Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking made-to-order Furniture Jakarta

Hello everyone

I would like to know if there an area in Jakarta that has carpenters and/or cabinet makers who would make up a coffee table and TV table and some shelves for me (teak, mahogany or stained solid wood - i.e. nice quality).

I have designed it and made all the measurements, I just want it made up.

I have seen lots of places in Yogyakarta and Bali but I have not been all over Jakarta so I want to know if anyone has some hot tips.

Lucinda

Ciputat Raya

100 places can do it for you there.
    [FONT=Arial]"We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further."[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks so much! Will have a look next week...

Lucinda
      :-)

Comment

I second the comment by Cirebloke, Ciputat Raya is a good place in Jakarta to look for ready made teak furniture and to commission a custom piece, as well. If you want to cut out the middle man, take a trip to Jepara via Semarang. That town is wall to wall and door to door furniture shops and factories. Many of them do export quality teak and some specialize in single custom items. Prices are much more competitive than those you will likely be offered on Jalan Ciputat Raya. Some of the shops have web sites and will take your designs via email. If you don't want to go and see, everything can be done over the internet.

Comment

Jepara is a good place. Have visited and exported 3 - 4 containers to India in the past. They receive orders from all over the globe. One of out contacts was building a art work for export to Milan italy. trip via local airline in rp 800,000 ( 2 ways) , stay in semarnag hotel ( rp 500,000 / night) day trip to jepara by car rental ( rp 500,000 - drive included) . costly but u have the designs already..

Comment

Please sending to us your design ---> [email protected]
            we helping you to made it.

Comment

Hi Lucinda!
              Ciputat raya is actually the place to go In Jakarta but will still more expensive (as everything else) than other places in Central Java. Jepara is one of the place for all furnitures business, true. Than you will have to pay of course for the transport but if you do many items, it will be worth than to make it done in Jakarta for sure.
              Now comes the problems of the wood quality and the production and misunderstanding about what you want and especially about the finishing. For sure if you want a dark vernish, let me tell you they will use very bad quality of wood that you won't be able to see because of the dark vernish and even for a natural finishing... That's why you have to ask them if you want teak, to get the quotation for grade A and B (that still ok) + you have to inform what kind of finishing you want, natural unfinished, coating (you have different ones), etc...
              I am actually interior designer and have my own company in Jakarta, i can give you already a quotation for your designs that you will still be able to compare with other places. I am working with different factories mainly in Java and 1 in Jakarta. But trust me from my experience, it's not as easy to get reliable manufacturers that does good quality!
              You can contact me at : [email protected]
              Any case, good luck!
              Aurelie

Comment

Lucinda, We just ordered a number of pieces from Jepara. If you could email your design, I imagine the shop would be happy to quote you a price and send it to Jakarta with my shipment. They will probably be delivering to me in 4-6 weeks. PM me if you are interested.

Comment

Yeah...I think Jepara is good place when you looking for teak furniture.
                  The design still classic mostly of people looking for, and they have high grade for the teak material, but I don't know about the quality.
                  I mean when you see with ordinary eyes it's all good, but you must see the details likes dowel, hole pin (eyes of teak), the laminated, screw or nail and construction objects, it's all can blind you with cheap price and hi grade materials.
                  Waarmstrong can give you for the lesson...hehehe

Comment

Thanks everyone!

I managed to find a company in Kemang called Batawi who are getting it made for me in Jepara (I think). They have lots of samples in the workshop in Kemang and I gave them the designs and they priced it reasonably and I have to wait 2 weeks for delivery. The nice thing is they will finish it off at the workshop here in Kemang so I can select the exact colour I want. They speak good english and seem to be quite geared up for this, so lets wait and see.

If it all goes pear shaped I will let you know, but it is so inexpensive its worth the try!

I'll update once received. Thanks again!

Lucinda

Comment

Good show, Lucindya. I hope you get the value and style you expect, although Kemang and value usually don't go together well. It is a very common arrangement for rough furnishings to be shipped to Jakarta for final finishing. As you noted it gives the buyer an opportunity to select colors the match their decor and also allows you to view the quality of the Wood before it is hidden by an artful finisher. I will anxiously await your follow-up post.

Comment

cool post. let me look up Jiputat raya!

Comment

actually when it comes to wood, which is the best?

Teak? Mahagony? Cengal? Meranti? Jati?

Comment

Originally posted by pupjoint View Post
                            actually when it comes to wood, which is the best?

Teak? Mahagony? Cengal? Meranti? Jati?
                            jati means teak in Bahasa Indonesia. There is not much differences, however if you ask for teak in english rather than jati with an explanation of what you are looking for in BI, the price quoted may be slightly different... hehehe

Comment

Teak is very high quality wood. it is serviceable. it can survive from the weather changes. the texture of teak is beautiful and unique. but be carefull Mr. Pupjoint, because there many kind of teak (example: Sengon, White teak/"Jati Putih).........^^

Comment

Working...
                              X