Mixed marriage in indonesia with UK citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
    I was also under the impression that you had to be in the country for 21 days before you can get married

Not so, unless this is a new requirement. I married in Dec. 2007 after only 1 week of my arrival in Jakarta.
    "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

You may be right, I just read this on the UK Embassy website that this was a requirement.
      [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
        You may be right, I just read this on the UK Embassy website that this was a requirement.
        The UK embassy has a few mistakes in its info - I wouldn't rely on it.

Comment

The 21 days wait for the CNI relates to the giving of Notice of Marriage according to British Law. We know that if we marry in UK, the Banns are read in church on two consecutive Sundays and Notice of Marriage is given and displayed at the Civil Registry office. That is the process. At Jakarta, the Notice of Marriage is displayed and anyone can see these on a visit to the embassy/Consulate offices. When the 21 days are elapsed and no notice has been given of an 'impediment' to the proposed marriage, then, of course, the CNI can be immediately issued and subject to payment of the fee. the first 65 Pounds is for the Notice and the second 65 pounds for the CNI itself which comes with an Indonesian translation. Something is clearly amiss in Bangkok if they are issuing the CNI without applying the rule of the 21 days.

I also thought that you had to be in the country for 21 days but that is for the Indonesian side of things than the Embassy/Consulate and I daresay the 21 days exact time period can be and would be waived if the CNI was produced. There is clearly inconsistency but I am in no doubt as regards UK Law at least, the CNI is not instantly granted.

Comment

Thailand has different requirements, so as long as the marriage meets their legal side I guess it is just one of those things.
            One of the reasons I chose there- cuts down on the hotel bills cos I am stingy.
            Pre the wedding I spoke to the registry in the UK & they said it did not apply to where I was getting married.
            As long as I had a signed statement & some references that they could check in the UK who would attest to me being single - should they choose to check them.
            Cicak Magnet

Comment

Working...
            X