American-Indonesian Marriage : Legally registered vs Getting Married Abroad

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by afruna81 View Post
    So KUA can issue the letter of conversion?

In my case, they issued a diploma-like certificate of conversion.
    "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

... I never seen any LNI before, but i assume it is nothing like most govt docs in here: documents with "stempel basah" (official stamp with ink). ....

The link is not working for me right now, but you may be able to see there is some general info here, including a pdf downloadable form of the LNI that your fiancé should bring with him when visiting the Embassy. No need to translate it; it is a bilingual document.

‎jakarta.usembassy.gov/marriage.html

And, yes, he should bring his notarized copy of the final judgement of dissolution of marriage if he was previously married.
      Last edited by redsnapr; 04-03-13, 21:51.
      "Science is the philosophy of discovery. Intelligent design is a philosophy of ignorance"

Comment

Originally posted by james View Post
        I found the marriage (American to Indonesian) done in Indonesia to be very easy (assuming your fiance doesn't have an issue with converting).

1. We did a pre-nup and had a notaris stamp it or whatever;
        2. I went to the US embassy in JKT and signed the affidavit of no impediment and they notarized it;
        3. We went to KUA and I did the conversion (took 5 mins and cost maybe 10,000rp);
        4. Scheduled the marriage date and arranged that KUA would come do it.
        5. My wife and her family arranged the reception, photographer, blah, blah, blah.
        I do too. I'm Indonesian married to American few years back and the process was quite easy just like the list above. It's just like any other Indonesian to Indonesian marriage except that he needs to get a conversion letter (can be from KUA or from a Islamic yayasan). Try it and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by marcus View Post
          I think each KUA may have different treatment in relation to foreign documents .
          In my case , the only 2 foreign documents I submitted were : the "free to marry" notarized statement (from my country) already sworn translated to English and an original identity card (similar to a KTP) in my country's language (not English) . KUA asked a sworn translator to translate (English to Indonesian) the first document and accepted the id card as it was , without any translation . No notary was involved in the two translations of the "free to marry" notarized statement .
          It seems the KUAs are a para-legal entity with the freedom to do what they want. In my case, KUA Bogor Timur, they were not interested in any documents except the 3 million rupiah notes. They only took my LNI and birth certificate, nothing notarized or translated, for the later processing of legalization at the ministry, but I almost had to beg them to take it. They even first refused to acknowledge my prenup, it took a lot of convincing, they said that marriage is only ruled by Shariah and no contract or such is acceptable. In terms of conversion to Islam, they simply took my word that of course I am Muslim, although I had carefully prepared a conversion letter issued by the holy authority of Microsoft Word, which they also added to the file later after some additional begging.

i must say though that I was over prepared, the KBRI in Brussels had given me a bunch of wrong information, I had everything from birth certificate to even a police certificate of good conduct, legalized and translated. They even told me I had to have a Sosbud visa to get married, total rubbish as I found out later as a VOA is perfectly ok.

if I can give 1 useful advice, just ask the KUA first what they want, that will save a lot of unnecessary work or bad surprises.

in terms of prenup, choose your notary carefully. I ended up in a notary with plenty of Christian crosses hanging in the office, they did a good job re-typing the prenup I had already prepared on a 1970s typewriter, but with no experience on how to handle it for a Muslim marriage.

Comment

...and they wonder why they have a PR problem. And they claim that nefarious outside forces are bent on discrediting them. You do know that the Ministry of Religious Affairs is among the most corrupt here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
              ...and they wonder why they have a PR problem. And they claim that nefarious outside forces are bent on discrediting them. You do know that the Ministry of Religious Affairs is among the most corrupt here.
              I can't say anything against the ministry, I went there myself to do the legalization, was prepared for bribing and all sorts of things, but it was very smooth and no issues whatsoever. It's the KUA that I am really p$&$ed off about, totally corrupt and useless.

Comment

Originally posted by happybunny1978 View Post
                It seems the KUAs are a para-legal entity with the freedom to do what they want. In my case, KUA Bogor Timur, they were not interested in any documents except the 3 million rupiah notes. They only took my LNI and birth certificate, nothing notarized or translated, for the later processing of legalization at the ministry, but I almost had to beg them to take it. They even first refused to acknowledge my prenup, it took a lot of convincing, they said that marriage is only ruled by Shariah and no contract or such is acceptable. In terms of conversion to Islam, they simply took my word that of course I am Muslim, although I had carefully prepared a conversion letter issued by the holy authority of Microsoft Word, which they also added to the file later after some additional begging.
                ..and they call themselves as Kantor Urusan AGAMA.. :-)

i must say though that I was over prepared, the KBRI in Brussels had given me a bunch of wrong information, I had everything from birth certificate to even a police certificate of good conduct, legalized and translated.
                so the police certificate might not really that necessary, ya?

if I can give 1 useful advice, just ask the KUA first what they want, that will save a lot of unnecessary work or bad surprises.
                I agree, i need to ask the KUA office where we will get married about the procedure there. Now i got the sense it's all custom made.

Thanks, Happybunny ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ibukyu View Post
                  I do too. I'm Indonesian married to American few years back and the process was quite easy just like the list above. It's just like any other Indonesian to Indonesian marriage except that he needs to get a conversion letter (can be from KUA or from a Islamic yayasan). Try it and good luck.
                  the so not "easy" part is probably that N1, N2, N3, N4 thingy ya, and also the sleazy bureaucracy in KUA. I seriously need an "inside man" there...

Comment

At KUA, more like an inside imam.

Comment

Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
                      At KUA, more like an inside imam.
                      haha.. not so quite like one.. imam is supposed to be the leader (in good things)...but well..

Comment

afruna81 --> I am happy you got the message :-)

KUAs are full of sh&%&t on both the giving and receiving end.

I mean, they gladly accepted my certificate of converison to Islam from Microsoft... that should make any additional comments redundant :-)

Most and foremost, keep them in the background and enjoy your marriage, they are only bureaucracy, your marrige is for life!

Comment

Most and foremost, keep them in the background and enjoy your marriage, they are only bureaucracy, your marrige is for life!
                          True! ;-) So much of paper works to legally multiply, ya.. :-)

Comment

I can't say anything against the ministry, I went there myself to do the legalization, was prepared for bribing and all sorts of things, but it was very smooth and no issues whatsoever. It's the KUA that I am really p$&$ed off about, totally corrupt and useless.
                            They are so awash in Haj cash that they probably don't have time to mess with the small stuff.

Comment

True! ;-) So much of paper works to legally multiply, ya.. :-)
                              In Indonesia it is not illegal to "multiply" without marriage! But the neighbors will not like it :-)

enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X