Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting to Islam and marriage.

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend want to get married. We both live in Papua. She's Javanese and lives with her Mum/family in Sorong and I'm on an island working in tourism. We will marry in Java around May at her auntys house. I have done lots of research on this site for info and tips/experiences etc. My girlfriend and her Mum say they want me to convert to Islam in Sorong with a religious man they know and then a few months later we get married in Java. But so many people on here say I can convert with the KUA before the wedding in a very easy way.

I'm not too bothered how we do it, but it just seems like we are making it difficult for ourselves.

Please can someone suggest a plan of action for me because I'm really quite confused.

Also when I convert I must make sure I get a certificate to say I'm a muslim right?

Anymore info would be great. Thanks.

If its not big deal, why start off by hassling the matriarch of the family? Covert in Sorong as the family wishes.

Comment

Do you really want to become an islam? That's probably the first question. If yes, I don't see it particularly matters how you do it.

Comment

didnt we already cover this topic ???
        Check the threads.

Comment

It would be better to do it where her family wishes and it will be easy no matter where you do it. Conversion to Islam is simple, it requires intention and an honest recitation of the shahada, preferably in front of Muslim witnesses. My personal experience with the "documentation" was that none was required. This seems to be selectively enforced(I was never asked, but I'd been a Muslim for some years prior to my marriage), but I see no reason why an important person like a leader (imam) could not do this for you. If they're asking for a man in the village to do it, he is probably the most knowledgeable Muslim in their village and will act sufficiently for this document. He might even be an alim (ulema, scholar), you should ask about this.

AFAIK, the document is just something with salaam on it stating that you have accepted Islam. I don't think it's super important but perhaps atlantis or the forum resources can tell you if it needs to be notarized or something. Like I said, I was never asked and got my marriage books about three days later.

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
            it requires intention
            Does the intention to please the future mother-in-law count?
            "[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it.[/FONT][/COLOR]"
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Ross1 View Post
              Me and my girlfriend want to get married. We both live in Papua. She's Javanese and lives with her Mum/family in Sorong and I'm on an island working in tourism. We will marry in Java around May at her auntys house. I have done lots of research on this site for info and tips/experiences etc. My girlfriend and her Mum say they want me to convert to Islam in Sorong with a religious man they know and then a few months later we get married in Java. But so many people on here say I can convert with the KUA before the wedding in a very easy way.

I'm not too bothered how we do it, but it just seems like we are making it difficult for ourselves.

Please can someone suggest a plan of action for me because I'm really quite confused.
              As always, I think we may be missing the most important question. Are you circumcised? If not, they may be wanting to give you time to heal from the mutilation, er, blessed ceremony.
              Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
                As always, I think we may be missing the most important question. Are you circumcised? If not, they may be wanting to give you time to heal from the mutilation, er, blessed ceremony.
                some of my friends who converted still freaks out with the idea of circumcision ;D
                I was wondering if DanInAcheh did it or not, if he did, is it that scary?
                If people say something bad against you, don’t be offended. Remember: "A dog doesn’t bark if he knows the person!"

Comment

Originally posted by vin.vierge View Post

Why do you really want to know about it? The pain you want to know or something else? j/k
                  ~ Welcome to Indonesia! - Have a nice day ~

Comment

Originally posted by DanInAceh View Post
                    it requires intention and an honest recitation of the shahada, preferably in front of Muslim witnesses.
                    Or in lieu of intention and honest recitation of the shahada a small envelope with some cash for the KUA office, Muslim certificate issued to you the next day.

Comment

Americans tend to get circumcised whether Muslim or not. So I imagine Dan was even before he converted to Islam.

Comment

Originally posted by Malas View Post
                        Americans tend to get circumcised whether Muslim or not. So I imagine Dan was even before he converted to Islam.
                        Circumcision has gone down considerably. It's also highly dependent on the community. Very few of my Hispanic friends were 'cut'. Almost all of my Anglo friends were. If you're 40+, probably you are. If under 25, it's a tossup.
                        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by vin.vierge View Post
                          some of my friends who converted still freaks out with the idea of circumcision ;D
                          Since you were curious... Malas has the right idea. I'm an American and I was snipped as an infant for "hygiene".

I am personally against circumcision of infants.

I do know some people who got it done as converts and most seem to regret their choice.

Comment

worst case I've heard, theres a bleeding. in Indonesia, most boys circumcised in the age of 12 to 14 mostly, in the villages its even younger than that.
                            If people say something bad against you, don’t be offended. Remember: "A dog doesn’t bark if he knows the person!"

Comment

My dad took my husband to a mosque in Jakarta with an Imam friend of his, and had my husband 'converted' (he's already a muslim, but KUA requires the conversion certificate) in one day. I believe the certificate was issued the next day.
                              living to the fullest @

Comment

Working...
                              X