Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to rent a car in Jkt without a driver for 3 months

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Want to rent a car in Jkt without a driver for 3 months

    Moving to Jkt and would like to rent a car for 3 months without driver. When I lived there back in the 1990's I rented a Kijang in that manner but now can't locate any sites to do so the same way.

    Anyone know of such a company or have a car themselves they'd care to rent out?

  • #4
    Padrino...you're welcome.

    I re-read your first post and suggest if you have not driven here since the 1990's, you may wish to review.

    The traffic in Jakarta is intense...unpleasant, indeed, downright chaotic. The manner of driving in this city is cut-throat, tedious, boring and something I would not recommend doing yourself.

    It does not make for an enjoyable vacation or three months stay.

    You may have other intentions, in which case, I'll butt out.... but if you would like information on how to make transportation in this city more acceptable, you only have to ask. There are many experts here.

    David

    Comment


    • #5
      itīd be good for others and to build the forumīs data if you could post the info that you received back from aimes...

      Comment


      • #6
        and liable to get lost, and parking is always an issue, negotiating with police when pull over.

        I'd 2nd the advice about a driver, it doesnt cost that much extra, but it sure as hell makes life easier.

        Comment


        • #7
          I dont know if it is the same company or not but I always use Adrian 021 326 39113

          He has several cars and drivers, if need be. I've found him very helpful and his prices are fair.

          (he delivers the car to your address!)

          Comment


          • #8
            Originally posted by kingwilly View Post
            I dont know if it is the same company or not but I always use Adrian 021 326 39113

            He has several cars and drivers, if need be. I've found him very helpful and his prices are fair.

            (he delivers the car to your address!)
            Just for info...I believe Adrian is the owner of Ames auto rental... The same Company that I previously posted about.
            Last edited by Davita; 05-12-09, 11:54. Reason: Changed meaning...original meaning sounded snotty and was incorrect.

            Comment


            • #9
              Originally posted by Davita View Post
              Just for info...I believe Adrian is the owner of Ames auto rental...as I previously posted.

              David
              aah, well I didnt see the post that mentioned that.

              Comment


              • #10
                First first 8 year stay in Indonesia I lived at BSD, traffic there was not a problem but did have a driver full time. Got'a live downtown this tour so with my limited driving in Jkt it is something I'm strongly considering. I've been driving in Ramallah, Palestine for the last year and have never witnessed as agressive a driving anywhere in my life as they have here so I'm tossed up on needing to hire a driver, which I'd have full time in Jkt if I go that way. I am heeding everyone's warnings on this. Just the car/driver will sit all day while I'm in the office and the 3in1 zoning I'd only use him 2x a day so might as well have a taxi. How's the traffic on weekends and evenings around town?What's the going rate for a full time driver these days???

                Comment


                • #11
                  Originally posted by Padrino View Post
                  First first 8 year stay in Indonesia I lived at BSD, traffic there was not a problem but did have a driver full time. Got'a live downtown this tour so with my limited driving in Jkt it is something I'm strongly considering. I've been driving in Ramallah, Palestine for the last year and have never witnessed as agressive a driving anywhere in my life as they have here so I'm tossed up on needing to hire a driver, which I'd have full time in Jkt if I go that way. I am heeding everyone's warnings on this. Just the car/driver will sit all day while I'm in the office and the 3in1 zoning I'd only use him 2x a day so might as well have a taxi. How's the traffic on weekends and evenings around town?What's the going rate for a full time driver these days???
                  BSD has changed massively in last 8 years.

                  traffic on weekends can be pretty bad too, particularly Kemang on saturday evenings.

                  going rate. about 1,000,000-2,000,000 monthly, plus daily allowance etc.

                  count on about 2,500,000-3,500,000 p/m

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    Hi again Padrino

                    Judging from your last post I suggest using a taxi is your best cost-effective plan.
                    We have been doing that for a couple of trips before going this route of hiring a car and driver.
                    I do suggest you only use Blue Bird Taxi Co.
                    If they have a station near your accommodation, I suggest finding a couple of drivers you are comfortable with and establish a cell phone call relationship, particularly if they learn your frequent destinations. This way you acquire an almost personal service but only pay the meter rate plus tip.

                    We were going to use Ames rental but a relation needed help so we rented a car from him. The going rate is about the same. We contract on a monthly basis for the car and the driver, who costs 1.25 J/ month, which we pay to the Rental Guy. In addition, we give the driver Rp 35,000/day paid weekly, in cash, for his meals. Additionally, we give him cash for petrol and he gives us a receipt and change. Also, we maintain with him a small cash fund for tolls, parking and tips, etc.

                    Hope this helps; please ask further if you have any specific questions.

                    David

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      Originally posted by Davita View Post
                      Hi again Padrino

                      Judging from your last post I suggest using a taxi is your best cost-effective plan.
                      We have been doing that for a couple of trips before going this route of hiring a car and driver.
                      I do suggest you only use Blue Bird Taxi Co.
                      If they have a station near your accommodation, I suggest finding a couple of drivers you are comfortable with and establish a cell phone call relationship, particularly if they learn your frequent destinations. This way you acquire an almost personal service but only pay the meter rate plus tip.

                      We were going to use Ames rental but a relation needed help so we rented a car from him. The going rate is about the same. We contract on a monthly basis for the car and the driver, who costs 1.25 J/ month, which we pay to the Rental Guy. In addition, we give the driver Rp 35,000/day paid weekly, in cash, for his meals. Additionally, we give him cash for petrol and he gives us a receipt and change. Also, we maintain with him a small cash fund for tolls, parking and tips, etc.

                      Hope this helps; please ask further if you have any specific questions.

                      David
                      Truly a good help David. I'm tossed up though as it is nice to have the freedom of mobility but I can see the idea that you have to give up a bit to gain some, like not driving in rush hour traffic.

                      I remember the 'Blue Bird Taxis' were the only to take and trust. I think a good idea is for me to get there, drop my bags and get busy at work using a taxi and see how it goes.

                      Thank you everyone!!

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Express taxis are good and trustworthy too, and their meter does not run as fast as Bluebirdīs.

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          We use Gamya, Express or Bluebird and find them all quite good. Sometimes we are forced to use TaxiKu and while they're always grimy and the rear suspension is almost invariably riding on the stops, we haven't had any problems with them to date. There are plenty of taxi companies on the Jakarta Police blacklist though...

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X