Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting to Islam and marriage.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    i dont understand why you care too much to convert your faith to Islam. If you don't like the idea of doing that-why not getting married overseas (hint your home country) so you won't feed thousands of strangers in the wedding reception

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Ross1 View Post
      (1) .. they want me to convert to Islam in Sorong with a religious man they know and then a few months later we get married in Java. But so many people on here say I can convert with the KUA before the wedding in a very easy way.

      I'm not too bothered how we do it, but it just seems like we are making it difficult for ourselves.

      Please can someone suggest a plan of action for me because I'm really quite confused.

      (2) Also when I convert I must make sure I get a certificate to say I'm a muslim right?

      (3) Anymore info would be great. Thanks.

      (1) Don't be surprised to hear different ways of doing things in Indonesia . It is good as you can choose which way to do .
      I did convert in a small mosque near my father-in-law's house , and it was very very simple/easy .

      http://www.expat.or.id/info/conversiontoislam.html

      (2) I did get one , but I don't know if it is always like that . Anyway , everything is relatively easy in Indonesia .

      (3) Other references :

      http://www.expat.or.id/info/gettingm...indonesia.html
      http://www.expat.or.id/info/mixmarriages.html
      http://www.expat.or.id/info/familylaw.html
      http://www.expat.or.id/info/marriage...lications.html
      http://www.expat.or.id/info/prenuptialagreement.html

      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...665#post127665 (how to marry at KUA)

      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...erwork-amp-fee (KUA , sometimes no need to legalize required documents)

      http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...ghlight=prenup (Atlantis' post no.24 , prenup's court register)
      Last edited by marcus; 20-03-13, 09:49.

      Comment


      • #18
        Personally this is one thing that i may say bothering me... Just a little bit. Convert to other religion for marriage is one thing that made me think: is it against the human right? But in the other hand we have to do it so we can be together as husband and wife.
        if religion is not very important then probably getting marry in another country is the best solution but sometimes hard for most indonesian especially for moslem as it might be mandatory, both for the religion itself and also for indonesian parents.

        well glad to know that some are willingly convert to other religion because love is above all. True, love is more important than religion (in my opinion)
        Me likey

        Comment


        • #19
          Some convert because for them pragmatism and reason trumps Semitic anachronisms. It's the 21st century, you know. The whole world is not crazy.

          Comment


          • #20
            As Hombre implied, just fake it without dwelling on other people's hang ups.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
              Since you were curious... Malas has the right idea. I'm an American and I was snipped as an infant for "hygiene".

              I am personally against circumcision of infants.

              I do know some people who got it done as converts and most seem to regret their choice.

              I'm surprised you're against infants being circumcised but if that's so, are you also against teens and pre-teens being circumcised? That is, what's the logic behind your statement. For example, it's mutilation if done to an infant but okay if done to a minor for religious reasons?
              "My country is the world, and my religion is to do good." -Thomas Paine.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by james View Post
                I'm surprised you're against infants being circumcised but if that's so, are you also against teens and pre-teens being circumcised? That is, what's the logic behind your statement. For example, it's mutilation if done to an infant but okay if done to a minor for religious reasons?
                I'm against infants being circumcised because I feel that the health claims behind the practice are largely dubious. If men are benefiting from it due to phimosis, ok, I can see that as being a medically necessary procedure. For the vast majority of men I feel it's simply cosmetic/religious. We have this thing called "hygiene" today.

                My feeling on circumcision is that adults should be able to opt for circumcision for themselves. For children, I'm not really a fan. I wouldn't push for legislation to end the practice, but I am uncomfortable with circumcising my own children.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                  I'm against infants being circumcised because I feel that the health claims behind the practice are largely dubious.

                  For children, I'm not really a fan. I wouldn't push for legislation to end the practice, but I am uncomfortable with circumcising my own children.
                  Agree, I also against infant's circumcision. But why here boys circumcised ... probably due to the religion, because they have to be circumcised before they are akil baligh... to make it easy, once they have wet dream means they have reached akil baligh.
                  So for those who have circumcision for religion matter, mostly they will have it on young age.
                  But for those who has it for 'hygiene' purpose then maybe the timing is slightly different
                  Me likey

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Rins_soe View Post
                    Agree, I also against infant's circumcision. But why here boys circumcised ... probably due to the religion, because they have to be circumcised before they are akil baligh... to make it easy, once they have wet dream means they have reached akil baligh.
                    So for those who have circumcision for religion matter, mostly they will have it on young age.
                    But for those who has it for 'hygiene' purpose then maybe the timing is slightly different
                    I swore off speaking about religion here... but I'll do so briefly to clear up this common misconception. The Shafi'i jurists claim that circumcision is wajib for both boys and girls. Most other jurists feel that it is Sunnah, but you don't HAVE to do it. Most people do it anyway.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                      I swore off speaking about religion here... but I'll do so briefly to clear up this common misconception. The Shafi'i jurists claim that circumcision is wajib for both boys and girls. Most other jurists feel that it is Sunnah, but you don't HAVE to do it. Most people do it anyway.
                      So, who trumps who?
                      [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                        So, who trumps who?
                        Neither? It's something that falls into a legal gray area among the Muslims. Almost everyone in Indonesia observes the tradition of the Shafi'i jurists, that's also why female circumcision is so common here. Many of them hold this opinion and many more of them may feel that this is somehow the "last word" in what is required. However, most other Muslims feel differently about this.

                        Everyone agrees that it is, at the very least, recommended. Only half of the jurists, Hanbali and Shafi'i, feel that it is obligatory.

                        Islam is a religion of preference in matters which are not absolutely, 100% clear.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Yes, most people do it anyway out of rote, unthinking repetition and out of social and religious pressure.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            My wife and her four sisters and one brother were all spared any cutting during there early years. Mother was Muslim, Father was Hindu. Mother told them all to wait. In school they never participated in any Islamic studies and were normally told to either wait outside or return home early if it was the last class of the day.

                            Bother was oldest and first one married. A non Muslim. That marriage ended in divorce after 15 years. My wife's infamous sister we had spoken of here who was now a full blown Muslim due to her marriage to the local Muslim big shot arranged for him to marry her husbands sister who lived with her and handled all domestic duties. The brother was told there was no choice, he must convert and so he must get clipped. He has regretted this since the day it was done. What we are up to with this sister is her trickery with-in the word of Islam. No trick is beneath her to get people to convert.
                            [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by fastpitch17 View Post
                              My wife and her four sisters and one brother were all spared any cutting during there early years. Mother was Muslim, Father was Hindu. Mother told them all to wait. In school they never participated in any Islamic studies and were normally told to either wait outside or return home early if it was the last class of the day.

                              Bother was oldest and first one married. A non Muslim. That marriage ended in divorce after 15 years. My wife's infamous sister we had spoken of here who was now a full blown Muslim due to her marriage to the local Muslim big shot arranged for him to marry her husbands sister who lived with her and handled all domestic duties. The brother was told there was no choice, he must convert and so he must get clipped. He has regretted this since the day it was done. What we are up to with this sister is her trickery with-in the word of Islam. No trick is beneath her to get people to convert.
                              It is true that he must convert to marry a Muslim woman. They didn't make that one up. Getting cut is highly highly recommended.

                              When people here ask this question, and they often do, I usually direct them to speak with an 'alim (ulema is the plural, in Indonesia we just say ulema) about an opinion (fatwa) on getting snipped.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Wife says no sharp objects allowed in that area. No discussion.
                                [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]Some love to milk Apostate.[/FONT][/COLOR]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X