Other Alternative for American School

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other Alternative for American School

I am asking this forum for any advises and suggestions, it's been very disturbing week for me. My daughter who is attending NJIS for almost 2 semester , got a bad new last friday. The school is closing due to a landlord dispute. The school decided to close for 1 year ( don't know why). One thing this matter pisses me off is the school has been in dispute with their landlord for the last 3 years.The school has the obligation to inform all new parents of the matter instead they are covering it until last week.I feel mad and disgusted, I demanded that the school should find any replacement school for my daughter and refund the entrance fee.
    I am looking for american school beside JIS, she gets used to small school. Is there any other american school in jakarta ?

I can say this , I am mad like hell and lucky the school, it's in jakarta. I wish it were in NY, then I could sue them all for decieving me.

That the school was trying to resolve a dispute with the landlord is not the same thing as knowing the school was/is definitely going to close and keeping it a secret. Perhaps the administration could have been more forthright, but a public announcement that the school was in difficult negotiations would most likely have created a stampede for the the door. The announcement would have been a self-fulfilling prophesy. It is a shame that the school is closing. Although students face a difficult transition, the tragic consequences will fall most heavily on the many employees of the school.

As this problem has been whispered for sometime, it is my understanding that some parents have already relocated to STB-ACS (International) Jakarta known formerly as Sekolah Tiara Bangsa (http://www.acsjakarta.sch.id/) It think that STB-ACS is at least on par with NJIS and also a bit less expensive. It may not be to your liking, though, in that it is does have more students, but it is relative close to Kelapa Gading or at least on the same side of town. The link to Living in Indonesia above lists most of the other International and National Plus Schools that might be alternatives to NJIS.

Good luck with making the best for your daughter out of a difficult, frustrating situation.

Comment

Thanks

Thank you for your suggestion. I think this time I will make the decision, last time I trusted my husband completely which is my fault. I am going to look school that she can go and stay there for long. I don't think we are looking for that school and I will wait until she is done with her second semester. We live in Jakarta Pusat, so I will look around in the south of Jakarta.

The school's principal was kind enough to respond to my blog. I think I move on and yes, I feel so sorry for the people who's been working there for so long. They are all nice and caring people who care about their students.

Thanks once again and have a great weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mirandagee View Post

I can say this , I am mad like hell and lucky the school, it's in jakarta. I wish it were in NY, then I could sue them all for decieving me.
        oh joy, the american way!

Comment

How is it your husbands fault when it comes to this and it is not like he is psychic.
          Madness? No this is Indo

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion. I think this time I will make the decision, last time I trusted my husband completely which is my fault. I am going to look school that she can go and stay there for long. I don't think we are looking for that school and I will wait until she is done with her second semester. We live in Jakarta Pusat, so I will look around in the south of Jakarta.

The school's principal was kind enough to respond to my blog. I think I move on and yes, I feel so sorry for the people who's been working there for so long. They are all nice and caring people who care about their students.

If you live in Jakarta Pusat, I suspect there are schools more geographically convenient than STB-ACS, although when we visited there and had a chance to talk to a few of the students, we found that several of them lived in Menteng. I applaud your new resolve to be actively involved in the next school selection decision, but perhaps you should give you husband a second chance. I think he made a good decision, given what he know at the time. Just like the finance minister, he should not be tared for the misdeeds of others.

Again, good hunting.

Comment

Hi Miranda, sorry to hear about the school's situation....I am sure you will find another for your daughter soon, just be patience because the last thing your daughter wants to see is mommy & daddy argued and angry to each other. Best of luck.
              [FONT=Book Antiqua]If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague..[/FONT]

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind inputs. I am gonna see the BIS and ACG at the moment. I think I will take this matter rest and inform you where my daughter will go to school. I won't respond each of your comments, but I do appreciate of your time.

@Indomom, you are such a great relief as always since the beginning.

Comment

She indeed is a great contributor, IMHO.

Comment

@Miranda....I am happy to help, anytime - keep us posted, warm regards from Hawaii.

@Atlantis....Thank you
                    [FONT=Book Antiqua]If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague..[/FONT]

Comment

Thank you everyone for your kind inputs. I am gonna see the BIS and ACG at the moment. I think I will take this matter rest and inform you where my daughter will go to school. I won't respond each of your comments, but I do appreciate of your time.

Just an observation ... neither BIS nor ACG is on the American system, and BIS is huge. So, if you are considering large schools that are not on the American system, you might as well consider JIS too. And since you are expanding beyond schools with an American curriculum, I *definitely* recommend AIS. They lack the facilities of a huge school like JIS or BIS, but the community is terrific. My son went there for a while and I have nothing but praise for their teachers and administrators.

Comment

http://www.highscope.or.id/

Sekolah High/Scope? I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the schools are smaller and they use an American curriculum. I think they're technically nat plus (?) but they speak English at the schools and they're American accredited. They've got several campuses around Jakarta. I've seen a few of them and their facilities are quite nice and modern.

Comment

anybody knows how is NJIS now? Are they going to operate 'normally' for the next semester, or .......no idea....ive heard not many current students continue and not many new students apply......

Comment

Gaviota...NJIS will stay open. They have reduced numbers because they announced they would close, but then changed their minds. They are going to use the opportunity of having low numbers of students to upgrade the school a section at a time. The new principal came and gave a presentation about their future plans next month. It will be interesting to see what happens....

Comment

Thanks for the information Chloe! I've heard many things about that school, and its kinda interesting to see where the school grows to... if im not mistaken next month the school is closed due to the renovation ?!

Comment

Working...
                              X