Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Indonesian wives change their last name after marriage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know where all this super expensive came from, as in my previous posts and experience my wife just told those concerned to add my surname into her new passport, the same with her ID card replacement after her original one was stolen, its on her driving licence and her BCA account has my surname, the only reason it was done was to keep British Immigration happy as they gave her quite a grilling on arrival as to why she didn't have my surname in her passport, and were we married, I had to step in and put the immigration official right, he was quite amazed to learn some Indonesians only have one name,it didn't cost anything extra and as far as I know she has never had to pay extra for anything, its never been commented on, she certainly didn't do it to show she was married to a bule,

A surname or another name helps when filling out computer applications in the UK,as it says all places marked with the little red asterisk have to be filled in, many Indonesians only have one name so I don't know how they get around that problem,
    Last edited by Anglian; 07-03-15, 09:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglian View Post
      Somebody isnt reading my answer, it is very easy and costs nothing to have your name printed into your wifes passport on the notices page, it cost nothing, when it comes to renew the passport, the passport office will automatically add the husbands surname...
      My wife and I have just found that's not necessarily the case. A couple of years ago, after I read similar statements on here, we had my wife's passport endorsed as you say. In the last month she just had her passport renewed and they used her birth name and did not even include the previous endorsement. I guess we're back to square one.
      Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

My FIL was born with a single name, but had been using two names for about 35 years. So his birth certificate had one name, but other documents had both. When we went to get his passport, they wouldn't accept the two name documents. It took 2-3 months, but going to court was pretty easy, and cost was 500-800k, I believe.
        Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
          My FIL was born with a single name, but had been using two names for about 35 years. So his birth certificate had one name, but other documents had both. When we went to get his passport, they wouldn't accept the two name documents. It took 2-3 months, but going to court was pretty easy, and cost was 500-800k, I believe.
          We may give it a go, but no paperwork seems to be easy in Medan! If anything simple took under three visits to the relevant office to complete I'd have a little celebration - haven't had a beer in months!
          Sometimes I feel I must be lexdysic.

Comment

Hi Bagindo, , When the Passport officer saw my surname on the Endorsement page of my wifes old passport, he asked her if she wanted it in her new passport, this was at the Tangerine passport office, she says when she got her new ID card after the card had been stolen, she was again asked, I also see my surname is on the Kartu Keluarga, no idea how that got there, so possibly things are a bit different here in Tangerine, no two areas seem to be the same, none of the above required any extra cash, tips or lunch money

Comment

Working...
            X