Ielts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ielts

Hey my fellow teacher members in this forum. Do you guys any tips and tricks to do IELTS test? Plus do you have any link to do some exercise?
    I will take IELTS test on July/ August and I kinda worried because, as you all can see, that I my english isn't that excellent. If I said I need to get 6 I think it's a bit ambitious.

IELTS, or any other tests for that matter, will score so much better if you are familiar with the type of questions. The first time I took IELTS without preparation, I got 7.5 overall band score. Took it again after IELTS preparation course for 2-3 weeks and I got 8.5. Seeing your English, I think 6 is easily attainable. You just have to get used to the writing part (I think it's the part where you can easily improve through trainings). For the tips and tricks, google is your friend, dear... Good luck!

Comment

wooowww 7.5 then 8.5 T.T that sounds awesome... I think I am also not that good on grammar.

Comment

I think you should spend your run-in time to the Test by brushing up on all areas of structure grammar and comprehension for the English language.

What is your aim in taking the IELTS test? Are you going overseas? Why IELTS rather than TOEFL?

I suggest that any language proficiency test is not just about getting a good score but about comprehending the language in the first instant. Compare it perhaps to learning to drive or to swim. Yes indeed, you may get lucky with a combination of skill and application to get a 6 but nothing beats preparation and it is a little worrying if you feel you can walk into a test room and just get the requisite score for the requisite purpose.

IELTS is more than a basic speaking or writing test and like TOEFL it is not cheap. Use the Internet and your network of contacts to ensure you maximize your preparation and readiness and are not wasting your time and money.

Comment

For the speaking part, maybe seeing some mock IELTS videos through Youtube will help. Haha, don't worry, you only need grammar mostly for the writing and speaking part. For the writing part, again, familiarize yourself with the test. Usually, first they will ask you to write a short explanation of a diagram/table and the second one will be an argumentative type of writing which scores double than the other one.

Comment

@Mr.Cibubur: Yes I am applying visa to go abroad. And it required at least 4.5. But I am being an ambitious and wanting to get 6. I ever did mocking IELTS test when there was a university exhibition in here, And I got 6. But it was like 3 years ago. I am just afraid that now I am losing the english grammar ability and spelling. But writing in this forum it does help me a lot.
            I bought books about preparing IELTS. Hope it helps.

@Sarah: uuurgh I am struggling with writing. Both in bahasa Indonesia and English! That's why I dont update my blogs that often!

Comment

Are you applying for the General or Academic IELTS? I took the academic one. So, if you're taking the general one, I think you should just ignore my tips on the writing part because they will be totally different.

Comment

Sorry, I just read that it is for a visa. I reckon you'll need a general one then!

Comment

Certainly do not feel discouraged Diamond. You post on this Forum regularly and responsibly and I am sure you can show the necessary application to achieve your objectives and goals with the IELTS Test. The IELT test is a lot more subjective than the TOEFL test on your academic ability but follow the hints and I think you will be fine.

Practice makes perfect. Something more than just words and an overused English idiom (or proverb?). Probably the latter.

Comment

@sarah: yes for visa. I think it's the general one. Is it not as difficult as the academic one then?

@mr. c: thanks! I know 'bollocks' and other thing so I think safe hahahahahaa

Comment

There are four parts for an IELTS test: listening, reading, writing, and speaking. The listening and speaking part will be the same with the academic one. The other two will be very different. On the writing part maybe you'll be required to write a short letter/memo to someone. As for the reading test, I think it will be much easier (not sure though...)

Comment

Thanks for info..

I'll practice more on my writing skill. I think I will take the test on August instead of on July.

Comment

Heyy diamond, sukses yaa IELTS-nyaa! I'm you can do it, your English is bagus bagus aja kok, wooo! Semangatt

Comment

nuwwwuuun

Comment

Originally posted by thediamond View Post
                              @Mr.Cibubur: Yes I am applying visa to go abroad. And it required at least 4.5. But I am being an ambitious and wanting to get 6. I ever did mocking IELTS test when there was a university exhibition in here, And I got 6. But it was like 3 years ago. I am just afraid that now I am losing the english grammar ability and spelling. But writing in this forum it does help me a lot. I bought books about preparing IELTS. Hope it helps. @Sarah: uuurgh I am struggling with writing. Both in bahasa Indonesia and English! That's why I dont update my blogs that often!
                              "I ever did mocking IELTS test when there was a university exhibition in here" pedant alert: you cannot say "I ever did" in English. It is a very basic mistake that a lot of Indonesians make by translating directly from Bahasa. You could say "I once did" or just "I did". Also we normally say "mock test" not "mocking test", which would imply something out of Monty Python. Finally you should say "here" not "in here" even though in indonesian it is disini.

Comment

Working...
                              X