Dutch women - Indonesian man

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by travellingchez View Post
    There is one advantage of being female married to an Indonesian. You can choose to get Indonesian citizenship if you do it within the first year.
    Five years minimum. Male or female, the law is the same since August 1st 2006. Article 9 and article 19 (1), (2) and (3) of the law 12/2006 are the one you should refer on the matter. Here they are, followed by a homemade translation.

Pasal 9
    Permohonan pewarganegaraan dapat diajukan oleh pemohon jika memenuhi persyaratan sebagai berikut:
    a. telah berusia 18 (delapan belas) tahun atau sudah kawin;
    b. ada waktu mengajukan permohonan sudah bertempat tinggal di wilayah negara Republik Indonesia paling singkat 5 (lima ) tahun berturut-turut atau paling singkat 10 (sepuluh puluh) tahun tidak berturut-turut;
    c. sehat jasmani dan rohani;
    d. dapat berbahasa Indonesia serta mengakui dasar negara Pancasila dan Undang-Undang Dasar Negara Republik Indonesia Tahun 1945;
    e. tidak pernah dijatuhi pidana karena melakukan tindak pidana yang diancam dengan pidana penjara 1 (satu) tahun atau lebih;
    f. jika dengan memperoleh Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia, tidak menjadi berkewarganegaraan ganda;
    g. mempunyai pekerjaan dan/atau berpenghasilan tetap; dan
    h. membayar uang pewarganegaraan ke Kas Negara.

Pasal 19
    (1) Warga negara asing yang kawin secara sah dengan Warga Negara Indonesia dapat memperoleh Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia dengan menyampaikan pernyataan menjadi warga negara di hadapan Pejabat.
    (2) Pernyataan sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (1) dilakukan apabila yang bersangkutan sudah bertempat tinggal di wilayah negara Republik Indonesia paling singkat 5 (lima) tahun berturut-turut atau paling singkat 10 (sepuluh) tahun tidak berturut-turut, kecuali dengan perolehan kewarganegaraan tersebut mengakibatkan berkewarganegaraan ganda.
    (3) Dalam hal yang bersangkutan tidak memperoleh Kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia yang diakibatkan oleh kewarganegaraan ganda sebagaimana dimaksud pada ayat (2), yang bersangkutan dapat diberi izin tinggal tetap sesuai dengan peraturan perundang-undangan.

Translation

Article 9
    Naturalization application may be submitted by an applicant if he/she meets the following requirements:
    a. having reached the age of 18 (eighteen) years or having been married,
    b. when submitting the application he/she has resided in the territory of the Republic of Indonesia for at least 5 (five) consecutive years or at least 10 (ten) inconsecutive years,
    c. physically and psychologically healthy/sane,
    d. able to use Indonesian language as well as agreeing with/recognizing the state philosophy (Pancasila) and the 1945 Constitution of the Republic of Indonesia;
    e. has never been convicted with a criminal sanction for committing crime that is subject to imprisonment for a period of 1 (one) year or more;
    f. by gaining the Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia, he/she will not have dual citizenship
    g. having an occupation and/or a fixed income; and
    h. paying the naturalization fee to the State’s coffer.

Article 19
    (1) A foreign citizen legitimately marrying an Indonesian citizen may gain the Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia by stating his/her intention to become a citizen before an Authorized Official.
    (2) The statement as referred to in paragraph (1) should be made if the relevant person has resided within the territory of the Republic of Indonesia for at least 5 (five) consecutive years or at least 10 (ten) inconsecutive years, unless the aforementioned gaining of citizenship results in dual citizenship.
    (3) In the event that the relevant person does not gain the Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia due to dual citizenship as referred to in paragraph (2), the relevant person may be given permanent stay permit in accordance with the laws and regulations.

Comment

See what you can learn on the internet. Thanks Atlanis.

(b. when submitting the application he/she has resided in the territory of the Republic of Indonesia for at least 5 (five) consecutive years or at least 10 (ten) inconsecutive years,)
      I know my friend hadn't lived here that long. It was more like 1 1/2years. A blind eye can obviously be turned to some things
      The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by travellingchez View Post
        I know my friend hadn't lived here that long. It was more like 1 1/2years. A blind eye can obviously be turned to some things
        Let"s be fair, everything can not be put under the corruption chapter. Your friend has been granted the Indonesian citizenship, without doubt, BEFORE august 1st, 2006 date when the new Citizenship act came to force. Prior to this date the Undang-Undang nomor 62 tahun 1958 was the prevailing law on the matter and it's article seven was reading:

Pasal 7 UU 62/1958 (sudah dibatalkan)
        (1) Seorang perempuan asing yang kawin dengan seorang warganegara Republik Indonesia, memperoleh kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia, apabila dan pada waktu ia dalam 1 tahun setelah perkawinanya berlangsung menyatakan keterangan untuk itu, kecuali jika ia apabila memperoleh kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia masih mempunyai kewarganegaraan lain, dalam hal mana keterangan itu tidak boleh dinyatakan.
        (2) Dengan perkecualian tersebut dalam ayat 1 perempuan asing yang kawin dengan seorang warganegara Republik Indonesia juga memperoleh kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia satu tahun sesudah perkawinannya berlangsung, apabila dalam satu tahun itu suaminya tidak menyatakan keterangan untuk melepaskan kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesianya. Keterangan itu hanya boleh dinyatakan dan hanya mengakibatkan hilangnya kewarganegaraan Republik Indonesia, apabila dengan kehilangan itu, suami tersebut tidak menjadi tanpa kewarganegaraan.
        (3) Apabila dari salah satu keterangan tersebut dalam ayat 1 dan ayat 2 sudah dinyatakan, maka keterangan yang lainnya tidak boleh dinyatakan.

Not a question of turning blind eye. The law has just changed.

Comment

Translation of the article 7, law 52/1958 (beware this law has been abrogated and replaced by the law 12/2006)

(1)A foreign female married to a citizen of the Republic of Indonesia, acquires the citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia, if and when she makes a statement for that effect within 1 year after contracting said marriage, except in the case that when she acquires the citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia she possesses still another nationality, in which case the statement can not be made.
          (2)With the exception as mentioned in paragraph 1 the foreign female who marries a citizen of the Republic of Indonesia also acquires the citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia one year after the marriage has been contracted, if within that one year her husband does not make a statement as to release his citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia. Said statement may only be made and only results in the loss of the citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia if by such a loss the husband does not become stateless.
          (3)If one of the statements mentioned in paragraph 1 and 2 have been made, the alternative statement may not be made.

Comment

That would be the one
            Can't keep up with all these law changes.
            Last edited by travellingchez; 29-08-10, 08:30.
            The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everyone else.

Comment

Thanks for the info re my comment on Dual citizenship for our daughter. As noted on another thread we were given misleading info from Jakarta, New Zealand and the agent who arranges Kitas etc at our school..... all the same. We could not retain her NZ citizenship if she held Indonesian citizenship. The time has now passed anyway. We can always get her an Indonesian passport if needed and will now leave that up to her in the future.

As "sibschool" mentioned in the post re schooling it is true of most International schools in Jakarta, most of them are not accepting Indonesian students until there is a clear indication from DIKNAS on how the new laws will "pan" out. My understanding for dual citizen children, having been at most of the meetings held by DIKNAS and International schools, dual citizen children do not have to be "attached" to a KITAS to be enrolled as foreign they only have to supply a copy of a foreign passport. We specifically asked this of the "Official" panel at the meeting held in Surabaya for Intenational Schools. I would clarify this at the school if anyone is in this position.

Comment

nice thread

Comment

Originally from Indonesia, but no real benefit?

Hello, I'm new to the forum. My wife is originally from Indonesia and has been naturalized in Holland for 20 years. I've been looking into how she might regain her ID nationality out of curiosity, and what implications this has for her Dutch nationality.

Becoming Indonesia means surrendering the passport and formally giving up citizenship, though I am not sure how Indonesia is able to verify the forfeiture of nationality.

In Holland reclaiming citizenship requires registering for a residence permit in Holland (getting a house there, registering with the city, paying 831Euro) and at least a 3 month wait to be confirmed as a citizen again. Checking out the link below for all the dirty details on that.

If a Dutch citizen doesn't actually give up their citizenship it is very easy to maintain; renewing a passport or getting a proof of citizenship paper from an embassy every 10 years is sufficient, but only if citizenship isn't given up.

There are some specifics within the Dutch Nationality Act(s) that apply to my lady because Indonesia is her country of origin and because she has such a long tenure in Holland. Specifically, it is easier for her to regain Dutch nationality than if she didn't have those going for her. In fact, she could maintain dual nationality if Indonesia permitted it. I suppose I am simply interested in finding out what if any benefit her situation might give us, but I've yet to discover any. Ideas welcome!

Comment

I would think very hard before changing your citizenship, an indonesian passport is considered a third world country passport by many western countries and the world is closed to you, very hard to get a visa to enter these countries. It is very unfair but those are the facts. Before my wife got her permanent residence papers from the u.s. (green card) we couldn't even go on a mexican cruise because the port of embarcation was in the u.s.. Now the world has opened up for her.

Comment

The law enacted in 2006 is in essence not an indonesian law, but a law set forth by the united nations and adopted by many countries, including indonesia and america. This law's main purpose is to protect foreign spouses from abuse by their partners. For instance, if an indonesian woman is married to an u.s. citizen and they have child born in the u.s. this child automatically becomes a u.s. citizen. Hence, if the wife or child are abused by this american father the mother and child have no recourse. With the child's dual citizenship the mother will be able to take the child and herself to the nearest embassy or consulate of her country of birth and seeks its protection and eventually a plane ticket to her home country. I think this a beautiful law.

Comment

Beside considered as a third world country, Indonesia is still seen as a terrorist country. This make it even more difficult to get a Visa to travel.

Originally posted by benederlof View Post
                        ... an indonesian passport is considered a third world country passport by many western countries and the world is closed to you, very hard to get a visa to enter these countries.

In many other countries even you have got your PR you are still considered the same like any other Indonesians. You will only get privilege once you have got a foreign passport. This is the main reason why most of Indonesians people get naturalised.

Originally posted by benederlof View Post
                        ... Before my wife got her permanent residence papers from the u.s. (green card) we couldn't even go on a mexican cruise because the port of embarcation was in the u.s.. Now the world has opened up for her.
                        Last edited by adindas; 16-01-11, 00:47.

Comment

Wow...☺ I'm native indonesian and would be seek expat women plan to married. Thanks a lot for all informations would be help me for the next step...☺

Comment

Working...
                          X