Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues registering overseas wedding in Indonesia

Hi all,

I recently wed overseas in the UK to an Indonesian and we have returned to Indonesia. I live and work here and we want to register the marriage with the Catatan Sipil. After sitting waiting with a broken queuing system at the Catatan Sipil we finally got told (by a rather unpleasant woman I might add) that we need a number of documents. I can provide all except for one of them. The Lapor KBRI is the one we don't have.

As the wedding was in Scotland, we did not make the costly trip to London to the Indonesian Embassy and we returned to Indonesia without my wife registering at the embassy. She does however, have a stamp in her passport showing that she did enter the UK prior to the marriage date.

I read elsewhere that we could go to a local court and have the document legalised. Is this correct or is there some other way we can get this marriage registered?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Dave...

(from http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html) :
    [.. Indonesian citizens who have married abroad (outside Indonesia) are obligated to register with an appropriate Indonesian government consular office (consulate or embassy) in the country where the marriage took place, in order to report this marriage officially to the Indonesian government.

A report must also be made to the appropriate government authority in your hometown in Indonesia in order to assure that your marriage is legal under Indonesian law. If you are Muslim, you report your overseas marriage to the Kantor Urusan Agama (KUA) in Indonesia, if you are from another religion, you report to the Catatan Sipil in the hometown of the Indonesian spouse. Without reporting in this way, you are not considered married by the Indonesian government! This should be done, at the latest, 30 days after the Indonesian citizen returns to Indonesia. The fine for a late registration is of a maximum of IDR 1.000.000 and is further regulated by regional regulations...]

Comment

Thanks Marcus,

I was reading about this today and looks like I have a big issue as I didn't do this step!

The costs to get to London from where I got married was stupidly expensive.

Comment

It will cost a whole lot more to get back to London from here....
        Cicak Magnet

Comment

Originally posted by v8dave View Post
          I was reading about this today and looks like I have a big issue as I didn't do this step! ...
          I would check if the Indonesian Embassy in UK could do this if you send the documents by mail/courier , like many Indonesian Embassies do the Visa process .
          Last edited by marcus; 17-06-13, 10:40.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
            (from http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html) :
            [.. Indonesian citizens who have married abroad (outside Indonesia) are obligated to register with an appropriate Indonesian government consular office (consulate or embassy) in the country where the marriage took place, in order to report this marriage officially to the Indonesian government.

A report must also be made to the appropriate government authority in your hometown in Indonesia in order to assure that your marriage is legal under Indonesian law. If you are Muslim, you report your overseas marriage to the Kantor Urusan Agama (KUA) in Indonesia, if you are from another religion, you report to the Catatan Sipil in the hometown of the Indonesian spouse. Without reporting in this way, you are not considered married by the Indonesian government! This should be done, at the latest, 30 days after the Indonesian citizen returns to Indonesia. The fine for a late registration is of a maximum of IDR 1.000.000 and is further regulated by regional regulations...]

we got married in singapore but i didnt report my marriage to the embassy, as we're not really clear about the rules. we came back to indonesia, a few months later then asked biro jasa to help reporting our marriage to catatan sipil. within a week i think, we got the surat bukti lapor perkawinan.
            i wonder whether the op successfully register his marriage. i hope so.

Comment

Originally posted by pursemama View Post
              we got married in singapore but i didnt report my marriage to the embassy ..., we got the surat bukti lapor perkawinan.

You got it but you may never know if the document is false or if it was properly registered , as you didn't follow the Law (see below) .

--------------------

UNDANG-UNDANG REPUBLIK INDONESIANOMOR 23 TAHUN 2006
              TENTANG ADMINISTRASI KEPENDUDUKAN

Bagian Ketiga
              Pencatatan Perkawinan
              Paragraf 1

Paragraf 2
              Pencatatan Perkawinan di luar Wilayah Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia

Pasal 37
              (1)Perkawinan Warga Negara Indonesia di luar wilayah Negara Kesatuan Republik Indonesia wajib dicatatkan pada instansi yang berwenang di negara setempat dan dilaporkan pada Perwakilan Republik Indonesia
              (4) Pencatatan perkawinan sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) dan ayat (2) dilaporkan oleh yang bersangkutan kepada Instansi Pelaksana di tempat tinggalnya paling lambat 30 (tiga puluh) hari sejak yang bersangkutan kernbali ke Indonesia.

(non-official translation)
              paragraph 2
              Registration of Marriage outside of Indonesia

Article 37
              (1) Marriage of Indonesian citizens outside of the Republic of Indonesia shall be recorded at the competent authority of the country concerned and reported to the Representative of the Republic of Indonesia.
              (4) Registration of marriage as referred to in paragraph (1) and paragraph (2) must be reported to the Executing Agency concerned to the place of residence within 30 (thirty) days after the concerned returns to Indonesia.
              Last edited by marcus; 03-05-14, 12:38.

Comment

You got it but you may never know if the document is false or if it was properly registered , as you didn't follow the Law
                Though I haven't seen the said document I would be very surprised that it is not a genuine one. Agents have this aptitude to decipher the unsaid words from civil servants in order to have documents issued even if the legal procedure isn't followed or required documents missing. This is one of the (numerous) reasons why I am not really fond of agents. Many do no good to Indonesia.

Comment

You got it but you may never know if the document is false or if it was properly registered , as you didn't follow the Law (see below) .
                  Never thought of it would be fake, i guess i would have to check with the catatan sipil.
                  But being indonesian, i rather use an agent for many reasons. It can save time going down there myself, keep me from traffic, and most important is to avoid dealing with the officers. Every officer has their own opinion and way of "milking the cow". I think many can relate to this.
                  Does this mean i have to go back to indonesian embassy in singapore to report the marriage? Anyone knows?
                  Last edited by pursemama; 03-05-14, 20:35. Reason: Adding question

Comment

I don't know about Singapore. My wife and I were married in 1997 in New York. My boss at the time (American with Indonesian wife) told me about the registration requirement. However, if I recall correctly, we got the marriage license (in NY it's actually a permit to get married, issued before the actual ceremony with a validity of a couple weeks) on a Friday and had a civil ceremony on Sunday. No time to bring it to the KJRI in NY before honeymoon. We went to the one in SF and they said they were not "permitted" to register a marriage outside their jurisdiction. So, my father ended up mailing the license to the NY consulate, who put their "cap" on it.

You should be able to do it remotely via snail mail with a simple cover letter. It's a familiar process to a consulate, not an earth-shattering decision, not something that involves financial risk.

Comment

Originally posted by pursemama View Post
                      ... Does this mean i have to go back to indonesian embassy in singapore to report the marriage? Anyone knows?

This is what I would do :
                      I would do the marriage registration at the Indonesian Embassy in Singapore when , for some other reasons , I had to go to Singapore , unless there is a problem with the Catatan Sipil's document that requires to do it urgently .

Comment

thanks guys. i'll go to indo embassy when we go to singapore. better be safe

Comment

I have big issues about tis matter. I already been married more then 10 years in Malaysia but still not yet registered my marriage to indonesian embassy or in indonesia catatan sipil. My indonesian husband never told me about this until i recently found out about this very useful forum. I need to know what documents and how much the fees we should paid for late registration marriage. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by mantee2015 View Post
                            (1) ... I need to know what documents and

(2) how much the fees we should paid for late registration marriage.
                            Thank you.

(1) As I said in the other post , you can check the Embassy's website and ask your Catatan Sipil in the Indonesian city where you live now (if the case) .

(2) I think there is no fine for late registration at the Embassy .

There is a fine for late registration at the Catatan Sipil . Note that the required time limit for registration starts counting from the date you moved to Indonesia .

----------------------

Just as an example , this is what was needed at the Embassy in Bangkok :

• KTP asli beserta fotocopynya
                            • Paspor asli beserta fotocopynya
                            • Surat Keterangan Status Nikah dari Kelurahan di Indonesia
                            • Fotokopi identitas calon suami/isteri
                            • Akta Cerai asli dan fotocopnya (bagi duda/janda cerai)
                            • Akta Kematian mantan suami/isteri (bagi duda/janda)
                            • Surat Izin Orang Tua yang disahkan oleh Kelurahan (bagi yang berumur kurang dari 20 tahun)
                            • Biaya sebesar 20 US Dollar (dibayarkan dalam US dollar saja)
                            • Waktu Permohonan Surat pukul 09.00 – 11.45 setiap hari kerja. Surat tersebut dapat diambil pada hari kerja berikutnya pukul 14.00 – 15.30
                            • Yang bersangkutan harus datang ke KBRI (tidak dapat diwakilkan)
                            Last edited by marcus; 24-02-15, 08:28.

Comment

The regulation has changed to UU No.24 Tahun 2013 now, but unlike the previous UU No.23 Tahun 2006, this new regulation do not mention anything about the maximum/latest time to register an overseas marriage to a local kantor catatan sipil. So will then we need to refer to UU No.1 Tahun 1974 for that?

I have just got legally married under Australian law on February, back to Indo since 1st of March and my marriage certificate has just been issued on the 17th of March. So of course i haven't register to Indo Consulate in Sydney and i don't have the certificate with me at the moment. I will be returning to Australia early this April and don't have plan to return to Indo anytime soon.

Another issue is that me and my husband are muslim, did the nikah but as for our wedding in Australia, we had a family friend as our celebrant who wedded us and he is from adventist church (and it is stated in our marriage certifificate). So...do i go to KUA or Catatan Sipil if i someday think of registering our marriage here?

Anyway...i kind of lose interest to do the registration just to think of how many nasty officers i'll see throughout the process
                              Will there be any disadvantages from not registering marriage to Indo office/govt. if me n husband don't have plan to reside in Indo anyway?
                              [COLOR=#ffa07a]Aim for the highest cloud so that if you miss it, you will hit a lofty mountain [/COLOR]- [COLOR=#008000]Maori proverb[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X