X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanInAceh
    replied
    Originally posted by jim69 View Post
    So from what i read in your post, you are in favor of female circumcision? It has to be one of the most barbaric practices. Illegal in many countries.
    I'm on vacation from religious controversy and this thread is about helping dudes figure out their marital responsibilities. If you want to start yet another female circumcision thread, be my guest. For the record, the tradition of jurisprudence that I was taught was the Hanafi madhab rather than Shafi'i. If you read the earliest posts here, you can see that I'm not in favor of circumcision for my own children.

However, I have spoken at length about this issue in other threads on this forum.
    Last edited by DanInAceh; 02-04-13, 19:05. Reason: Clarifying RELGIOUS controversy

Leave a comment:

• jim69
    replied
    Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
    A few things. First, what is meant by "fitrah" in this sense. It generally implies something that is fundamental or natural or basic or innate. In this sense it means "natural hygiene." These are recommended activities for keeping yourself healthy. Notice that they are not obligatory in this context. Keep in mind also that there are other ahadith similar to this that recommend up to ten activities. There's plenty of other do's and don'ts.

Performing these activities is a means to emulate Muhammad (sallahu aleyhi wa sellam) and the companions. They are Sunnah, and that's what Sunnah means, to emulate or imitate the ways of Muhammad (sallahu aleyhi wa sellam). That's why we are called "Sunni."

It is highly highly recommended to perform these acts, but it is not obligatory. Also, these apply to both men and women. Both should make an effort to shave pubic hair, under the armpits etc.

So, the natural question is "why do the Shafi'i jurists believe circumcision is mandatory?" It's because they have a manual for jurisprudence known as "The Reliance of the Traveler." In it, it is recommended that men and women be circumcised. Almost all Indonesians are of this tradition, same as people in Somalia as an example.

So from what i read in your post, you are in favor of female circumcision? It has to be one of the most barbaric practices. Illegal in many countries.

Leave a comment:

• waarmstrong
    replied
    Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
    Seeing the destitution, violence, corruption, oppression, ignorance and squalor that visits the lands where these discussions are deemed pertinent, you'd think they'd have bigger fish to fry. You'd think discussions would be solely about things that actually matter. Talk about losing sight of the ball.
    If it is decided to do the deed, I hope the cutter does not loose sight of the ball. I slip in that direction could be doubly painful and dis functional.

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• DanInAceh
    replied
    Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
    OK, not obligatory but are they highly recommended here? I understand women (hopefully) are not required to trim their mustache but, have these recommendations been upgraded to more modern technics? Waxing or shaving instead of plucking. Do you pluck your underarm hairs? That would be more an act of self inflicted pain then hygiene.

Are there 10 total or an additional 10 to the above list? Care to share what they may be and the importance of each in regards to local teachings. I read where Mohammad was born without foreskin so that could be taken as either to remove it or since he wasn't circumcised others do not need to be as well.
    Up to ten. The jurists generally agree that you may shave instead of pluck.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR][SIZE=1][FONT=arial]Narrated Aisha[ra], The Rasulullah Sallallaahu alayhi Wasallam said: “Ten things are part of the fitrah: cutting the moustache, letting the beard grow, cleaning the teeth with a miswaak, rinsing the nose with water, cutting one’s nails, washing between the finger-joints, plucking the armpit hairs, shaving the pubic hair and... cleaning one’s private parts with water.” [/FONT][/SIZE]

It is uncertain whether or not Rasulullah was circumcised in a ritual by one of his relatives or if he was born without a foreskin. What we do know is that he instructed converts to get it done if they are able to.

It's highly recommended, as I said, but I think it's a very personal choice. You won't go to hell if you don't do it.

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    A few things. First, what is meant by "fitrah" in this sense. It generally implies something that is fundamental or natural or basic or innate. In this sense it means "natural hygiene." These are recommended activities for keeping yourself healthy. Notice that they are not obligatory in this context. Keep in mind also that there are other ahadith similar to this that recommend up to ten activities. There's plenty of other do's and don'ts.

Performing these activities is a means to emulate Muhammad (sallahu aleyhi wa sellam) and the companions. They are Sunnah, and that's what Sunnah means, to emulate or imitate the ways of Muhammad (sallahu aleyhi wa sellam). That's why we are called "Sunni."

It is highly highly recommended to perform these acts, but it is not obligatory. Also, these apply to both men and women. Both should make an effort to shave pubic hair, under the armpits etc.

So, the natural question is "why do the Shafi'i jurists believe circumcision is mandatory?" It's because they have a manual for jurisprudence known as "The Reliance of the Traveler." In it, it is recommended that men and women be circumcised. Almost all Indonesians are of this tradition, same as people in Somalia as an example.
    OK, not obligatory but are they highly recommended here? I understand women (hopefully) are not required to trim their mustache but, have these recommendations been upgraded to more modern technics? Waxing or shaving instead of plucking. Do you pluck your underarm hairs? That would be more an act of self inflicted pain then hygiene.

Are there 10 total or an additional 10 to the above list? Care to share what they may be and the importance of each in regards to local teachings. I read where Mohammad was born without foreskin so that could be taken as either to remove it or since he wasn't circumcised others do not need to be as well.

Leave a comment:

• DanInAceh
    replied
    Originally posted by Hombre de Maiz View Post
    Seeing the destitution, violence, corruption, oppression, ignorance and squalor that visits the lands where these discussions are deemed pertinent, you'd think they'd have bigger fish to fry. You'd think discussions would be solely about things that actually matter. Talk about losing sight of the ball.
    Welp. This is the marriage thread. I'm just going to discuss why or why not someone should consider getting snipped for purposes of marriage in Islam. Heck, I probably shouldn't even be doing that much.

We can talk about all of that stuff another time. My ass is on vacation.

Leave a comment:

• Hombre de Maiz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanInAceh
    replied
    Dan, explain this if you would,

from Wikipedia: Abu Hurayra a companion of the Prophet quotes him saying, "Five things are fitrah: circumcision, shaving pubic hair with a razor, trimming the moustache, paring one's nails and plucking the hair from one's armpits" (reported in the hadiths of Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim). So, despite its absence from the Qur'an, it has been a religious norm from the beginning of Islam.

other Fitrahs do not include circumcision. Are the five things listed above rules for everyone? Has anything changed and is now more acceptable like using a razor under arm instead of plucking or how about waxing instead of pubic hair with a razor? Is this for both men and women?

Leave a comment:

• Rins_soe
    replied
    I swore off speaking about religion here... but I'll do so briefly to clear up this common misconception. The Shafi'i jurists claim that circumcision is wajib for both boys and girls. Most other jurists feel that it is Sunnah, but you don't HAVE to do it. Most people do it anyway.
    Thanks for the explanation... But lucky circumcision is more common to boys and never heard any girls i know having it.

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    Dan, explain this if you would,

from Wikipedia: Abu Hurayra a companion of the Prophet quotes him saying, "Five things are fitrah: circumcision, shaving pubic hair with a razor, trimming the moustache, paring one's nails and plucking the hair from one's armpits" (reported in the hadiths of Sahih al-Bukhari and Sahih Muslim). So, despite its absence from the Qur'an, it has been a religious norm from the beginning of Islam.

other Fitrahs do not include circumcision. Are the five things listed above rules for everyone? Has anything changed and is now more acceptable like using a razor under arm instead of plucking or how about waxing instead of pubic hair with a razor? Is this for both men and women?

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    Wife says no sharp objects allowed in that area. No discussion.

Leave a comment:

• DanInAceh
    replied
    My wife and her four sisters and one brother were all spared any cutting during there early years. Mother was Muslim, Father was Hindu. Mother told them all to wait. In school they never participated in any Islamic studies and were normally told to either wait outside or return home early if it was the last class of the day.

Bother was oldest and first one married. A non Muslim. That marriage ended in divorce after 15 years. My wife's infamous sister we had spoken of here who was now a full blown Muslim due to her marriage to the local Muslim big shot arranged for him to marry her husbands sister who lived with her and handled all domestic duties. The brother was told there was no choice, he must convert and so he must get clipped. He has regretted this since the day it was done. What we are up to with this sister is her trickery with-in the word of Islam. No trick is beneath her to get people to convert.
    It is true that he must convert to marry a Muslim woman. They didn't make that one up. Getting cut is highly highly recommended.

When people here ask this question, and they often do, I usually direct them to speak with an 'alim (ulema is the plural, in Indonesia we just say ulema) about an opinion (fatwa) on getting snipped.

Leave a comment:

• fastpitch17
    replied
    My wife and her four sisters and one brother were all spared any cutting during there early years. Mother was Muslim, Father was Hindu. Mother told them all to wait. In school they never participated in any Islamic studies and were normally told to either wait outside or return home early if it was the last class of the day.

Bother was oldest and first one married. A non Muslim. That marriage ended in divorce after 15 years. My wife's infamous sister we had spoken of here who was now a full blown Muslim due to her marriage to the local Muslim big shot arranged for him to marry her husbands sister who lived with her and handled all domestic duties. The brother was told there was no choice, he must convert and so he must get clipped. He has regretted this since the day it was done. What we are up to with this sister is her trickery with-in the word of Islam. No trick is beneath her to get people to convert.

Leave a comment:

• Hombre de Maiz
    replied
    Yes, most people do it anyway out of rote, unthinking repetition and out of social and religious pressure.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X