PDA

View Full Version : How I get around in Bogor and Jakarta

rabbit_39
01-11-10, 09:46
Aside from chauffeured private/rented cars that is.

- intracity buses, KOPAJA in Jakarta (Koperasi Angkutan Jakarta, Jakarta transportation cooperation). They have numbers and routes associated with those numbers. Non air conditioned, and when they're full, the sardines laugh at you for getting on. Notice the ones that pass by around the areas you want to be in. Later, when you're farther away you can hop on those same ones. Rp 2000

- intercity buses. The one I use to go from Bogor to Jakarta and back every day is called Agra Mas. Many other private companies serve this market. Rp 11500

- angkots/microlets. Tiny buses, smaller than American minivans, some are Kijangs. The back seats are configured to hold as many people as possible. I've counted 14 people total in the car and 3 live chickens. Again they have routes and route numbers. Just like buses, notice the ones around the area you want to be in (your house, your favorite supermarket, etc). The big disadvantage is when these guys sit around waiting for their vehicle to get full before they take off. Angkots will serve smaller roads than buses Rp 2500

*Note: neither angkots or buses have a set schedule or stops. You tell them you want to get off about 20 meters or less beforehand and if you're lucky they'll stop. If not they'll slow down.

- Busway buses. I've only taken these one time. Air conditioned, will get full enough that the sardines laugh at you. But seems to be more organized, schedules, stops and all. They are limited to the busways so they get used to get across Jakarta rather than point to point. Rp 3000

- Taxis. Pretty obvious. I was told to be careful with the ones who cheat with the meters. The most reliable one I've been told is Bluebird.

- Bajaj. If you know what tuk-tuks are in Thailand, this is the Indonesian version. Bajaj is actually a motorcycle manufacturer. They make these three wheeled atrocities and since they're cheap (I mean cheap, not inexpensive), many people use them for a business. You bargain for how much you want to pay to get from one place to another. It's not bad when you're in it, usually pretty horrible when you're behind it

- Ojek. Motocycle taxis. They're basically just like a Bajaj, but on two wheels. You bargain for how much you want to pay for the ride. If it's raining, expect to pay more both on the Bajaj and Ojek. Watch your knee, since you're riding in the back, depending on the motorcycle, your knee might be the widest point of the whole contraption. And trust me, the ojek driver will slip into some tight spots that will scrape your knee. Amazingly, aside from light brushes on other cars, my knee is still intact (at least from the ojek experience).

- Becak. Pedicab. Whatever. The driver sits behind you on this three wheeled contraption and they pedal you to your destination. Bargain for how much you want to pay for the ride.

*Note in all of the above transportation methods except the taxi, wear your backpack in front. Separate your money and never take out your big bills. Don't have anything in your back pocket. Hold your bags/purse tightly. When you're on a becak or ojek, people have been known to grab your belongings and ride away on their motorcycle. Pick pockets in angkots and buses.

*Note: I'm not trying to discourage people from taking the above transportations, just some precautions and general info. As a matter of fact, other than the taxi and the buses and obviously becak, the other ones are your best bet to get from one place to another FAST (ojek, bajaj and angkot). They rely on high turn over of passengers so the fastest they get you from one place to another the more money they make.

*I don't know where to find schedules (or at least routes) of these things.\

- http://www.nebeng.com/ and other websites list the different car pool options.

mayasaputri
02-11-10, 16:19
thanks rabbit, this is so helpful.

more information, transjakarta (busway) has their website, very handy with the route and maps. http://www.transjakarta.co.id/

you forget to mention "train". KRL is the best option to get to Bogor, or can be used as alternative transportation inside Jakarta area. .... here's the link to KRL's schedule: http://www.krl.co.id/index.php/Info-Jadwal-KA-Commuter.html

Gratilla
02-11-10, 16:49
Well done Rabbit. Have tried them all (except bajaj and becak). Public transport is a well-kept secret from many/most expats, particularly as the routes are often not well advertised.

Very impressed with Agra Mas clean, well-maintained buses/coaches.

Also, throw DAMRI buses/coaches into the pot for tooing and froing to/from the airport to/from many locations (including Bogor).

BTW, IMO Bluebird have been sitting on their fat reputation for far too long. They have been overtaken by companies such as Express (my favourite) and others. I've had too many bad experiences with BB in the past couple of years to make them NOT an automatic choice. For the premium price they charge, they ought to get their finger out. Again IMO.

rabbit_39
03-11-10, 08:39
Very impressed with Agra Mas clean, well-maintained buses/coaches.

Also, throw DAMRI buses/coaches into the pot for tooing and froing to/from the airport to/from many locations (including Bogor).

BTW, IMO Bluebird have been sitting on their fat reputation for far too long. They have been overtaken by companies such as Express (my favourite) and others. I've had too many bad experiences with BB in the past couple of years to make them NOT an automatic choice.

Yep, for Rp 11500, a 50-60 minute ride in a clean, well air conditioned bus is more than worth it. I've had to stand up in it, but that's ok. Beats standing on the side of the street waiting for the next one.

DAMRI, just found out about it, same day you posted this. My usual bus after Agra Mas to get home is Trans Pakuan (Intracity bus). Their usual bus stop is closed and moved to the same lot as DAMRI.

Good to know about BB, I don't know much about taxis except to flag one down and pay the price on the meter.

83cece83
03-11-10, 10:10
- intercity buses. The one I use to go from Bogor to Jakarta and back every day is called Agra Mas. Many other private companies serve this market. Rp 11500

Don't forget the train :)
I used to take train from Jakarta to Bogor (Pakuan Express - AC). It takes only 1 or the worse 1.5 hr from Tanah Abang or Sudirman to Bogor
Ticket is around 11,000 or 12,000 i forgot :P

rabbit_39
03-11-10, 11:21
Don't forget the train :)

You're right, I'm forgetting the trains, because I haven't taken the train yet. Good thing y'alls are here to keep this thread honest. Keep adding, hopefully it'll be a good source of info for people trying to get around. Even if you have a car and driver, never know when you'll have to take public transport.

malvi
04-11-10, 09:58
when departing from bogor I highly recommend using the train to save time and comfortable enough

mayasaputri
04-11-10, 17:29
BTW, IMO Bluebird have been sitting on their fat reputation for far too long. They have been overtaken by companies such as Express (my favourite) and others. I've had too many bad experiences with BB in the past couple of years to make them NOT an automatic choice. For the premium price they charge, they ought to get their finger out. Again IMO.

oh no, I have some bad experiences riding Express. So now I'm very careful to pick the taxi I am going to ride. BB is still my first choice (know 2 drivers and have their cell number just in case I need a fast pick up).

rabbit_39
04-11-10, 20:33
I was told that there is no good way to get from the train station to Kemang. It's better to take the Agra Mas bus to Lebak Bulus since it gets out at Cilandak/Ampera. Any thoughts?

davobali
17-11-10, 11:35

In Bali - I wouldnt use anyone else other than bluebird , but in Jakarta I too found express to be OK and also much cheaper than bluebird .
The Train to Bogor ..... Ive caught the non-air conditioned ecconomy train and it was so completely packed and awfull (with pickpockets everywhere) , its better to wait for the airconditioned train as it a pleasure in comparison , it is clean and uncrowded and cool , but sorry I dont know the timetables of when they run.

mayasaputri
17-11-10, 22:24
I was told that there is no good way to get from the train station to Kemang. It's better to take the Agra Mas bus to Lebak Bulus since it gets out at Cilandak/Ampera. Any thoughts?

I think Agra mas is the best choice for going to Kemang area.

rabbit_39
18-11-10, 12:19
A link for some routes in Jakarta:
http://www.rutebusway.com/

rabbit_39
18-11-10, 12:21
I think Agra mas is the best choice for going to Kemang area.

Thanks, you're right so far. I haven't found any other good way. From Ampera toll entrance to the bus terminal in Bogor it's about 1 hour. If I walk away from Ampera to make sure I get a seat, that 100-200 meter difference can be an additional 15-30 minutes.

haryadi
19-11-10, 01:57
Nearest train station from Kemang is Pasar Minggu . but I dont know whether there is direct kopaja/mikrolot/metromini route from Kemang/warung buncit to Pasar minggu

There are 3 types of train Jakarta-Bogor.
Ekonomi - non AC ..Rp. 2000 ,stop in every stations
Ekonomi AC , Rp. 5500 , stop in every stations
Pakuan Express AC , Rp. 9500 , only stop in large stations