Also, this will be a Buddhist ceremony. My fiance has an affiliation with a vihara in Yogyakarta and has plenty of evidence that he is Buddhist, including on his KTP. Do I need to show evidence too? I have been a member of a Buddhist society in Australia for almost 5 years and have a membership card. Is this all I would need or will I need a letter from the Abbot there to confirm my status?[/COLOR]

    [COLOR=#333333]Thanks for your time[/COLOR]

  • #2
    1) and 2) See here for instructions:

    RE: Buddhist ceremony. Sorry, hopefully someone else might be able to help you this with this one. But it's probably best you make contact with whoever is officiating the ceremony IN ADDITION to whatever the Civil Registry Office (Kantor Catatan Sipil) say.

    Good luck!


    • #3
      I am Australian and obtained a Certificate of No Impediment to Marriage in early 2014. Like you, I had not been married before.

      I did everything by post, from Australia as I recall, and it was a very straight-forward process with no additional questions asked. From what I remember I just filled out a form, completed a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration and had it signed by a JP, and transferred the appropriate fee.

      When dealing with the Australian Embassy in Jakarta from Australia the most troublesome thing can be paying fees if you do not have money in an Indonesian account as they want IDR and many Australian banks seem to have an issue with IDR. I even tried ANZ, given they have branches in Indonesia, but I have still had problems - ANZ in Indo is not well connected to ANZ in Aust it seems. Anyway, note that you can often pre-pay applications destined for the Embassy in Jakarta via e-mail and credit card at an Australian office, which can make things a whole lot easier. Details are on the website, but I only stumbled across them after many many visits.
      Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.