PDA

View Full Version : Sending money to Indonesia

tristan
08-01-09, 19:54
Hi,

I would like to send some money to my girlfriend. She being in Indonesia, and me in France. My bank asks her Iban and Swift number, but my girlfriend tells me she has no IBAN number. Her bank is BCA in Sukabumi. Do you think it's possible, or she just asked the wrong person?

Thank you in advance if you can help me..

Tristan

Black Adder
08-01-09, 22:12
IBAN? I have never heard of Iban and I have made several transfers between many many banks. Get a translation, the Swift code all banks have she just asked the wrong person.

IndoMom
08-01-09, 22:50
Perhaps it was meant to be her ROUTING and ACCOUNT numbers ?....never heards about IBAN..

astrid
08-01-09, 22:52
Tristan, your gf was asking a wrong person, my dad send me fr USA and every BCA Bank must have IBAN and switch code, tell your gf to ask the bank manager

tristan
08-01-09, 22:53
IBAN means International Bank Account Number

My girlfriend gave me a SWIFT code and her account number, but my bank is really asking for that IBAN...

I will ask my bank again because this doesn't seem right...

Thanks!

tristan
08-01-09, 23:00
Tristan, your gf was asking a wrong person, my dad send me fr USA and every BCA Bank must have IBAN and switch code, tell your gf to ask the bank manager

Ok, thanks for the infos, I will ask her to ask somebody else. She alreeady called a few times but maybe she didn't talk to the right person

sumyunggai
08-01-09, 23:57
Hi,

I would like to send some money to my girlfriend. She being in Indonesia, and me in France. My bank asks her Iban and Swift number, but my girlfriend tells me she has no IBAN number. Her bank is BCA in Sukabumi. Do you think it's possible, or she just asked the wrong person?

Tristan

There is some information here:

http://www.joycore.eu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=72&Itemid=124

Black Adder
08-01-09, 23:58
If that is what the IBAN means then I would assume that the IBAN is sorted via the SWIFT code in to the right bank's account and then downward to the personal account of the person. BUt I have never been asked for an IBAN.

atlantis
09-01-09, 01:35
Tristan, je fais régulièrement des virements de France sur nos comptes à la BCA, la BII, ou d'autres banques indonésiennes. Je me sers uniquement du numéro de compte courant et du code SWIFT de la banque, qui s'apparente à l'IBAN que nos banques françaises utilisent. La BCA de ton amie le lui fournira. Tu n'as besoin de rien d'autre.

marcus
09-01-09, 09:01
IBAN means International Bank Account Number
My girlfriend gave me a SWIFT code and her account number, but my bank is really asking for that IBAN...
I will ask my bank again because this doesn't seem right...
Thanks!
I already sent from South America to BCA(Bandung-Indonesia) once and more than 10 times to others Indonesian banks , always with the SWIFT code and the NORMAL account number (if did not change , BCA SWIFT is CENAIDJA). I now use Bank Nusantara Parahyangan (BNP) which offer better exchange rates than BCA and no additional fee . Almost 5 years ago BCA used to charge USD5 for each transfer and , if the account is in Indonesian currency (Rp), they immediately exchange the foreign currency to Rp . At BNP , the client has 3 days to allow them to exchange to Rp .

atlantis
09-01-09, 19:32
I already sent from Brazil to BCA(Bandung-Indonesia) once and more than 10 times to others Indonesian banks , always with the SWIFT code and the NORMAL account number (if did not change , BCA SWIFT is CENAIDJA). .
BCA swift code is still CENAIDJA.

stt_cibubur
11-01-09, 20:48
I think at the moment Indonesia dont use IBAN ( not yet)..Mainland Europe and China already using it. I know this because very often I did TT to China and Belgium.

Endahk
12-01-09, 10:36
BCA doesn't have IBAN, they use sort code which is already mentioned above 'CENAIDJA'. I sent my mom some money last year to her BCA's account. You'll just need some details such as : acount's name holder, acc no, sort code, and the branch address. BCA only charged Rp 10,000 for each transfer but I don't know how good the rate is compared to other banks. Alternatively Tristan, why don't you use money transfer service such as western union or moneygram? It's gonna be easier and faster.

Helen_of_Troy
12-01-09, 10:41
Yep, should look into western union or moneygram. Convenient and fast. Not only that, you can send it online using your credit card without going to any branch. And you dont need all those codes and bla bla bla...LOL

stt_cibubur
12-01-09, 14:00
Internet banking is my way this day..no need to go anywhere..just fill the detail once and keep it on the transfer list forever.
For payment/reload voucher/local transfer to all bank in Indonesia I use mobile banking..very convenience..anywhere..anytime.

marcus
12-01-09, 20:33
............................. Alternatively Tristan, why don't you use money transfer service such as western union or moneygram? It's gonna be easier and faster.
From what I checked in the internet , MoneyGram (normally better than Western Union , according remittanceprices.worldbank.org) is a good alternative only for people remitting from USA . Even so , be careful because although the fixed fee is as low as USD15 , their exchange rate for the USD/Rupiah , tonight is Rp10,651.9 , and at Reuters(economy news) it is Rp11,025 (also tonight), or about 3.5% difference . At the Bandung's biggest money changer and at Bank Nusantara Parahyangan , the difference from Reuters is normally less than 0.9% .

theo1006
18-01-09, 19:40
Confirm what Marcus said.
I regularly transfer money form my bank account in the Netherlands to my account with BCA, using:
swift code = CENAIDJA
IBAN = the ordinary bank account number.

Can be done online and the money arrives within one or two days.

irma1812
20-01-09, 06:54
Yep moneygram & western union transfers are instantaneous, have used these many times before. Great for those urgent transfers anyway.

waarmstrong
20-01-09, 16:49
Perhaps this only works for those with USDs as their home currency, but we set up a USD account as well as a Rupiah account first at Lippo and currently at Mandiri. We periodically transfer from our US bank account to the Mandiri USD account. This arrangement seems to give us more control -- meaning we can convert to Rupiah when the rate appears favorable.

One recent problem we have experienced is that Mandiri has shut off customers' ability to make on-line transfers from USD to Rupiah accounts. They say the government made them do it, in order to control foreign currency exchanges. I don't follow the logic. The problem is the conversion of Rupiah to dollars that then take flight (to Singapore usually), but the conversion of dollars to Rupiah would seem to be a mitigating influence. Why are they making it more difficult? Going to the brick and mortar bank to do transactions is so medieval.

Does anyone know if BCA has also stopped internet transfers from USD accounts?

Cicie Williams
22-01-09, 16:29
Hi,

Tristan

Hey Tristan ,

i think for the easy to send your girlfriend money just using Paypal account www.paypal.com . U know my fiancee just register paypal for our account and he just sent me money through the site...and im using BCA too. Its very easy...

i hope its help you. Good Luck

Cicie & Kevin Williams

vivere periculoso
22-01-09, 22:06
Either your bank is stupid,many countries do not have IBAN,or it is smart,keeping your money without interest while they use it.CHANGE BANK.

geena
22-02-09, 08:11
Hi,

Just want to share what I know the differences between IBAN, SWIFT/BIC and Normal Account number. I am not an expert, only because everyday working with IBAN, SWIFT and Account number make me used to it. There is no intention to underestimate other replies. :D

IBAN: International Bank Account Number

It's not only contain with account number but also country code, bank code and even branch of the bank. This is the reason some banks (in europe mostly) ask their customers to give IBAN number (better) than only an account number. Ussually start with 2 letters which giving identification of the country.But doesn't mean we can do the transfer without giving IBAN.
Some banks give more charges when no IBAN number is mentioned on the transfer with the purpose helping to cut the transferring charges. Because they still need to transfer the money from Bank Indonesia to the beneficiary bank. And later to the branch which I don't know if there is more charges will be taken.
As STT_cibubur said, Indonesian bank don't used to with IBAN yet. But doesn't mean you can't ask for it.

SWIFT/BIC: Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication/ Bank Identifier Code

Codes how bank communicate each other.
If I'm not mistaken, Tristan, your bank is ABN AMRO. :) (sorry if I'm wrong)
They ask this when we do online banking and when we can't give IBAN, we get charges more. And it is what happens.

Examples:
ABN AMRO in Holland has swift code: ABNANL2A >> NL: Netherlands, 2A: Amsterdam
BCA Indonesisa has swift code: CENAIDJA >> ID: Indonesia, JA: Jakarta

Contains with 8 digits. First 4 are for the name of the bank, next 4 for location. More helpful if contain 11 digits because the last 3 digits giving the branch code.

Account number: we already know. :)

In my opinion, from Holland (where I live and work), transferring money with western union is not really a good choice because the charges is too big. Maybe it's good from other country.

stt_cibubur
23-02-09, 11:28
This is sample of IBAN : GB45MIDL40131422744420 , which mean this bank is in Great Britain then follow by bank code and area and account number.

SWIFT code example, Bank Permata ( ex Bank Bali) is BBBAIDJA, Citibank is CITI???, BII is IBBKIDJA
There is also Sort Code sometime to be use in transaction.

kingwilly
24-02-09, 10:34
western union do the same thing.

cos you could jsut send her a credit card.

Black Adder
24-02-09, 11:19
western union do the same thing.

cos you could jsut send her a credit card.

Spot on there Wills, a supplementary card would do the lass some good, give her a bit of freedom and a sense of responsibility...............

kingwilly
24-02-09, 11:36
Spot on there Wills, a supplementary card would do the lass some good, give her a bit of freedom and a sense of responsibility...............

freedom yes, responsibility... hmmm, not so sure.

ah, but what the heck, tis in the name of love, after all.

Black Adder
24-02-09, 11:44
freedom yes, responsibility... hmmm, not so sure.

ah, but what the heck, tis in the name of love, after all.

There you go King, love conquers all..............

ohmdafyd
24-02-09, 12:14
Internet banking is my way this day..no need to go anywhere..just fill the detail once and keep it on the transfer list forever.
For payment/reload voucher/local transfer to all bank in Indonesia I use mobile banking..very convenience..anywhere..anytime.

sama saya...in Australia..
...but how to use Internet to tranfer funds from OS to Indonesian bank?

Black Adder
24-02-09, 12:24
sama saya...in Australia..
...but how to use Internet to tranfer funds from OS to Indonesian bank?

I would assume the same way to use the Internet banking to transfer from an Indonesian based bank to an account overseas, I have had no problem doing it.

kingwilly
24-02-09, 12:30

I would assume the same way to use the Internet banking to transfer from an Indonesian based bank to an account overseas, I have had no problem doing it.

but i think the internet banking is different in Indonesia....

Black Adder
24-02-09, 12:36
but i think the internet banking is different in Indonesia....

Not really, I have transferred money overseas via Internet banking, guess it depends on the bank's setup and you have to know what to say on the transfer so it does not get flagged by the bank or BI.

kingwilly
24-02-09, 12:41
Not really, I have transferred money overseas via Internet banking, guess it depends on the bank's setup and you have to know what to say on the transfer so it does not get flagged by the bank or BI.

Are you sure, i thought they used different wires and electricity...

ohmdafyd
24-02-09, 12:43

Seriously... I would like to find out how to do this.
what does 'being flagged' by the bank mean?

ohmdafyd
24-02-09, 12:43

he he he.. :}

Black Adder
24-02-09, 12:47
Seriously... I would like to find out how to do this.
what does 'being flagged' by the bank mean?

If you go over a certain limit it gets flagged, if you are transferring and put down the worng reason or the wrong source of money you are transferring it get's flagged. Best to consult with your bank in Indonesia what they need, our relationship manger clued us in to what we need to fill out and what to say.

Black Adder
24-02-09, 12:49

Yes a very good point which is often looked over,you have to make sure the receiving bank is 220v-240v.

ohmdafyd
24-02-09, 12:58
If you go over a certain limit it gets flagged, if you are transferring and put down the worng reason or the wrong source of money you are transferring it get's flagged. Best to consult with your bank in Indonesia what they need, our relationship manger clued us in to what we need to fill out and what to say.

ahhh mengerti...thanks.

So it's the same as when you go to the library in the US, and take out a book on let's say 'how to fly a 747', you get 'flagged' and then a visit from homeland secuirty follows.

kingwilly
24-02-09, 13:17
ahhh mengerti...thanks.

So it's the same as when you go to the library in the US, and take out a book on let's say 'how to fly a 747', you get 'flagged' and then a visit from homeland secuirty follows.

depends if you are using 110 or 220 lecky

Liamm_1
06-10-09, 12:35
I'm looking for the latest info regarding Intl. transfer. No new posts since February. It appears Moneygram no longer offers online transfers, and bank transfer from my bank costs more than even Western Union. I'm going to look into PayPal, but other than what has been mentioned here, what's the latest info on best money transfer? thanks :)

marcus
07-10-09, 00:12
I used to transfer by SWIFT (wire transfer type) , in which you can select the best sending and receiving banks as each one has different fees/exchanging rates . Fortunately there is at least one bank in Indonesia which has USD buy/sell rate of less than 1% , no receiving fee and SWIFT sending fee of just USD5 . I would suggest www.moneybookers.com for you , but there is no free fund upload from USA .

thisldome
07-10-09, 15:24
I do international cash transfers via the internet from a few different countries all the time; I find it better to transfer like for like (USD to USD) as you’re not subject to the banks exchange rate. I also do USD to IDR from with in Indonesia and have never had an issue, a while back my wife had to sign a form confirming where the cash was coming form and the bank in Indonesia generally hangs on to it before releasing it for 24Hrs to make sure that its all above board…so they say

You will need to keep it under USD10K or equivalent not to raise a flag, although we have transferred more than that on occasion with out an issue. I only use the swift code and bank account numbers which you should be able to get from the net. I was initially doing it via western union, which is a pain and the exchange rates where unfavorable but its quick and good emergencies.

jigoku
23-04-10, 22:56
my friend in sri lanka want to send some money.but he asked me to give him a sponsorship letter from my university.unfortunately,my university dont have such that letter..
what should i do then??

i have asked my friend to transfer via western union,he said that western union from his country only receive money,,not to transfer,..

pls help :(

thx in advance

sglange
24-04-10, 05:03
Sending money from oversea to Indonesia is very simple as I have done it for many years, i.e., sending money to my family. All you need is the account number of a savings/current account, thereafter do a t.t. or telegraphic transfer. Within two or three days, your family or friend will received the amount that was send from an oversea country.

marcus
24-04-10, 10:20
my friend in sri lanka want to send some money.but he asked me to give him a sponsorship letter from my university...
I believe there is a Sri Lanka's restriction to send money abroad . I would recommend him to try other alternatives of money transfer . In my country you can do it through : a bank , post office , credit/debit card ,.. I think in his case , credit/debit card , if possible , will not require that letter (using for example www.moneybookers.com (http://www.moneybookers.com) , he can open an account , deposit some money there though a credit or debit card , and from there , transfer to your bank account) .
From your side , if you are studying in a university , I think it is not so difficult to get a letter from it . Ask your friend a sample letter and provide it to the university .

jigoku
30-04-10, 17:27
Sending money from oversea to Indonesia is very simple as I have done it for many years, i.e., sending money to my family. All you need is the account number of a savings/current account, thereafter do a t.t. or telegraphic transfer. Within two or three days, your family or friend will received the amount that was send from an oversea country.

if its so easy,,why my friend cant do it easily??
:confused2:

jigoku
30-04-10, 17:33
I believe there is a Sri Lanka's restriction to send money abroad . I would recommend him to try other alternatives of money transfer . In my country you can do it through : a bank , post office , credit/debit card ,.. I think in his case , credit/debit card , if possible , will not require that letter (using for example www.moneybookers.com (http://www.moneybookers.com) , he can open an account , deposit some money there though a credit or debit card , and from there , transfer to your bank account) .
From your side , if you are studying in a university , I think it is not so difficult to get a letter from it . Ask your friend a sample letter and provide it to the university .

i see,,
i have tried to get the letter,but the admin staff said that if its a personal problem,you dont have to ask the sponsorship letter....besides,the sponsorship letter(in english, not in bahasa indonesia) is not available in my college...