Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPH Kemang vs ACG

Hi!

May I ask for feedback about SPH International School Kemang and ACG? Would anyone have an idea on which school is better academically?

Thanks!

What grade(s) are you interested in? How do you feel about a strong Christian focus?

I'm sorry I don't have direct experience with either school - I had a good friend with young daughters (ages 5-7ish) enrolled at ACG and it seemed to be pretty good; and I've only ever heard pretty positive comments among my circle of friends. I don't know anyone who has ever sent children to SPH so I can't comment on that school, other than to say that I personally would be turned off by the religious focus. But different strokes for different folks - others might consider that a plus.

Comment

I used to work at ACG. I have a lot of positives to say about it and probably the same number of negatives. It used to be a family school when I was working there. Recently the management have seemed more concerned with making money. It now looks like a big office building whereas before it was full of trees and quite open. I'm not too sure about the teaching standards now. When I was there the teachers were very good. However, the current principal is a hard person to contact and a little reclusive from what I've heard. Anyway, best you check both out for yourself. Thanks

Comment

Both are good schools, but this is a six month old post now, the OP has probably made up his or her mind already.

Comment

Originally posted by Puspawarna View Post
          What grade(s) are you interested in? How do you feel about a strong Christian focus?

I'm sorry I don't have direct experience with either school - I had a good friend with young daughters (ages 5-7ish) enrolled at ACG and it seemed to be pretty good; and I've only ever heard pretty positive comments among my circle of friends. I don't know anyone who has ever sent children to SPH so I can't comment on that school, other than to say that I personally would be turned off by the religious focus. But different strokes for different folks - others might consider that a plus.
          Very true!
          By the way SPH has a very good art program while ACG has an excellent facility for performing arts. I love these two schools based on that two points.
          Last edited by saigon; 02-08-14, 10:48.
          "The past cannot be changed,
          the future is still in your power."

Comment

I can't speak for SPH Kemang, but I am aware that SPH Karawaci (the original campus) has sent graduates to Oxford, Cambridge, and the Ivy Leagues. That says something about the quality of education/student beyond test scores.

OP doesn't say the age of her/his kid(s) and apparently has dropped out of the forum, so I guess we won't know which school was chosen and how it does or does not satisfy the quest for a good international education.

Some "Christian" schools are more overtly/intrusively religious than others. At the college level, Sanata Dharma is officially Jesuit but I think the majority of its students are Muslims.

At the primary/secondary level, the Mountainview international school in Salatiga, once called Central Java Mission School, was founded by missionaries of several denominations. But when I visited, I did not see any Christian symbols nor drawings/essays posted on the walls. However, I was told that if a child is doing poorly in his/her studies, several of the parents will pray for him/her.

Comment

Working...
            X