Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marry indonesian girl

I went to batam for work, during my time there i met a nice girl
    i fell in love with her and because my marriage is not good anymore with my current wife im thinking of moving

here is the problem, i live and got married in colombia, iam from belgium and never registered the marriage over there.

can i just go to indonesia and request documents from the belgian embassy to get married there ?
    and do the divorce later in colombia ?

if you get married in Indonesia you have to be the same (official) religion as your wife. If she is a registered christian I guess it's ok. If she's a registered muslim you have to convert to islam. [see many threads on this issue]

probably you need a "certificate" from the Belgian embassy that you are not currently married. If you feel your colombian marriage was never valid then i guess you will get this no problem. If not, you have to divorce first, then show the divorce documents to the embassy.

Comment

Why do you assume he is Christian? Why do you assume that he is the one who will have to convert?

Comment

The fact you never legalized and registered your marriage in Belgium, does not mean it's not a valid marriage in that country. So marrying again without going through a divorce first will officially lead to bigamy.
        Last edited by jstar; 26-03-13, 14:24. Reason: Article 391 Belgian penal code: 5-10 years imprisonment
        [FONT=arial black]
        [/FONT]

Comment

However you look at it, if your already married, wherever in the world, you need to divorce first, assuming it was a legal marriage in Columbia. If not legal there then of course a different set of circumstances.

In order to marry here then you will need a letter of no impediment from your embassy.
          [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

If the letter of no impediment issued by Beligium is anything like the one issued by Uncle Sam, it won't work. The note from Uncle Sam is a sworn declaration in which you state, under penalty of perjury, that you are not married at the present time. Perjury carries fines and imprisonment sentences, in addition to the charge of bigamy.

Comment

You also have to swear under oath for the British embassy before they will issue the letter of no impediment.
              [COLOR=#ff0000]Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds[/COLOR]. Albert Einstein

Comment

The Belgian letter is based on information from the Civil Registry. You do declare (by signing) however, the information is up-to-date and accurate.

For the wedding in Columbia he normally needed to provide similar info btw (LNI etc.), and you can make up out of the final paragraphs he is well aware of the process, legal requirements and the loopholes.
                [FONT=arial black]
                [/FONT]

Comment

I'm confused. The old/present marriage is in Colombia or in the District of Columbia?

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
                    I'm confused. The old/present marriage is in Colombia or in the District of Columbia?
                    Colombia the country

Comment

For her own sake, I hope the girl in Batam is following this thread. And the Colombian wife, as well.

Comment

I never saw this...
                        "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

Originally posted by redsnapr View Post
                          I never saw this...
                          The girl in batam knows, the wife in colombia doesnt but then she probably dont care like the last 2 years
                          she doesnt care

Comment

As you are probably already aware, Colombian law is very protective of women's rights. If you live with somebody for more than about 2 years (not sure about the length of time) under the same roof, you are considered to be married under common law and partners have the same rights AND responsibilities as married couples. The way and if the law is always applied in Colombia is another issue, but if your current (Colombian) wife decides to pursue action against you due to bigamy, you could get into serious legal and financial trouble, even if the Belgium authorities have not been notified of your marriage in Colombia. They will be notified then...

I just hope there are no children involved.
                            "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

You know what is the right thing to do both legally and morally.

Get a divorce, man up to whatever you have to in Columbia, then get married here.

Why the rush to marry here, if the girl knows your situation, then she will wait for all the legal process to be cleared up.

Comment

Working...
                              X