No announcement yet.

An Education To Die For

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could make a complaint to whatever organisation gives accreditation to private schools. But I would think you would first have to make an approach to the school itself. I certainly would not be letting it go. If you can afford it, you might consider seeing a lawyer first. After all, apart from the damage done to your son, you are paying for a service.
    Asam di gunung, garam di laut bertemu dalam satu belanga. https://linuxcounter.net/cert/352656.png

Comment

That would be DIKNAS, and yes you can.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, very much appreciated. My wife has just told me that Jokowi apparently has a Facebook or Twitter account.
        The answer is 42 .... any questions? .

Comment

if you have twitter.. try to add anies baswedan. he's the candidate for Mendikbud.
          Originally posted by macvert View Post
          Thanks for the input guys, very much appreciated. My wife has just told me that Jokowi apparently has a Facebook or Twitter account.
          dont judge a book by it cover. judge it by it price. good books are expensive

Comment

The university hazing by "seniors" described by Little M has been banned, but the OP was talking about an official ceremony. Last time I attended one was when my stepdaughter served as drum majorette for the band of her high school, which was about 10 years ago.

I'm unclear if the devastating event occurred at public school and THEN you put him into Salvation Army School. Or did it occur at the latter?

Even if orientation has been banned from public schools, I wonder if the same "assembly" method is still used for graduation or other ceremonies?

BTW, this kind of outdoor "respect by standing still in the hot sun" also occurs in other countries, like Thailand.

Comment

He's only staying with The Salvation Army, it's a private school in question SMK PGRI 3 in Denpasar

Comment

During my time in school here, hazing was pretty common. Mostly it was done under the guise of orientation or initiation. People fainting was pretty common, though I don't recall anyone hospitalized or injured. There was the 1 week orientation which was on school grounds, with the hazing ritual in the afternoon. Mostly the seniors design tasks that are basically impossible to complete, then you get "punished" for it. Mostly involving physical things like push-ups or crawls etc, but also theatrical things like pretending to be a dog or something. Also lots and lots of standing at attention, saluting and marching (maybe some Japanese influence...I'm not sure). Then later in the school year there was another week long initiation to join school organizations which was off school grounds and was a bit more rigorous. Most "memorable" was laying down in a wet sawah. Yay.

Typical small-minded, ignorant behavior if you ask me, but then this country is full of that. Unfortunately it has taken victims and sometimes makes the news. If they really want to stop this behavior they should start leveling criminal charges at perpetrators and school administrators, with real prison terms. If it were my child I would press charges and file lawsuits.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your boy - if this was the first day and he was treated this way alarm bells should be ringing. Name and shame the school after you pull him out and let the headmaster know your feelings and intentions. There was a case recently whereby hazing left 3 pupils dead after a mountaineering trip and the police actually brought charges against the offenders.

Comment

Originally posted by macvert View Post
                    Recently our 17 year old attended School Orientation Day & onarrival at school all students were made to run around the basketballcourt in mandatory uniform of long pants & shirt before having toMarch in front oa a police presence of half a dozen officers. Allstudents then had to stand in the sun for 2 hours while the police &teachers took shelter in shade...
                    My oh my, at the first read I thought you enrolled him on military academy!
                    "The past cannot be changed,
                    the future is still in your power."

Comment

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]My wife tells me hazing is a leftover from the Soeharto era so I suppose that means everybody was looked upon as a potential soldier.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]It's a bit of a difficult situation for us with our options for schooling limited but we are looking into alternatives ...... the thing is that he now has many friends with whom he goes to school & is very happy in that respect.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]My wife is in charge of proceedings, not that I am shy or reserved but we are in Indonesia where it sometimes seems to me that bules count for SFA except what's in our wallets.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]We are treading lightly & as I said he has a doctor's note which excuses him from taking part in any of these activities & we are at present concentrating on his personal well being because this ordeal has scared him somewhat ..... thanks for the thoughts & input...... I particularly like the Lame Excuse strategy that The Diamond suggested, sort of like playing them at their own game. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]Akubrahat…. no worries mate (from 1 Australian to another ) yours & any constructive advice is always appreciated but honestly, taking the family to Australia isn't really that much of an option for me despite free medical & (apparent) free schooling, it's so goddam expensive to live there these days, the rent I pay here isn't much more than the council rates I pay in Australia & living on the poverty line aint really that much fun.[/FONT][/COLOR]
                      Last edited by macvert; 03-08-14, 00:08.

Comment

Mac, didn't you comment a month or so ago about non-Hindu kids being forced to participate in Hindu ceremonies at public schools in rural Bali? I guess you moved to Denpasar?

Anyway, my 11-year-old said they all stand outside for EVERY assembly, not just the first day of the school year. Frankly, I don't see what else they can do in a small elementary school, because few public ones are built with auditoriums -- the only large meeting area is the schoolyard.

She said that sometimes kids faint from the heat. I guess the best preventive (other than changing school, if a better one is actually an option) would be to make sure she/he drinks enough liquids before the assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by martindo View Post
                          Mac, didn't you comment a month or so ago about non-Hindu kids being forced to participate in Hindu ceremonies at public schools in rural Bali? I guess you moved to Denpasar?

Anyway, my 11-year-old said they all stand outside for EVERY assembly, not just the first day of the school year. Frankly, I don't see what else they can do in a small elementary school, because few public ones are built with auditoriums -- the only large meeting area is the schoolyard.

She said that sometimes kids faint from the heat. I guess the best preventive (other than changing school, if a better one is actually an option) would be to make sure she/he drinks enough liquids before the assembly.

Indeed I did comment about public schools, no we haven't moved to Denpasar but among other reasons outlined that is why he is now staying with the Salvos & we enrolled him in this private school.

I saw a school assembly on my way to Medewi the other day, maybe 100 kids or so, the big difference was that they were all standing under an enormous tree. In Australia maybe 10 years ago a program was implemented to plant large shade trees in all public schools for this very reason.

& yes, carrying water is something we are actively drumming into his head..
                          Last edited by macvert; 03-08-14, 12:16.

Comment

Working...
                          X