Mixed marriage in indonesia with UK citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed marriage in indonesia with UK citizen

Hi, not to make it more confusing, but im asking these questions for a friend of mine.
    She is a UK citizen, and on 24 july is getting married to an indonesian man.
    They will do a hindu ceremony on the 24th in bali.
    She will arrive in indonesia on 10th of july

She asked to get a letter of non impediment back in the uk but it takes 3 weeks so theres not enough time for that.
    We know that she can get a letter of non impediment at the british consulate here on bali, and i emailed them but no reply yet. Her fiance called them also, but im guessing he does not really understand any of it, so i would like to help them with what i know.

1. What does she need to bring to the consulate to get a letter of non impediment? Does it take 3 weeks of is it ready the same day?
    2. She has a birth certificate, what other documents she need to get from UK while she still there?
    3. As in my experience now, i told her to get the prenup done. Anyone in North Bali know of any prices for prenup?
    4. After religious ceremony, they need to register the marriage at Catatan sipil. What do they need for this?

hope anyone can help.
    Thanks

The British consulate anywhere are rubbish at picking up the phone. I went in person to make the appointment when I got mine.

7 years back I got my affidavit on the same day now I'm not sure they seem to change the rules every year. Took about 10 minutes total and you are charged a small fortune for it. Think it costs over 1 million now for this piece of paper (ask for extra copies just in case you never know).

Honestly can't remember what I needed exactly. I do seem to remember that I needed something official to show what religion I was ( I had a conversion certificate) and I dare say my passport and birth certificate.
    The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

To get the letter of no impediment you have to wait 3 weeks, it is not optional and there is no way around it. If she cant get it in UK, then she has to get it here. If she is arriving on 10th, she will not be able to to get the certificate before 1 August.

She will need her passport and long version British birth certificate. If married before will also need all divorce papers.

The cost for the certificate is about 1 juta, or 65 pounds Stirling.

Here is a link, follow the instructions and it will tell you all you need to know to get married as a UK citizen in Indonesia.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

Here is a link to the charges in UK pounds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sular_Fees.pdf

From the dates you have given, unfortunately the wedding cannot take place when planned.
      [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

She can do a religious ceremony before, while waiting for the 3 weeks for letter of non impediment to pass, and when she has that letter, she can go register the marriage in the catatan sipil, right?
        Or am i completely wrong on this ?

I did my religious ceremony back in oktober, and am now preparing to register at the catatan sipil..

Comment

Originally posted by jim69 View Post
          To get the letter of no impediment you have to wait 3 weeks, it is not optional and there is no way around it. If she cant get it in UK, then she has to get it here. If she is arriving on 10th, she will not be able to to get the certificate before 1 August.

She will need her passport and long version British birth certificate. If married before will also need all divorce papers.

The cost for the certificate is about 1 juta, or 65 pounds Stirling.

Here is a link, follow the instructions and it will tell you all you need to know to get married as a UK citizen in Indonesia.

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

Here is a link to the charges in UK pounds.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...sular_Fees.pdf

From the dates you have given, unfortunately the wedding cannot take place when planned.
          Should be ok with the short version on birth certificate, I didn't know a long version existed until I got to the british consulate in Jakarta... they told me short was ok for wedding, but would be no use to register my childs birth at a british consulate. As well as getting the certificate of no impediment you also then need to get it translated into Indonesian, which again, you will be charged for. But as Jim69 has said, she cannot get married without this document, and she has neither the time to apply in the UK, or Indonesia.

Comment

So you all are saying that, because she has no time to get the letter of non impediment, in uk or in bali, before the planned wedding ceremony, she cannot do the wedding ceremony. But as i did myself, i did the religious wedding ceremony (hindu), without any papers on my part, and now, about 8 months later, planning on registering the marriage at the catatan sipil. (and now need all the papers ofcourse)
            She can get letter of non impediment later or after the ceremony right?

Comment

As I recall, the 65 Pounds Sterling is paid twice in Indonesian Rupiah - once for the Notice of Marriage and Affidaviit of Status, then a second fee for the CNI itself 21 days later. That is British Law, no way around it here or there unless you marry in UK by special Licence, do not know the procedure for that.

The CNI is an important document and will be required for the religious marriage and later on in a number of administrative processes in dealings for KITAS and KITAP.

Comment

I married in Bangkok and I did not wait 3 weeks for a letter of no impediment- it took less than an hour (at the British embassy consular section, in Bangkok).
                The needed documents are listed on the website as is a template of the form to fill in, will also need names & addresses of witnesses to back up the no impediment claim.
                But the OP's friend is not marrying in Bangkok so I have no idea.
                Doesn't look promising though.
                Last edited by bad_azz; 29-06-13, 21:13.
                Cicak Magnet

Comment

If she does not do all the required paperwork she will not be classed as legally married either... that can only happen once the "T's" have been crossed & the "I's" dotted.
                  Cicak Magnet

Comment

The consulate in Bali used to be very helpful if you go and speak to him personally,I know since the changed the location of the consulate it is harder to gain access but if you are British it is used to be ok.

Comment

Originally posted by zsaaaa View Post
                      So you all are saying that, because she has no time to get the letter of non impediment, in uk or in bali, before the planned wedding ceremony, she cannot do the wedding ceremony. But as i did myself, i did the religious wedding ceremony (hindu), without any papers on my part, and now, about 8 months later, planning on registering the marriage at the catatan sipil. (and now need all the papers ofcourse)
                      She can get letter of non impediment later or after the ceremony right?
                      She can of course do the ceremony.

The official date of marriage will however be later, i.e. whenever all the legal documents get completed. That part wouldn't even need to be done in Indonesia.

For myself, I have 4 different wedding dates, depending on which part of it you're talking about (ceremonies, legal parts etc). However on the actual certificate there is only one date, which is actually before the ceremony happened in my case.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys.
                        They will do the religious wedding ceremony as planned, and once they have all the proper paperwork they will register the marriage at the catatan sipil.
                        For the ceremony they dont need any papers.
                        Anyone know from experience what documents the catatan sipil needs?

Comment

Marriage certificates & copies, KTP original & copies, Domisili & copies, photographs of the couple together- not snapshots, specific sizes. etc...
                          Look on here it should be comprehensive.
                          http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html
                          Cicak Magnet

Comment

Also you will find lots of information here
                            http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...+catatan+sipil
                            Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by zsaaaa View Post
                              Thanks for all the replys.
                              They will do the religious wedding ceremony as planned, and once they have all the proper paperwork they will register the marriage at the catatan sipil.
                              For the ceremony they dont need any papers.
                              Anyone know from experience what documents the catatan sipil needs?
                              If they dont need any papers for the religious ceremony then it also cannot be registered. Here you cannot have just a civil wedding. You must produce papers that you were married in a religious ceremony. If no letter of no impediment, then the religious ceremony is not recognized. Also dont forget the prenup.

But if you think it will be OK, just go for it, but be prepared to have problems later.

I was also under the impression that you had to be in the country for 21 days before you can get married
                              [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X