Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do Indonesian wives change their last name after marriage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do Indonesian wives change their last name after marriage?

I am Indonesian and my husband is British. I never think about changing last name before but then my husband asked about how Indonesian changing their last name. All Indonesian married wowen that I know are using their girl names.
    I would love to do that.
    But I am not really sure, I think Indonesia is not database country so its gonna be complicated to change it and also for the future when it comes to take care formal or legal things.

Does anybody has experience with that?

My wife has kept her own name as is the Indonesian tradition.

Comment

Umm...I think Indonesian girls don't normally do that. You can always change your name, might be a bit headache tho as you have to change the whole documents/ID cards I believe. Or you could always change your name for the British documents. When you're married, just bring your marriage certificate to change name on driver's licence/medicare, etc. Anyway i found this website you might wanna check it out.

http://www.kependudukancapil.go.id/i...id=882&catid=8

Comment

We didn't think about , KUA (Indonesian marriage office) didn't ask us about , and in the marriage documents my Indonesian wife kept her name without any modification .
        Last edited by marcus; 12-10-10, 22:42.

Comment

Many Indonesians do not have a last name to change.

Comment

I believe it is your choice if you want to change your last name or not. Some people do, common for western countries, some don't.

Comment

What exactly is your husband saying? That he expects you to adopt his last name, regardless of whether that is consistent with your wishes or the way things are typically done in this country? Or he's just wondering how things work here, in case it is your choice to take his name?

Comment

My wife's last name is a Social Status statement.......... I would not and certainly DID not ask her to change it .......... also.....being known as Mrs [email protected]@rd does have certain disadvantages .... hope this helps.
                .... monkeys typewriters ..... typewriters monkeys

Comment

Surprise, surprise...

Comment

Originally posted by t___c View Post
                    My wife's last name is a Social Status statement.......... I would not and certainly DID not ask her to change it .......... also.....being known as Mrs [email protected]@rd does have certain disadvantages .... hope this helps.
                    To each his (or her) own, of course, but I personally like your attitude of "I would not and certainly DID not ask her to change it." On the other hand, if you are serious in saying that she took your name because she thought it would enhance her social status...did that bother you at all?

Comment

- Indonesian wives are not expected to change their names in official documents. People simply begin to call her by her husband's name.
                      - Official name change in Indonesia is a bureaucratic hassle (it costs money).
                      - Every time you need to get ID documents (KTP, SIM, Paspor, etc.) you will need to bring the name change document along, which can get you hassled (for money) by officials.

Comment

It is your choice, but you shouldn't feel uncomfortable or pressured to change your name. It depends on where you live. If you'll living permanently in Indonesia, it is not necessary to change. If you will living permanently in your hubby's country or countries where family name is usually needed (example; when dealing with insurance companies, doctors, other bureaucracy or being introduced to someone), then adopt your hubby's family name is a better choice. You might want to add your husband's name to yours as an additional name, then you could use one or both as your new family name. Similarly, changing my last name to my husband's has drawn me closer to him and has strengthened our marriage and our family.
                        Ich mach mir die Welt, wie sie mir gefällt

Comment

Originally posted by Pippi View Post
                          If you will living permanently in your hubby's country or countries where family name is usually needed (example; when dealing with insurance companies, doctors, other bureaucracy or being introduced to someone), then adopt your hubby's family name is a better choice.
                          Let me offer a data point contrary to that assertion. I'm American, have been married for 28 years, and not only kept my own name but our son has my last name as well. This has really never caused even the slightest amount of administrative difficulty with insurance companies, bureaucracy, etc. (And who cares about social - if I am introduced as "Mrs. HusbandSurname" I either graciously ignore it or, if it is going to matter, I gently explain I'm "Ms. MyOwnSurname." There, "problem" [what problem?] solved.)

If anything, when I first got married (in the US) not changing my name made my life easier - I never had to get a new driver's license, social security card, etc. in my husband's name - all my existing documentation remained valid and correct.

Decisions about names are highly personal, and everyone should make the choice that feels right to them. Perhaps there are countries where it is necessary for a wife to take the husband's name because she'll run into significant practical difficulties if she doesn't. The OP says her fiance is a Brit. I find it very hard to believe that marrying someone British in this day and age makes the name change necessary as a logistical matter, but since I'm not from the UK and claim no special knowledge about the place, I guess I can't be sure.

Comment

Not changing name after marriage is also choice, like you (Puspawarna) said :-) and that is ok. I believe you already have family name before marriage, but in Indonesia, the problem is, we have last name, but it is NOT family name! if anyone has, it is rarely....

Ranig said that her hubby is Brit and some poster said that KUA didn't ask about the surname she will use after marriage, I assumed that she is already married in Indonesia? I think, if she got married in the UK, she were already asked whether she will keep her last name as family name or adopt her hubby's family name as her new family name, doesn't matter if she will use her last name + hubby's FN as new FN to avoid her last name gone.

I should then comparing bureaucracy in Indonesia and UK. As I know In Indonesia, when she fills out any form, there's no question about family name, if any, it's only about last name (nama belakang?) question. While the form in UK will normally asking about family name (correct me if i'm wrong). She should then fill it with her last name, but once again, it is NOT family name, but she has no choice (and if she is okay with that, then it's also ok).
                            The next problem is the name in the passport. Indonesian passport has only format Nama Lengkap/ Full name. It's not really clear whether our last name is FN or not. In some non English speaking country (example: some bureaucracy office in Germany), they will assume that our full name is FN :S, since Name in Germany known as Surname (it's another story of loosing your entire name haha...)

About being introduce to someone.... i mean, just to avoid endless explain that we are wife of X, again and again....
                            Ich mach mir die Welt, wie sie mir gefällt

Comment

My wife changed her name to mine but has she became a british citizen rather than continue to be a Indonesian one it never had any affect. She will in Indonesia always be known as Mama (Ibu)James after our first born child as I am called Bapak James. After the first birth names change anyhow if not officially.
                              Regards

Jimbo

Comment

Working...
                              X