• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most College Graduates Unhappy with Their Degrees

From https://www.thejakartapost.com/life/...different.html , March 2020
    Title : Most college graduates wish they majored in something different
    By : Virginia Van Natta , Bloomberg

[In USA , around 60% of college graduates say they should have majored in something different and would go back and change their field of study if they could, according to a survey by Bestcolleges.com ...

About a third of dissatisfied folks ages 24-39 said they should have focused on subjects that improved their job opportunities. Meanwhile, older generations lamented not pursuing their passion.

Millennials were the most likely to say their degrees failed to prepare them for the workforce ...

There is a disconnect between what young people are studying and what the reality is when they start working, said Quinn Tomlin, a spokeswoman at BestColleges ...]
    Last edited by marcus; 27-03-20, 18:54.

As someone who graduated from college during the brunt of the financial crisis, I remembered my campus' career center saying my graduating class will be hit the hardest in terms of earning potential and opportunities to start their career in the field of their choice. This is also the time when the real estate tech boom was happening in the San Francisco Bay Area which is where I went to school. If you didn't work for a start-up, you were trying your best to find whatever opportunity you could secure even if it meant waiting tables or brewing coffee on the side. If I looked back, I would say that it would have been nice to have some sort of requirement to take classes that builds financial literacy. It's also worth noting that today, there are more options for having a career or business that doesn't require a Bachelor's like coding, content creation and other digitally-focused careers that may attract the millennial generation.

Comment

I did read in the news that many Indonesian based companies are saying that Indonesian colleges/universities are not preparing students for the jobs they offer . It is the same in my country (South America) and probably in almost all countries in the world (I heard that in Germany there is a little of innovation) .

In my view , education everywhere is the most neglected basic human necessity .
      Last edited by marcus; 1 week ago.

Comment

I can't speak on any other countries except the US. As far as US universities go and this is only in California, too, the big universities like UC campuses (UC Berkeley, UCLA, UC San Diego, etc.) are research institutions. They prepare folks to get into advanced degree programs, whereas the California State schools (CSU Northridge, CSU Los Angeles, etc.) focus on practical applications. Though the Cal State schools aren't as prestigious, but are more affordable, I think they set up students to succeed immediately as they embed an internship requirement related to their major or focus of study in order to graduate. That's not to say that the big UC's aren't able to help students to flourish as many students do get into solid career paths. Just saying when I was at my UC campus, my professors talked about grad school all the time, like how this assignment or course will be a foundation to whatever advanced degree we're aiming.

But you're right the way that education is being disseminated today is outdated. I guess that's why trade schools or independent career schools (that are for profit) have been thriving. Not everyone were meant to do high level math or maybe write a thesis. I know in California, art academies, nursing programs, automotive institutes and the likes have been popping up to "offer" career relevant skills that otherwise aren't accessible elsewhere through "hands-on" training. Just my two cents.

Comment

I also think, that students could get more practical learning processes, instead of almost useless theory. It's way easier to learn languages than any other subjects, isn't it? This article of how to speak American English without accent - gave me some information to re-think. I'm glad that I've discovered this Preply resource, because of their online tutors, who can help with online learning of any language I want.

Comment

The variety of educational opportunities in the USA is almost limitless. Perhaps what is lacking are resources to help the young and clueless determine which vocation is most likely to be self-actualizing down the road. Perhaps, as well, those who find themselves unhappy with an earlier career choice, need to take responsibility for a bad decision, while giving themselves permission to start over. Its a tremendous risk not many are willing to take.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
              (1) The variety of educational opportunities in the USA is almost limitless.

(2) Perhaps what is lacking are resources to help the young and clueless determine which vocation is most likely to be self-actualizing down the road.

(3) Perhaps, as well, those who find themselves unhappy with an earlier career choice, need to take responsibility for a bad decision, while giving themselves permission to start over. Its a tremendous risk not many are willing to take.

(1) Yes , if you are financially well , right ?
              But when I said education is in bad shape I meant the whole system , since primary school (kindergarten too ?) .

(2) I agree that this is one of the problems .

(3) I think we cannot blame them much . At least in my country , besides being young (with very little life experience) they also face : pressure from parents to choose what the parents like , very little information of what they should choose , financial limitation , ...

Comment

Working...
              X