Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

International school for returning Indonesian expat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what I humbly wonder about is why JIS, at least in the beginning being set up to educate children of embassy officials, and after that morphing into something bigger and broader (but excluding Indonesian children), and perhaps later reconstituted as a yayasan, would want to make a superprofit for its "owners"?

I understand yayasans usually operate to benefit Indonesia, and so I further wonder how could this one (JIS) have achieved this - especially in the beginning? Does it explain the high salaries of teachers?

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
      what I humbly wonder about is why JIS, at least in the beginning being set up to educate children of embassy officials, and after that morphing into something bigger and broader (but excluding Indonesian children), and perhaps later reconstituted as a yayasan, would want to make a superprofit for its "owners"?

I understand yayasans usually operate to benefit Indonesia, and so I further wonder how could this one (JIS) have achieved this - especially in the beginning? Does it explain the high salaries of teachers?
      Erm, JIS expanded because there was and still is a greater need?

JIS is not making a super profit for anyone.

Who says their teacher salaries are overly high? They are not.

Comment

for JJ

well it is now bigger than it was right??

About profit - my point was about the goal of the "business" - if it is not to make supernormal profits, then what are its economic goals if any?

Teacher salaries are well above the Jakarta market price for similar teachers. I would guess they could attract good teachers with a lower salary (I am not wishing this) - so why and how do they pay above market rates??

It is my understanding that, to a certain extent, the concept of a global market for teachers, where international teachers have to given significant incentives to teach, is becoming less tenable - there is a pool of teachers already in Jakarta,for example. If this is true, then the argument that they have to be paid their home rate plus plus is not as strong as it used to be.

My humble question remains "why do they offer rates significantly above their competitors'? This does not make business sense. I am looking for some insight into this. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by johntap View Post
          for JJ

well it is now bigger than it was right??

About profit - my point was about the goal of the "business" - if it is not to make supernormal profits, then what are its economic goals if any?

Teacher salaries are well above the Jakarta market price for similar teachers. I would guess they could attract good teachers with a lower salary (I am not wishing this) - so why and how do they pay above market rates??

It is my understanding that, to a certain extent, the concept of a global market for teachers, where international teachers have to given significant incentives to teach, is becoming less tenable - there is a pool of teachers already in Jakarta,for example. If this is true, then the argument that they have to be paid their home rate plus plus is not as strong as it used to be.

My humble question remains "why do they offer rates significantly above their competitors'? This does not make business sense. I am looking for some insight into this. Thanks
          The bolded part is easy - the market JIS competes in for teachers is not "expat teachers living in Jakarta." The market is "highly qualified teachers who make a career out of working abroad at the 'top' schools in Asia, the Middle East, and all over the world."

The vast majority of teachers that JIS hires come from the international school circuit. Local hires are actually quite rare. But, JIS does NOT give local hire teachers the same package they give people from abroad. Or at least they did not in the past. Local hires didn't get nearly as good a deal. If that has changed - and I don't know that it has - I would assume it was for reasons of equity among staff, and to avoid demoralizing local hires who felt that it was unfair.
          Last edited by Puspawarna; 06-02-14, 09:47. Reason: added information to last paragraph

Comment

I decided to put my kids to BIS because JIS staffs was giving me the attitudes. Now BIS system disappointed me and the staffs and everything in there irritates me. I will move my kids somewhere else. If BIS decided to be a local school with 80% Indonesian admission and adopted and behave like local school.. So be it!

Comment

Er, Missnaughty ... I have a PM from you dated June 11 of this year that says you didn't enroll your son in JIS because the class was full (as opposed to JIS staff giving [you] attitudes").

Not that I don't believe you about your experience - I do. I've heard many stories (and run into it myself) about the JIS admissions process being on the snotty side. However, given the sensitivities of the moment, I strongly encourage stories like these not to omit possibly significant details.

Comment

I referred to the attitude not this time, but my first post in Jakarta which was a long time ago. To readers, sorry for your misunderstanding. This time actually I had totally different experience. From the email, phone conversation and admission process. Unfortunately, we decided in the end not to put our child in JIS. But, to be honest, I regret my decision. I am a type of person that can put up with any attitude. It doesn't bother me, but when it affect my children happiness and education, I would definitely not gonna be quiet.

Whatever system that BIS has now and the attitude from some staffs made me unhappy. I think they have problem to communicate with parents especially for new parents (and this not only my opinion, many new parents agree with me.. If you guys decided to hold a workshop and the audience ask questions please don't keep saying "all is in the email") and their policy is more to keep old parents happy.. I guess people like us is just temporary guest..
                Last edited by Missnaughty; 06-09-14, 13:28.

Comment

Thanks, MissN, the clarification is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Missnaughty View Post
                    I decided to put my kids to BIS because JIS staffs was giving me the attitudes. Now BIS system disappointed me and the staffs and everything in there irritates me. I will move my kids somewhere else. If BIS decided to be a local school with 80% Indonesian admission and adopted and behave like local school.. So be it!
                    At which school do you think you will happy at?

Comment

I thought BIS could accommodate my need and expectation. But apparently not.. Is it because they are not with Nord Anglia so they have different policy and approach to students?

Comment

My question remains.

Comment

Have heard good things about NZ Int School. I also visited SPH and was impressed, but they are way out in Karawaci.

Comment

NZIS is a long way down the list in a number of aspects compared to other schools.

Comment

Name a few please. Hopefully, they won't all be based on test scores or other quant info.

Comment

JIS referred us to NZIS when our kids couldn't get in. Eventually JIS found places before they enrolled. We chose JIS because its close to where we wanted to live, really that was the main reason.

Other people have told us NZIS is good, a nice small school with good staff. Personally I think all the foreign schools are good quality, they have cultural differences but as I said previously on another thread, the teachers and children make the school and they are are all generally very good.

If you want to enroll your kids in school and then complain about it, the school will be be bad for you. If you can accept as an idiosyncrasy what the school does that might bug you, and work politely to change things you really want changed, then you will do ok.

Comment

Working...
                                X