PDA

View Full Version : Kitas Age Restriction

zzzaa
23-04-13, 17:08
Hi, I am hearing different views on whether there is an age restriction for expats (with expertise in accepted areas) seeking to obtain a work visa. For example, on the teacher's forum there are comments that expats cannot work beyond 60 years of age and some say this is being increasingly enforced. Does this apparent restriction only apply to TESOL teachers or is it across the board in Indonesia? Could someone please clarify this for me as I am somewhat confused. I rang up our local Indonesian embassy and they said they are not aware of any upper age restriction. If there is a restriction, would you be able to point out to me the relevant law / documentation (in Indonesian or English).

My apologies if there is already a thread on this which I have missed.

Thanks.

marcus
25-04-13, 17:37
(1) .. I am hearing different views on whether there is an age restriction for expats (with expertise in accepted areas) seeking to obtain a work visa.

(2) ... Does this apparent restriction only apply to TESOL teachers or is it across the board in Indonesia? Could someone please clarify this for me as I am somewhat confused...

(3) .. If there is a restriction, would you be able to point out to me the relevant law / documentation (in Indonesian or English)...

(1) Just to clarify , there is no age restriction in the "work visa" (ITAS/KITAS/Temporary Residency Permit) from the Immigration Department . The age restriction , if exists , is related to the Work Permit from the Manpower Department (which can involve other government Departments like : Education , Oil & Gas , ...) , or related to each employer's own requirement .

From what I learned in this Forum , some say there is age restriction , but at least one poster said the Indonesian regulation for hiring foreigners doesn't mention any age restriction .

I have a feeling that Indonesian companies tend to retire Indonesian workers at the age of 55 to 60 , and so they may extend this "work philosophy" to foreign workers too .

(2) I don't know .

(3) Sorry , I don't know the related Laws/Regulations .

waarmstrong
25-04-13, 17:54
I don't have a statutory cite, but I know its next to impossible to get offered a teaching job if you are beyond 60. But as far as I know (hearsay only) the age restriction does not apply to administrators, and I assume, to other careers.

If you are over 60 and get a non-teaching job offer, I have no idea if the company when applying to Manpower for the work permit would have problems.

Anglian
26-04-13, 09:41
I worked for an Indonesian company till I was 73, then retired much to the dismay of the company who wanted me to continue work.

waarmstrong
26-04-13, 11:32
Maybe an expat working beyond 60 is viewed different than hiring an expat beyond 60.

simkes
26-04-13, 11:39
SKKMigas (oil and gas) impose an age limit of 60 on approved staff (permamant and DTPC positions). If you work through a service company agreement then that does not go through SKKMigas and so age is not an issue. You can get dispensation if you can prove there is no national that can do your work. If you have KITAP that also helps.

zzzaa
29-04-13, 08:52
Hi - thank you to everyone for taking the time out to reply. Although there is some variation depending on circumstances and the area of employment, things are now much clearer. At the time of posting I thought it may be impossible for someone 60+ years to obtain a work visa - now I see that is not necessarily the case.