Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing car for Diplomatic use

Hi all,

I've done my very best to search these forums for my answer (no luck), but I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on how I could import my car for personal use in Jakarta. I will be under Diplomatic Privilege and the car would carry Diplomatic plates. I'm aware that I would be entitled to purchase up to one locally produced vehicle tax free, and/or one foreign built car tax free. I own a perfectly good right hand drive VW Golf (2011), and would prefer to import and use that vehicle.

I've heard there are somewhere in the order of 300% import duty (the car's value is perhaps ~AUD15,000, ~USD9000), but I've read this is for second hand cars. I'm the second owner of this vehicle. I obviously have no intention of paying upwards of AUD45,000 in import duties if this is the only way.

If anyone could provide advice on how I could import my car, or any recommended options in purchasing a car once I arrive, that would be very much appreciated. I have no issue waiting for a few months without a car once I arrive.

Many thanks all,

Grant

You can find people selling their own diplomatic vehicles pretty easily. I don't think you will be able to import a used vehicle here.

Here is a recent post:

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...omatic-plates)
    Last edited by Jaime C; 27-12-15, 16:13.
    Sasa Bule is having a bayi!

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2017 View Post
      Hi all,

I've done my very best to search these forums for my answer (no luck), but I was hoping someone may be able to shed some light on how I could import my car for personal use in Jakarta. I will be under Diplomatic Privilege and the car would carry Diplomatic plates. I'm aware that I would be entitled to purchase up to one locally produced vehicle tax free, and/or one foreign built car tax free. I own a perfectly good right hand drive VW Golf (2011), and would prefer to import and use that vehicle.

I've heard there are somewhere in the order of 300% import duty (the car's value is perhaps ~AUD15,000, ~USD9000), but I've read this is for second hand cars. I'm the second owner of this vehicle. I obviously have no intention of paying upwards of AUD45,000 in import duties if this is the only way.

If anyone could provide advice on how I could import my car, or any recommended options in purchasing a car once I arrive, that would be very much appreciated. I have no issue waiting for a few months without a car once I arrive.

Many thanks all,

Grant
      Your questions would be better put to the diplomatic entity sponsoring your privileges. Perhaps you have been down that road; could it be that they burst into laughter when you suggested diplomatic plates to import a five year old VW?

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
        Your questions would be better put to the diplomatic entity sponsoring your privileges. Perhaps you have been down that road; could it be that they burst into laughter when you suggested diplomatic plates to import a five year old VW?
        Hi waarmstrong. Thanks for your reply. I haven't put the question to them just yet, but I appreciate the advice. Personally, I think taking my five year old VW is just fine (equal to and better condition than many advertised here). Best of luck with your sarcasm. I hope it's serving you well in life to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaime C View Post
          You can find people selling their own diplomatic vehicles pretty easily. I don't think you will be able to import a used vehicle here.

Here is a recent post:

http://www.livinginindonesiaforum.or...omatic-plates)
          Thanks for your productive reply Jaime C.

Comment

Hi waarmstrong. Thanks for your reply. I haven't put the question to them just yet, but I appreciate the advice. Personally, I think taking my five year old VW is just fine (equal to and better condition than many advertised here). Best of luck with your sarcasm. I hope it's serving you well in life to date.
            Favoring a direct rather than diplomat tenor, the point is importing any used car to Indonesia for personal use is legal a non-starter. The excepting may be through formal diplomatic channels. Not having any experience with diplomatic privileges, I cannot offer anything beyond surprise that you have not explored that obvious possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by waarmstrong View Post
              ... I cannot offer anything beyond surprise that you have not explored that obvious possibility.
              I've read some of the official guides, however you might be interested to note that I put my question to the forum two days after Christmas. You can appreciate how many of my colleagues are sitting at work waiting to answer questions like these. I cannot offer anything beyond surprise that you did not consider this.

Comment

I personally never heard of any diplomat importing used car they are usually given new one if it is a new vacancy and if it is "replacement" then you will get the previous employee's car.

I have been told it is very (if not impossible) difficult to import any used cars, motorcycles to Indonesia for a "mere mortals".

I would ask your HR for more information or whoever is responsible for your diplomatics's cars in your working place. If the person in charge is not available just wait few days until he/she will come back.

Just a note: I am not sure Indonesian Tax Office will take into account your AUS $ car's estimation value to calculate tax (in case something would go wrong with the import taxation). They are more likely to take the LOCAL value of the car and then calculate your tax. What I would ask myself is: Is it really worth all the hassle and nerves? Isn't it better to sell the car in AUS, come to Indonesia get the local one, after you are done with working in Indonesia go back to AUS buy new/used one?

Comment

... You can appreciate how many of my colleagues are sitting at work waiting to answer questions like these...
                  Yes I can, and I am still wondering if they will be amused, once the question of importing one's personal used car in the diplomatic pouch is put to them. Please do let us all know what your colleagues have to say when they get back from Bali. Follow-up is usually helpful, anticipating that the question could come up again.

Comment

The only person that can import vehicle used or new is only Diplomat.

Your embassy here will apply for the PP8 with the Ministry of Finance and hand over to us the logistic company for import customs declaration duties and tax free.

The whole process should be done in a week to 10 days after arrival.

Let me know if u need more infor as we are currently handling the importation for the New Australia Embassy.

Comment

This says it all:
                      Import mobil bekas tetap bisa masuk walaupun di larang tetapi bisa masuk tetapi di persulit .

It's a bit like importing pets in Bali. According to the law, the import of 2nd hand vehicles is not allowed. And of course there are tricks with parts or pretending it to be a new vehicle. And the diplomatic "arrangement" is a complete mud pool; the resell and profit taking was somewhat restricted some years ago but as usual, rules are there to be....
                      [FONT=arial black]
                      [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by jstar View Post
                        This says it all:

It's a bit like importing pets in Bali. According to the law, the import of 2nd hand vehicles is not allowed. ....
                        What is the situation in Batam? Lots of second hand cars there, from Singapore I think.
                        (I know it's an island)

Comment

Same in Aceh. (Well, there it is more exceptional measure by local government. ) Special local regulation. But can not leave to rest of RI. Well, officially.
                          Last edited by jstar; 30-12-15, 19:20.
                          [FONT=arial black]
                          [/FONT]

Comment

Hi. Its easy for diplomats to import cars. also its a lot cheaper for diplomats to import cbu from other asia / australia than buying directly to local auto dealer... they charge you a lot

Comment

Thank you all for the useful information. This backs up the information I was aware of, and I did (despite what that 'waarmstrong' seems to believe) think it was worth seeking the 'ground truth' as it were from this forum. It certainly looks like I'll be selling my car!
                              Last edited by wm; 03-01-16, 04:37. Reason: deleted the name calling

Comment

Working...
                              X