Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Muslim marrying Indonesian Muslim Woman

Hi All,

Just a quick introduction, We have been in a relationship for 2 years and I have been to see her 3 times already, we got engaged 8 months ago or so and only recently in December I was there to arrange our wedding - we set a date for 30th of June, we have found wedding organisers and paid them and arranging all the stuff for the wedding day.

I just need some more insight into what is required for me to marry her, the stuff I know so far are the following but I just need to ensure that I don't miss anything out and I don't leave it too late.

CNI
    Police Certificate
    Passport
    Bank Statements
    Birth Certificate
    Guardian Letter
    A letter from my complex head? (I don't know how this works for me in the UK)

On top of all that I need to get them legalised and translated into Indonesian by someone under oath. I don't even know where to start to get something like that arranged.

I guess I'm hoping to find someone on here that has been through all that already that can help me a little in which direction to go to get these things done.

Thanks for reading.

I think it depends on the KUA that will oversee your marraige. I only needed the Letter of No Impediment, copy of my birth cert., and my passport. No police or bank statements or guardian letter, or complex head letter, whatever that is. Have your fiancee go to the KUA with her dad or someone that is well respected in the community and ask what they will require. Others may counsel against it but IMO whatever you can do to have a good relationship with the KUA will make things that much easier.

And don't forget a prenup if you have any intention at all of ever buying land in Indonesia, or if she already owns land, or may inherit land.
    "My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine.

Comment

This might give some more info:

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...erwork-amp-fee
      [COLOR=#333333]
      It does seem that different KUA's (Kantor Urusan Agama) might have different requirements...[/COLOR]
      [FONT=arial black]
      [/FONT]

Comment

best bet go to Denmark it takes 2 days to marry legally, and will be accepted world wide...

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
          I think it depends on the KUA that will oversee your marraige. I only needed the Letter of No Impediment, copy of my birth cert., and my passport. No police or bank statements or guardian letter, or complex head letter, whatever that is. Have your fiancee go to the KUA with her dad or someone that is well respected in the community and ask what they will require. Others may counsel against it but IMO whatever you can do to have a good relationship with the KUA will make things that much easier.

And don't forget a prenup if you have any intention at all of ever buying land in Indonesia, or if she already owns land, or may inherit land.
          I fully agree with James, I also only needed those, nothing translated or legalized. But each KUA is different, so better ask them.

If you want to get the marriage legalized by the ministry of religion, which is necessary in most cased to get is registered abroad e.g. UK, the rules are more strict. There, I needed to present the passport, LNI and the legalized and translated birth certificate, but also no police, bank or such papers.

In order to get the birth certificate officially translated, the UK, US, Austrlian and any other embassy in Jakarta from a native English speaking country have lists of sworn translators, either on their website or simply call and ask. Better do it in Indonesia, I found the translators in Europe had outrageous prices.

to get the birth certificate legalized, you need to take it to the UK authority for that, usually ministry of foreign affairs or passport office, then to the Indonesian Embassy in the UK.

Comment

Gee85, a crucial question is if you want to spend the rest of your life with your in Indonesia, or if you have any plans to live together in the UK or any other country. Or if you plan to stay in Indonesia but remain registered in the UK and take the tax benefits of being married to a wife that earns less than you or nothing.

Whereas the KUA is rather easy to deal with, the legalization process of an Indonesian marriage for most countries is really complex. This is due the international mutual recognition of marriage. Where some countries like US seems to be happy with just an Indonesian marriage book, others will not accept it.

I have gone through this nightmare and can share the process if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by happybunny1978 View Post
              I fully agree with James, I also only needed those, nothing translated or legalized. But each KUA is different, so better ask them.

If you want to get the marriage legalized by the ministry of religion, which is necessary in most cased to get is registered abroad e.g. UK, the rules are more strict. There, I needed to present the passport, LNI and the legalized and translated birth certificate, but also no police, bank or such papers.

In order to get the birth certificate officially translated, the UK, US, Austrlian and any other embassy in Jakarta from a native English speaking country have lists of sworn translators, either on their website or simply call and ask. Better do it in Indonesia, I found the translators in Europe had outrageous prices.

to get the birth certificate legalized, you need to take it to the UK authority for that, usually ministry of foreign affairs or passport office, then to the Indonesian Embassy in the UK.
              I think I will get the police certificate regardless, I have the forms and just need to fill them out, the guardian letter also - I know how to get some of the stuff legalized also, my biggest concern is the translation by someone sworn in. You say it's better to do it in Indonesia but how long roughly would it take to get the documents translated, also how long does it take to get them approved by the British embassy in Jakarta - I'm planning to fly there 10 days before my wedding and just want to make sure that's plenty of time to prepare everything needed for the wedding.

Also do I need to send those documents over before the wedding day, I was told to have all those sent to the KUA asap but I thought this would need to be done a lot closer to the wedding day?

We are planning to live in the UK after the marriage, I was reading that it's possible for her to get a spouse visiting visa so that she can come back with me and then change that to a spouse visa once were there, anyone been through this process? I read that it's not too hard to make the Indonesian marriage to be official back in the UK, but this is from reading only and didn't read from any ones personal experience.

Thank you for the responses, this has made me much more calmer!

Comment

"my biggest concern is the translation by someone sworn in. You say it's better to do it in Indonesia but how long roughly would it take to get the documents translated"

You can get a list of UK based sworn translators for English - Indonesian from the Indonesian Embassy in London. It might be easier and quicker to deal with them locally if you are OK to pay their prices.

"also how long does it take to get them approved by the British embassy in Jakarta"

I don't understand. I don't see why or what you need to get approved by them. Before the marriage, you only need them to give you the LNI, and all they should need for that is your passport. After the marriage, for the legalization, you need a bunch of paperwork from Indonesian authorities.

"Also do I need to send those documents over before the wedding day, I was told to have all those sent to the KUA asap but I thought this would need to be done a lot closer to the wedding day?"

Depending on the KUA, there is mandatory waiting period of X days between the application (including all required documents) and the marriage. In my case it was 10 days. So again, better check these things with the KUA first, and if you have to be physically there for the application or if your wife can do the paperwork alone (would surprise me though...) 10 days sounds a bit tight.

"I read that it's not too hard to make the Indonesian marriage to be official back in the UK"

You need to get confirmation, ideally a written statement, that the UK authorities accept an Indonesian marriage book. I would be very surprised though. For legalization, after the marriage you need to:

- Go to the Ministry of Religious Affairs in Jakarta, armed with your Husband Marriage book, Passport, LNI and the translated & legalized birth certificate. Plus some petty cash. Best, take your wife along as well. They will officialize / legalize the marriage book.
                - Take the whole stuff to the Ministry of Law and Human Rights in Jakarta, legalization
                - Take that whole stuff to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Jakarta, legalization

- Get that whole stuff translated to english by a sworn translator.

Then start all over again with all previous stuff plus the translation:

- Take the whole stuff to the Ministry of Law and Human Right in Jakarta, legalization of translation
                - Take that whole stuff to the Ministry of Foreign affairs in Jakarta, legalization of translation

You will by then have accumulated a larger pile of papers and a marriage book extend by the whole legalizations. All of that needs to go to your embassy in Jakarta.

That's where it get's disappointing, they will give you one single piece of paper that they acknowledge your marriage, but this is the one your official guys back home want to see to accept your marriage.

Comment

Working...
                X